DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 20:02   #91
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
We sold out of DR111s some time back, we are working with others to get more receivers for Europe, but the minimum quantities required are difficult to achieve. Meanwhile we are selling the Morphy Richards still

Understandable. If you know, what is the minimum number, a 100 or so? Furthermore, do you know if CDNSE is updating the DR111 to use the xHE-AAC codec? If I didn't already own a DR111, I'd probably wait until they incorporated the xHE-AAC codec. It's good that you're working with others to pool sufficient numbers for CDNSE to produce a batch. Keep us posted here as I would seriously like to buy another updated DR111 using the xHE-AAC codec.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 22:10   #92
Digger

Just a shy remark, I used to have a good connection with Mr. Liu when we tried out different modifications (modified volume control, recording of the IF to SD card etc.) to the firmware in the DR111 but lately (my last inquiry was 22nd November) I have had no answers at all from Newstar. What is going on?

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/web....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 15:18   #93
ianf

We have to achieve a minimum of 1000 units! Quite a challenge with the current European DRM transmissions. A 100 would be easy to achieve but 1000 is a problem.
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 18:33   #94
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
We have to achieve a minimum of 1000 units! Quite a challenge with the current European DRM transmissions. A 100 would be easy to achieve but 1000 is a problem.

Again, understandable. With those numbers, your group should receive a decent discounted price from CDNSE which you'll need to sell the receiver at a price that the market will bear.
Old 03-01-2014, 14:24   #95
AF4MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
...but lately (my last inquiry was 22nd November) I have had no answers at all from Newstar. What is going on?

With the number of orders only in the hundreds there may not be enough incentive to improve the DR111 let alone build more.

To make the radio a low cost consumer product, orders would need to be in the millions.

Tough to recoup the R&D, manufacture, and licence costs with very low volume sales.

-Zyg- AF4MP
3402' N, 8424' W
EM74ta
AF4MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 15:41   #96
ianf

Its strange that the broadcasters buy lovely new DRM transmitters and yet have no direct involvement in getting receivers to market. Which is an essential requirement.
As you correctly state, the economics of manufacturing are hard on such low volume sales, for sales to increase, there need to be regular, good quality transmissions, with good content, and the receivers need to be sub $100 ideally .
Lets hope the Indian roll out gives enough of a push to get the receiver price down.
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:41   #97
tpreitzel

Manufacturers of transmitters certainly should have a vested interest in encouraging the development and production of receivers. Regardless, the DRM Consortium should probably concentrate on encouraging broadcasters to simulcast both DRM and analog. DRM has been sufficiently tested and it's time for broadcasters to assume their responsibility in promoting DRM. The transmitters are available. Receivers, both hardware and software, are available. Currently, simulcasting is the best way to promote DRM in my opinion. Simulcasting will encourage listeners to buy better receivers, including digital, IF the broadcasters use appropriate configurations and inform their listeners about the benefits of multimedia. Although I understand the rationale of the design of Newstar's DR111 to minimize cost, it also largely ignored the most important aspect of digital broadcasts, multimedia, with its two line display of 16 characters per line. With some moderate changes, Newstar's DR111 could be a dynamite DRM multimedia receiver.
Old 30-01-2014, 06:41   #98
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
My low cost, ~$12, DC(12v)/DC(5v) converter arrived today. The resulting SNR from the DR111 powered by this DC/DC converter seems to be similar to the standard AC/DC power adapter supplied with the DR111. Thus far, I have no complaints as this DC/DC converter emits significantly less noise than a typical 5v USB charger. This particular DC/DC converter is made by Fulree and has a peak capacity of 3A.

This DC/DC converter is still running nicely. I wanted to add another fairly low-cost 5v option for other owners of the DR111.

The following power supply is capable of using four 18650 3.7v lithium rechargeable batteries for a longer operating time before recharging. The unloaded output voltage is 4.88v. You must already own or buy the required 18650 cells separately and this power supply doesn't come with any cables. IIRC, this power supply can use from 1 to 4 cells. I can confirm that this power supply does run on two 18650 3.7v cells. * When this supply first arrived, it wouldn't power after inserting the batteries. I first had to plug the power supply into an USB port with one cable to start the charging process before it would output power on the other USB connector. I don't currently have documentation, but I need to find it. This power supply doesn't seem to produce a noise level any higher than the Fulree which is connected to my linear power supply. YMMV, but I like the novel and flexible use of 18650 cells to power the unit.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...871142088.html

* Even with just two fully charged 18650 batteries of 3000 mAh capacity, the DR111 will happily run for ~ 3 hours. I now have four 18650 batteries of 4500 mAh capacity so the DR111 should run for a LONG time.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 31-01-2014 at 00:29.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:15   #99
tpreitzel

Apparently, Peter Senger in cooperation with CDNSE is soliciting input on an UPDATED version of Newstar's DR111 which includes the xHE-AAC codec. Although I haven't yet received a reply from Peter confirming this possibility, I'll post his response when I do. I do suspect, however, that Newstar is thankfully upgrading its DR111 to at least include the new codec. Within the next year, Newstar will hopefully release their new DR212 as well.

