DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 08:49   #16
G0SVN
Administrator

External Antenna Connection

Thanks for the tip about the 10dB attenuator and the 22nF DC blocking capacitor.

I must confess that I use the receiver as my bedside radio on VHF Band III DAB. Here in the UK, the BBC World Service is available 24 hours a day on DAB, so I often listen to this station in bed. I have found that the 27024 is not quite as sensitive as it could be, so I was planning to mainly connect it to a roof mounted Band III dipole.

I did think about a switchable attenuator, but as I was mainly going to use the radio at VHF, and I did not want to modify the radio too much, I decided not to include it internally. (I also completely removed the internal telescopic antenna, as this made the modification easier). The plan is, if overload is a problem at HF, to just use an inline coaxial attenuator.

I will add a DC blocking capacitor, but will check the chosen component at 200 MHz on a network analyzer first.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:45   #17
Digger

Hi Neil,

I understand. Then your solution is perfect. I was thinking Short Wave... and I haven't even checked mine much on DAB ...

It seems, at least in Stockholm, there is not much action on DAB. One private station I stumbled over when I looked for DAB channels gave up 31st December 2013 and is now (back?) on FM. Reason: The high costs for the broadcast licenses on DAB.

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/web....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 06:02   #18
ianf

More stock on its way on Amazon, only Morphy nothing else yet
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 08:01   #19
ianf

Remote control

Further to other posts, I've tried firing a remote control at the receiver, in learning mode, with no response so far, I'm assuming it was never written into the code, as the module supports it. It would be the obvious way to dial in frequencies
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 20:36   #20
PhilipOneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
Further to other posts, I've tried firing a remote control at the receiver, in learning mode, with no response so far, I'm assuming it was never written into the code, as the module supports it. It would be the obvious way to dial in frequencies

Thanks for checking, Ian.

And if anyone else ever gets it to work, I want to know!

Philip
PhilipOneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 23:44   #21
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipOneL
Thanks for checking, Ian.

And if anyone else ever gets it to work, I want to know!

Philip

I've modified mine and have'nt seen any components behind that spot. Futher, on my Morphy the "Line In" is "Line out" and vice versa - adds to the confusion.

Old 21-02-2015, 12:06   #22
PhilipOneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
I've modified mine and have'nt seen any components behind that spot. Futher, on my Morphy the "Line In" is "Line out" and vice versa - adds to the confusion.

Ha! I just checked mine (which I don't normally use) and they are correctly labelled. I'm listening to that now -- plugged into a pair of computer speakers.

After an initial couple of months of complete aggravation with my 27024, it has come to be my main shortwave receiver, used 99% of the time to receive AM (rather than DRM). I like it for its ability to produce a listenable sound on comparatively poor signals. That is, of course, a very subjective conclusion -- and I continue to wonder if it actually represents the possibility that (as with some sets reported) the set's tweeter is not connected! However, the Line Out signal in my external speakers produces a sound better than my Satellit 750 next to it. At this moment I am listening to the country music show on R Australia 9580. I get clearest highs from the computer speakers while better bass is coming from the 27024's own speaker(s).

Terje, have you figured out what the USB-like outlet on the back is for? I don't know if I have ever seen a plug quite that shape before.

Philip
Old 22-02-2015, 01:15   #23
Digger

Quote:
Ha! I just checked mine (which I don't normally use) and they are correctly labelled. -- and I continue to wonder if it actually represents the possibility that (as with some sets reported) the set's tweeter is not connected! --- Terje, have you figured out what the USB-like outlet on the back is for? I don't know if I have ever seen a plug quite that shape before.
Philip

Hi Philip,
Line in: Interesting, is it just a one-off miss or was it an error in just one lot?!
Tweeter: Like I said on my Morphy page, the little chip condenser did not make the speaker work, so I just shorted it (the two speakers are now in parallel).
USB:That kind I have seen on my slide photo scanner and on a Canon printer here in Japan. I even think my HP Laser printer at home has the same USB socket.
Its purpose is unknown to me. Perhaps it was supposed to be used for the non-existing firmware updates?

