DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25-11-2009, 15:51   #181
KD7YUF

I can't afford it right now, its well out of my price range but in a last ditch effort I will be trying the board I built on my Sangean ATS-909 because I suspect that at my IF tap point the 455 KHz IF is too weak to drive the board. And it goes against my goal to receive DRM using parts that can be obtained in the United States, Canada, or Mexico as I don't like the shipping charges to and from Europe (I am in the western United States). But otherwise a very reasonable suggestion as I have experience reading component values such as resistor color codes and to an extent capacitor codes and also some SMD experience even though I don't like working with it. Also, I like that it has USB for tuning rather than RS-232 which will make things easier as my laptop does not have serial ports at all. It will be in the back of my mind and I think I will get it if I can't get my existing home built board to work and can save up the money to buy it and ship it reasonably fast. DAB was mentioned but it really does not matter to me as Eureka 147 is not what we use in the US and I already have an AM/FM receiver which receives the almost US unique HD Radio or IBOC-DAB system I am just interested in receiving the DRM broadcasts on shortwave so the Elektor will work out fine as soon as I can save up the money.

Last edited by KD7YUF : 25-11-2009 at 16:08.
KD7YUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 06:29   #182
mvs sarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD7YUF
I can't afford it right now, its well out of my price range but in a last ditch effort I will be trying the board I built on my Sangean ATS-909 because I suspect that at my IF tap point the 455 KHz IF is too weak to drive the board. And it goes against my goal to receive DRM using parts that can be obtained in the United States, Canada, or Mexico as I don't like the shipping charges to and from Europe (I am in the western United States). But otherwise a very reasonable suggestion as I have experience reading component values such as resistor color codes and to an extent capacitor codes and also some SMD experience even though I don't like working with it. Also, I like that it has USB for tuning rather than RS-232 which will make things easier as my laptop does not have serial ports at all. It will be in the back of my mind and I think I will get it if I can't get my existing home built board to work and can save up the money to buy it and ship it reasonably fast. DAB was mentioned but it really does not matter to me as Eureka 147 is not what we use in the US and I already have an AM/FM receiver which receives the almost US unique HD Radio or IBOC-DAB system I am just interested in receiving the DRM broadcasts on shortwave so the Elektor will work out fine as soon as I can save up the money.
you can always have a stage of amplification after the NE602/NE612 in the 455 to 12KHz converter.the output is expected to be connected to MIKE socket instead of LINE IN.
thus you may also have a 2K terminating resistor , such that the bias power supply finds a way of draining little current simulating the Mike load.

After this you may have to enable MIKE IN as the input for Dream software.
you are also able to adjust the gain of the Mike at the Sound card properties, perhaps.
With these adjustments, An ATS 909 should help you receive DRM signal.
All the best.
Elektor SDR 5/07- Elektor Preselektor - Miniwhip Antenna of PA0RDT

Last edited by mvs sarma : 27-11-2009 at 10:57.
mvs sarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 06:57   #183
mitajohn

Nov. 26

Hi all,

Quote:
After this you may have to enable MIKE IN as the input for Dream software. you are also able to adjust the gain of the Mike at the Sound card properties, perhaps.

...and you must disable any Mic boost and noise reduction functions of the sound-card, if any.

Last edited by mitajohn : 26-11-2009 at 07:06.
mitajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 17:43   #184
mvs sarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitajohn
Hi all,

...and you must disable any Mic boost and noise reduction functions of the sound-card, if any.

A timely instruction Mitajohn! Thanks.
Old 28-11-2009, 04:17   #185
Siber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitajohn

But any device that has external input also has foolproof protection.
I use the Mic In Input without problem.

Last edited by Siber : 28-11-2009 at 08:43.
Siber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 16:04   #186
mvs sarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber
But any device that has external input also has foolproof protection.
I use the Mic In Input without problem.
perhaps the 20 db boost is not enabled in your machine.
Old 28-11-2009, 22:05   #187
pdeitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Sandgren
KD7YUF, I got a drm reciever in my car ....

