DRM Reception Project Forums  

Go Back   DRM Reception Project Forums > DRM Reception Project > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2014-11-28, 00:47   #1
PhilipOneL

Finally received some DRM

I have had a Morphy Richards 27024 set, and have been using it every day, for the past couple of months. Today I finally heard some DRM, though it was so patchy that it was impossible to enjoy the programme!

I had been listening (on another radio) to Radio Romania International on 6030 until it, the regular AM service in English, signed off at about 2055 UTC. I knew that the DRM service was up next and I hoped that they were not changing beam or txr power. Sure enough a minute or two later, about 2058, the whooshy sound (as heard on AM) was switched on and off a couple of times and then came on steadily. Immediately the 27024 showed "Galbeni TX1" on the screen. The signal was very strong as an AM "whoosh," but the DRM decoded only small two-to-five-second segments, interspersed with half-minute silences. Even the "clear" segments were susceptible to the blowing-down-a-long-pipe sort of distortion that digital decoding can produce. That on-and-off situation kept up through the length of the b/c.

I am using a simple three-metre wire attached to the 27024's aerial and run past the window. I imagine a longer outdoor wire would draw in a better signal.

Are other North American listeners regularly getting European DRM? What sort of antennas are being used?
PhilipOneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-11, 19:18   #2
PhilipOneL

oops posted in the deadend thread
PhilipOneL is offline   Reply With Quote