We'll see. The price of the upgraded production version of the DR111 should be ~ $150 to $175 EXCLUDING the cost of the upgrade to xHE-AAC. Add another $15 to the previous price for a Newstar DR111 with the xHE-AAC codec. However, I still want CDNSE to offer a board so previous owners can upgrade their older DR111s as well.

In all honesty, unless the TOTAL price of Newstar's DR111 with the xHE-AAC codec can be purchased for $150 or less, it'll probably continue to languish in popularity. Regardless, I'd be willing to buy another DR111 with the xHE-AAC codec even at $175, but I'm probably in the minority.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 02-04-2014 at 02:36.
Old 17-04-2014, 21:45   #100
tpreitzel

From Peter Senger on my willingness to purchase a unit from a new production of Newstar's DR111 with the xHE-AAC codec:

"Thanks for your confirmation to take the DR111 receiver once we have reached the minimum order quantity/MOQ.
I am happy to inform you that we have upgraded the receiver to the highest standard DRM has had so far, please see attached flyer with all technical details.
The other good news is that we keep the price as in the first offer.
If all goes well we will reach the MOQ soon and I will come back to you then."

Here's a link to the current, i.e. April 16, 2014, edition of the flyer for Newstar's new production of the DR111. Apparently, longwave, Journaline, Emergency Warning and the xHE-AAC codec are now part of the standard receiver. Apparently, the price will remain from $150 to $175 as well.

I suspect that CDNSE is looking at meeting their MOQ by June or earlier due to looming competition from Indian companies as this new DR111 is clearly aimed at the Indian market.

http://www.pfs-digitalradio.de/app/d...LYER+DR111.pdf

Last edited by tpreitzel : 18-04-2014 at 11:28.
Old 18-04-2014, 05:42   #101
tpreitzel

BTW, Ray Robinson of KVOH has inquired on the DRMNA's Yahoo! group about acquiring a DRM receiver. Would someone who has access to that Yahoo! group please refer Ray to Peter's website, pfs-digitalradio.com, so Ray can be put on the list to acquire one of Newstar's receivers if he desires?

Ray, if you ever read this response, please use a MSC of 16 QAM if you eventually do broadcast DRM via shortwave! TIA!

Last edited by tpreitzel : 18-04-2014 at 09:03.
Old 16-05-2014, 11:13   #102
tpreitzel

Despite its quirks, I'd own Newstar's DR111 any day over a Tecsun PL-660. Although the PL-660 has better quality, the DR111 is the better overall receiver. I only use my PL-660 for receiving weak shortwave broadcasts since performance on the medium wave band is mediocre. Although my DR111 isn't quite as sensitive as my PL-660 on the shortwave bands, performance of the DR111 on shortwave still compares favorably with my PL-660. At least my DR111 allows use of my external antenna on the medium wave band without requiring an adapter. I use my Meduci MW-2 for receiving AM stereo broadcasts on the medium wave band. If I didn't need AM stereo, I could easily replace both my MW-2 and PL-660 with just Newstar's DR111 and an Apex 35BNC-AT attenuator. I really do like my DR111. I just hope that Newstar corrects some of its quirks and improves quality ...

Last edited by tpreitzel : 16-05-2014 at 13:13.
Old 14-08-2014, 20:34   #103
ohinz

Question What happend to CDNSE?

I have a Newstar DR111 in my company. It seems to be, that the DR111 has an old firmware. But all attemps to open www.cdnse.com fails.

Does anyone has the 790 firmware or newer. I want to use the log function.

BR
Ole Hinz
ohinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 20:44   #104
Digger

Hi,

Good question!

Which version do you have? 790 is the latest (as far as I know). I can send you the zip file.

When updating, be sure to follow the instructions in post #15 in the thread "DR111 New Firmware Release (v790, 8/8/2012)" !

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/web....index_en.html

Last edited by Digger : 14-08-2014 at 20:51.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 21:01   #105
tpreitzel

CDNSE's website has been down for more than a month. Unfortunately, I can't seem to quickly find the latest version of the firmware for the DR111 on my computer. I have a slightly older version, though. Surely, someone has the latest version of the DR111's firmware archived ...