DRM Reception Project Forums  

Go Back   DRM Reception Project Forums > DRM Reception Project > Soundcard Issues
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2012-04-04, 22:24   #16
Digger

Looks like the problem could be the bandwidth of the 455 kHz IF filter in your receiver? Any idea what the type number of the filter is? I just happened to listen to AIR this evening. Enclosed is a screen shot of the output from my FRG-7700's 455/12 kHz converter. By the way, the 12 kHz IF does not necessary have to be exactly 12000 Hz to get Dream to work.

My log is on the 9950 thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9950.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	71022  

https://hobbyradio.se/drm/webplotter.index.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 23:11   #17
ianf

No I don't know the filter, but Eton advertise the IF as being for this sort of purpose, I will email them, am I the first person to try this receiver for DRM I wonder, I'm using Crispinos down convertor board thanks for your help, I will persevere
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 03:46   #18
mvs sarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
Here is my Dream graph on 9950 tonight
how come, ianf, you did not select the filter in the dream window you showed?

are you using mic jack of pc/laptop? To be able to decode audio, snr should be 11 or higher.
Elektor SDR 5/07- Elektor Preselektor - Miniwhip Antenna of PA0RDT

Last edited by mvs sarma : 2012-04-13 at 06:58.
mvs sarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 07:24   #19
Digger

I think the Eaton S450 looks very much the same as my Roadstar TRA-2350P which I use when I am in Sweden. See it here: http://omnirep.se/drm/roadstar.html It works rather well on most bands if you set the AM RF Gain roughly to the middle ("5").

Be sure to set the Band Width switch to "W" if you haven't done so already. "N" is too narrow for DRM. And, if you have the possibility, set the EXT/INT Antenna Switch to EXT and connect a shielded cable to the antenna connector and throw a wire out the window or better, into the garden.

All my "@SE" logs from March 2012 were received with that radio. Good luck!

PS: I use the Band Pass Filter in Dream, but the difference is not that much different if you don't.

Last edited by Digger : 2012-04-05 at 09:21.
Old 2012-04-05, 07:48   #20
ianf

Thanks for your comments, I didn't spot the filter checkbox and having slept on it realise the SNR was too low, I had dragged up all the noise by winding the rf gain right up, I was only on the internal whip, so a good aerial will be sorted, back to the basics of good SW reception, I have an RF systems mini windom which I will rig up and report back. Again thanks to you folks for your help, the Eton seems to work quite well, very good value.
Regards
Ian
Old 2012-04-10, 22:43   #21
ianf

Ok I have 12dB SNR on 9950 but still no Green MSC with Degen aerial, will try with a better aerial
Old 2012-04-11, 07:04   #22
Digger

Hi Ian,

Was that with the AC adapter or with internal batteries in the Eton? Forgot to mention that I always use my Roadstar with a separate DC Power Supply.

Old 2012-04-11, 08:12   #23
ianf

Hi
All on batteries, I noticed laptop power supply is very noisy, will try a rig up along wire and atu
Old 2012-04-12, 22:08   #24
ianf

Finally have some audio, with a longwire and 15.4dB SNR, more aerial work to do I feel, thanks folks
Old 2013-01-16, 22:10   #25
DG9BFC

crystal resonators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs sarma
WELCOME to DRMrx.com

i feel that the input preamp is needed at 455KHz. if the IF is different, perhaps you need to change the freq of resonator to make the output somewhere in the 10 to 15KHz as cetre point. the 12KHz output may have little more gain

finally i wonder that the dream has to be configured to accept mic input at 12KHz by selecting the suitable hardware.

all the best
PS: by model number, it appears that the 2nd if is 450KHz
the user manual is not clear whether the Fsockt behind (perhaps IF socket) outputs 450 or so KHz or converted 12KHz

ifg IF out is 450KHz, yopu need to use 465 or 467KHz resonator and try to pull it down to atleast 465 so that output would be 15KHz at the centre.

if resonators are available in 5 kc steps ... so you can use 460 or 465 ... whatever fits best wizh your real if (and some detuning of the resonator with a cap maybe) ...

dream syncs faster if you also set the real frequency (say it is 12kc) and narrow the search window to maybe only 200hz ... then dream locks much faster

sigi

DRM-RX = ICOM IC-765 with Mixer by Sat-Schneider,
HCJB Pappradio by Stephan Schaa
Antennas = 170m Deltaloop, Vertical 10m w. 1:9 unun, 10m (short) longwire w. 1:9 unun
DG9BFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 22:23   #26
DG9BFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccradioscience
Where are the down converters at? Why are kit manufacturers not making them? Why are we not seeing DRM and they are just coming up with prototypes and BS? Is it a FCC, Gov issue?

DRM is a mode that short wave broadcasters are using, but the listener is trying to tune in, but will take forever to tune in and misses out. I feel that DRM is another mode that is for a limited audience, VIP's, the elite, someone who has a better income in the world with a top notch PC and a homebrewed and hacked down converter. And DRM is still a long lasting experiment and prototype (Coming To A Radio Shack Store Near You in 2016). Look where HD radio is going it's already in home theater receivers, would you ever see DRM+ in a home theater receiver? Maybe in 20 years from now.

Did you know that the Dream software you download does not have the codecs included? This digital radio transistion is a becoming a failure in my hobby all I have is HD radio on AM and FM and no DRM decoding. I bought a S-450DLX and now it's collecting dust and is junk why? Doe down-converter
ring a bell?

When someone tunes to that digital radio hash on shortwave they just suddenly stop listening unplug the antenna and then put the radio away days start to watch TV or get online and then that broadcaster is going to one day soon lose listenership and ratings go down and lose funding. We need to stop this listener drop out give us a assember digital radio mondiale converter and built DRM short wave receiver. A radio receiver we spend so much money on DRM is like your TV without the converter box tuning into just static.

you search a commercial downmixer?!?

i bought mine on hamfest from sat schneider

http://www.sat-schneider.de/DRM/DRM.htm

(there you find also other software and nice info about drm)

or why not build it yourself ?!?

just a few parts on a "breadboard"

sigi

DRM-RX = ICOM IC-765 with Mixer by Sat-Schneider,
HCJB Pappradio by Stephan Schaa
Antennas = 170m Deltaloop, Vertical 10m w. 1:9 unun, 10m (short) longwire w. 1:9 unun
DG9BFC is offline   Reply With Quote