DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > Antennas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 15:49   #16
ianf

This antenna is certailnly better than the Degen, which I suppose its cost reflects. Its well made, and high frequency performance is certainly improved by using a 12V battery in place of the 9V one.
Its marginally better at 6Mhz , but at 9Mhz etc its really good, its easier to 'peak' having a wider peak. I think its also better at noise rejection, I often get decoded audio on 1 bar SNR on the Newstar rather than requiring 2 on the Degen. Delivery is quick from Australia too, paying via PayPal.
Its helped me listen to more stations than I have picked up before, in the 9-11-12 Mhz bands.
I will give more updates as I learn more
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57   #17
tpreitzel

Yeah, I've been looking at the 6-18 MHz version of PK Loop's SW antenna, but the manual tuning presents a problem for occasional use outdoors. I also looked very closely at AOR's new LA-400 and simply drooled over it, but never seriously considered purchasing it for ~ $550 from Universal Radio. Since I live in a colder climate where SW reception degrades significantly from Oct 15 through Mar 15, I've decided on purchasing Pixel Pro's RF-1B. The RF-1B is currently being sold for delivery in the continental USA with "free" shipping, i.e. no additional cost over the $450, yes $450, price for the antenna with 50' of quad-shielded RG-6 cable.... <sigh> ...

I'm quite sure the results will be worth the price.... I repeat. Your average SWL is NOT going to spend $450 on an outdoor antenna to listen to DRM broadcasts. I sometimes wonder if I could buy Wellbrook's ALA-1530 series antenna and have it shipped to the USA cheaper than spending $450 for the RF-1B, though.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 07-01-2013 at 06:53.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28   #18
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
This antenna is certailnly better than the Degen, which I suppose its cost reflects. Its well made, and high frequency performance is certainly improved by using a 12V battery in place of the 9V one.
Its marginally better at 6Mhz , but at 9Mhz etc its really good, its easier to 'peak' having a wider peak. I think its also better at noise rejection, I often get decoded audio on 1 bar SNR on the Newstar rather than requiring 2 on the Degen. Delivery is quick from Australia too, paying via PayPal.
Its helped me listen to more stations than I have picked up before, in the 9-11-12 Mhz bands.
I will give more updates as I learn more

Since you're selling Newstar's DR111 on Amazon in the UK, I wonder if PK Loop would be open to reselling their standard frequency (6-18 MHz) SW loop in the UK since it's apparently a good match for the DR111. Seriously, the retail price of these magnetic loop antennas needs to be under $200 generally.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 07-01-2013 at 07:23.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08   #19
tpreitzel

Disregard post #17. At the last minute, I chickened out because I really don't want to spend $450 to primarily listen to DRM broadcasts. Instead, I decided to first try Miracle Antenna's MMDs31 physically end-fed, but electrically center-fed dipole. Yes, an experienced amateur can probably build an equivalent antenna for a fraction of the cost. Personally, my time is more expensive than the $120 to ship this antenna to me. Yes, by the time I'm done tinkering around with less capable antennas, I'll still probably finish my journey through antenna land by spending the $450 for a magnetic loop anyway. But before I do, I'll probably spend $200 for LF Engineering's H-900 if the MMDs31 doesn't do any adequate job.

I'm moving these explorations in non-magnetic loop antennas into other threads, though.
Old 11-01-2013, 16:57   #20
ianf

I could approach PK to see if he is interested, and see if the pricing would work,
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 16:28   #21
tpreitzel

I feel the time is approaching when I'll likely buy Pixel Pro's RF-1B. I've examined closely the major options in antennas. Amplified antennas have their place as do dipoles, but general coverage, wide-band magnetic loops have the greatest flexibility. I need AM's capability of utilizing skywave at night with the ability to null the sheer number of interfering stations... with thanks to the FCC. Can you sense the sarcasm? LF Engineering's H-800 works very well as a general coverage, amplified antenna, but its omni-directional capability is a hindrance with the sheer number of MW stations operating on the same frequency. Frankly, if the work of regulatory bodies were confined to minimizing interference, an omni-directional antenna such as the H-800 would be the cheapest solution. With the current mess on AM, a SWL/DXer needs a highly directional antenna on a rotor. Dipoles require adequate height and space and are restricted to certain bands.

To new SWLs, bite the financial bullet and buy a wide-band magnetic loop. Both Wellbrook and Pixel Pro sell excellent models. Currently, expect to spend $500.

To manufacturers, I expect a decent market exists for a good general coverage, wide-band magnetic loop at a retail price of <= $250. $125 sounds reasonable for parts and labor to assemble such an antenna.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 09-06-2014 at 06:56.
Old 11-06-2014, 23:04   #22
tpreitzel

Pixel Technologies' RF Pro 1B: Total cost including shipping equals $510 and I thought $450 was high priced which it was ... Although the quality and performance of the Pro 1B is one of the best, the cost is $250 too high for widespread acceptance. Except for the rotor, my investigation of antennas is now complete as Pixel Technologies' RF Pro 1B is near the current state of the art in general coverage, wide-band magnetic loops.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 11-06-2014 at 23:31.
Old 13-07-2014, 08:51   #23
tpreitzel

I'm hesitant to write a review since I've basically decided to use the RF-Pro 1B INDOORS instead of outdoors where it rightfully belongs. My review wouldn't do the Pro 1B justice. Suffice it to say, the Pro 1B is an impressive antenna since I use it indoors inside a dwelling with METAL SIDING and can still receive many MW broadcasts via skywave at night. On shortwave, I can still receive some of the stronger signals indoors with the Pro 1B, but my MMDs-31 is far superior on the shortwave bands since it's located outdoors. Maybe, I'll move and mount the RF-Pro 1B outdoors one day. Outside and mounted on a rotor, I can just imagine the number of signals, both shortwave and MW, that the RF-Pro 1B would find. In my electrically noisy indoor environment, I've found a location where the Pro 1B successfully nulls the noise generated by the PC and the sound from my Meduci MW-2 receiver is simply stellar on some local MW stations. This latter combination is so good that I can easily distinguish between stations broadcasting clean signals and those stations that broadcast distorted signals. In fact, I rarely listen to FM broadcasts now as I prefer clean MW broadcasts. If I can just encourage local broadcasters to switch to AM stereo... Wow!

Last edited by tpreitzel : 13-07-2014 at 11:57.
Old 28-05-2016, 00:33   #24
tpreitzel

DX Engineering now exclusively manufactures the former Pixel RF Pro 1B magnetic loop. This excellent antenna will soon be complemented with DX Engineering's new NCC-2 variable phase controller. This combination should be enough for any serious SW listener, but expect to pay at least $1000... The new NCC-2 is specifically designed to complement the Pro 1B.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 28-05-2016 at 01:07.
Old 30-05-2016, 16:21   #25
mitajohn

NCC-1

A friend of mine, sometime ago, gave me a DXE NCC-1 phaser unit for testing. The unit, using it with two Wellbrook active loops, performed very well below 7MHz, almost canceling local noise. When I was testing it with the two loop antennas it was not possible to get the loops work, powering them directly from NCC-1. After long discussions with both makers, unfortunately, they did not come to a solution and I had to power the loops separately through their interfaces in order to work with NCC-1.
Old 26-02-2017, 22:47   #26
tpreitzel

A newer magnetic loop worthy of consideration... Hopefully, this antenna will remain in production for some time and a kit will become available for non-American buyers.

https://www.w6lvp.com/