Where did you get it Roy, I would really like one myself?
pdeitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 22:22   #188
Roy Sandgren

Hi pdeitch,
I'm agency of this carbox in scandinavia and the box has dab and drm. What I understand, you live in Germany and the main office is in Germany of this product. With the active antenna it's sometimes great reception of RTL and BBC on medium and shortwave. Outside Malmö I can pic up 729 khz, 1 kW DRM abou 120 km away during daytime.
A positive news is that my friend at PTT, she told me that DRM is slowly going forwards in number of stations, hours and sales of recievers.
Old 28-11-2009, 23:36   #189
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeitch
Where did you get it?
Hi,
On Thiecom's (Germany) home page it is "in ganz kleinen Stückzahlen verfügbar"

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/web....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 10:36   #190
Roy Sandgren

First skip and in the target area of DRM shortwave can be a few dropouts only.
Old 29-11-2009, 19:08   #191
DRM-OM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD7YUF
but its all down to persuading the receiver manufacturers who have a world wide presence such as Icom, Yaesu, and Sangean to build and sell DRM receivers on the world market at an affordable price. As soon as this happens more broadcasters will adopt it

Do you have any idea how industry works?
Noone will invest in a new technology right now if there is not a return on invest of at least double digit numbers right from the beginning.
At this moment "core competences" are being defined (and in many cases these are not "old technologies"), companies are being split, departments outsourced, resources (development as well as manufacturing) being shifted to "low cost countries", employees kicked out etc.
This is not the environment to start new products.

That's why DRM products are only available in limited numbers by small or new - in any case not well-known in the public - companies.

some german language info pages on DRM

Last edited by DRM-OM : 29-11-2009 at 19:13.
DRM-OM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 19:12   #192
KD7YUF

That really does explain quite a bit of the obstacles the technology is facing right now. Which are the fact that receivers are isolated almost entirely to Europe, why the general public does not know about it, why the number of hours of worldwide broadcasts are really low, why broadcasters outside of Europe are a bit reluctant to adopt it unless they have to by government legislation among others.

I do understand that the DRM consortium is promoting the technology which will help things greatly and get the word out that it exists and what it can do but the challenge will be to get this out to the general public and not just shortwave listeners given the technology is designed for use on the AM (MW) and LW broadcast bands as well as shortwave.

In the United States it is restricted to shortwave given that an IBOC-DAB system exists and has taken off quite well in recent years but I can see it being used by license free (part 15) micro-broadcasters as no royalties are charged for using it unlike with Ibiquity's IBOC system also known as HD Radio.

This system is being used in place of DRM on the AM broadcast band and will shut out DRM+ from the FM broadcast band given that the FM version does work quite well even over long distances assuming the listener has an antenna designed for the distances they are dealing with. A normal half wave dipole antenna will work in many cases or indoor rabbit ears both the amplified and passive variety.
KD7YUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 06:06   #193
Siber

I am receive of DRM signals on short waves the second year. And here is the conclusion that I have come.
Reception of DRM signals with high quality on the big distances is almost impossible.
The main reason is loss of a parts of a signal at deterioration of propagation.
I think it is possible to eliminate such defects of reception by transmitting the combined signal consisting of DRM and АМ parts.
At decoding of the signal as much as possible to use information of АМ component and insert it in intervals where the DRM component was not decoded. Besides, it will be possible to accept a signal in SSB mode .
Confirming to the conclusions I result record of Deutsche Welle signal .
It is a bad signal from position of ordinary user.
http://files.mail.ru/9KNACQ
There is the log of the signal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DRM + SB.JPG (8.8 KB, 253 views)
File Type: png 15205_091217_0233_Siber.png (30.2 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by Siber : 17-12-2009 at 06:50.
Old 17-12-2009, 07:24   #194
Roy Sandgren

Hi Siber, best reception of drm in the sw bands is in the first target area.Most reception is on sky waves, not the ground wave, like medium or longwave daylight hours = groundwave
Old 17-12-2009, 08:34   #195
Siber

Hi Roy!
You truly speak.
But reception of signals is not in perfect conditions. For example, in a car.
And my practice has shown, that even at good propagation the losses of a part of the signal owing to fadding and conflicts of several beams of the signal are possible. It is absolutely not compatible to concept of quality and naturally does not characterise the technology from the best party.
АМ signals are accepted in a similar case with small loss of quality.
And I think that small loss of the signal quality is better than its total absence

Last edited by Siber : 17-12-2009 at 08:43.