Question: Do you find the tuning is simple? I must say, I forgot how to use it on AM - it has been in its box for 2 1/2 years! When I'm back home I'll take it apart again and see if I can find a 12 kHz signal in it somewhere similar to what I found in the Newstar's DR111. That way you would be able to use the RX with a PC with DReaM and tuning would probably be a lot easier on AM with DReaM too.

Old 22-02-2015, 14:51   #24
PhilipOneL

Quote:
Question: Do you find the tuning is simple? I must say, I forgot how to use it on AM - it has been in its box for 2 1/2 years!

Simple tuning . . . Nooo. It is the most tiresomely tuning radio I have ever used.

But I have a work-around. I set up AM-mode waypoints as memories, at each metreband, and at round-number fqq. That works in AM. Tuning in DRM mode is more difficult as it reverts to the bottom of the dial when you switch into DRM mode from AM mode. Until the radio gets a DRM signal (though not necessarily decoded), it won't remember a fq in DRM mode. So I had to wait until I got a DRM signal that I could set in memory. And then another. And another. It's got a half dozen DRM fqq remembered now (from 5000 or so to about 15000 kHz).

Now that I have those way-points, I can go through the memory list to a mode&frequency near where I want to be. It is not as annoying as spinning that little wheel for ten minutes at a time! (I have also developed a method of holding the radio and peering through those fingers while spinning the wheel with my thumb; it seems best ergonomic practice at this point when I have to get somewhere without the memory points and I don't want to use two hands.)

Quote:
When I'm back home I'll take it apart again and see if I can find a 12 kHz signal in it somewhere similar to what I found in the Newstar's DR111. That way you would be able to use the RX with a PC with DReaM and tuning would probably be a lot easier on AM with DReaM too.

That would be very helpful if it works!
Old 25-02-2015, 22:18   #25
PhilipOneL

As you know, the MR27024 is susceptible to turning itself on when it just sits there, plugged in but turned off. My set turns itself on, but there is no sound at the speaker. Since you mentioned your set's Line In and Line Out confusion, Terje, I've been wondering if there is a signal at the Line Out plug when the radio had one of its now-and-again half wake-ups. This evening, I noticed it had turned itself on, so I plugged the cable in to the external computer speakers. Voilą! Sound. With no volume control (as usual with the Line Out). And tuning was just as normal.

So, when the radio turns itself on, it appears to turn on the basic functions but not the amplifier. This is a little like when I used AC adaptors with too little amperage -- they were able to turn on the radio, but not to drive the audio.

Of course, in this case, as soon as I pushed the main power button, the internal speaker came on.
Old 26-02-2015, 07:24   #26
Digger

Quote:
the MR27024 is susceptible to turning itself on when it just sits there, plugged in but turned off.

I have also noticed this phenomenon and sometimes I wondered if I had switched it on and forgotten about it. I wonder if the MR toasters do so too?

Old 14-03-2015, 16:45   #27
Digger

Quote:
Ha! I just checked mine (which I don't normally use) and they are correctly labelled.

Hm, I opened it and some clod on the production line must have been "colour blind": The white plug sat in the black socket and vice versa...

Old 14-03-2015, 17:45   #28
PhilipOneL

Ha!

There was a strange mix of beautiful and creative visual design, some great creative ideas about operation, poor manufacture, and poor follow-through on upgrading these radios. It's too bad that MR dropped the product so quickly.

For all its faults, I am using mine every day, with the Satellit 750 next to it being used mainly for quick frequency checks.

I was just thinking, though, that I was getting quite a few DRM signals near the winter solstice, but as we get closer to the equinox, fewer DRM signals are coming in on my set. No doubt that will continue to decrease through the spring and summer.
Old 14-03-2015, 19:25   #29
Digger

Mmm... Lets shiver and grit our teeth until we see the A15 HFCC schedule... There is no emotion for "worried".... And the HFCC DRM schedule is a laugh... it is full of DRM (intended?) broadcasts.

http://www.hfcc.org/drm/

Old 14-03-2015, 19:34   #30
PhilipOneL

Yeah, lots of intention. Right this minute, 2025 UTC, Belarus should be putting something out, aimed in my direction on 7360 kHz. But there is nothing being detected here, not even at very low levels. That seems typical.

Also right now, AIR on 9950 is there, but at levels too low to decode (MER of 4.5 to 10 dB).