DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > Receiver Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 13:45   #1
simone
simone

WR-G31DDC 'EXCALIBUR'

At hamradio in Friedrichshafen winradio presented a new DRM capable receiver, the Excalibur. Performance was pretty good, on DRM transmissions from Sines SNR was close to 40 dB. The integrated DRM decoder works with existing key files from the DRM Software Radio, alternatively the VSC output can be used as input for other applications, i.e. Dream.
Simone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Excalibur_13810_DRM_BBC_DW.jpg (96.5 KB, 1071 views)
simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 22:04   #2
CT4RK

Smile

Simon
I saw this and others SDR in Friedrichshafen. I`m happy to see that pratically all SDR in the market have DRM. It is interesting to see the industry forget DRM RXs, but the massive SDR familly RX no!...We can see also that IBOC receivers are in quantity in EUA, but I never seen a SDR receiver with IBOC. (maybe have, but I never seen)
So the most of DRM listeners are hamradio, or peoples in area of broadcasting and RF job.
SDR will be the next generation receivers, then the future of DRM will be nice.
Only one barrier...the price of course!

73 from CT4RK
Receiver TENTEC RX320 modified, R&S HEO10 active antenna, DREAM software...And...No more PLC/BPL QRM...Thanks ANACOM!
Save the Radio Spectrum! Eliminate Broadband over Power Line.
CT4RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 16:31   #3
simone
simone

Existing key files with Excalibur

Users of existing DRM key files, please copy your key into the DEFS directory, the DRM decoder is already integrated in the G31DDC software, so the DRM plugin is not necessary anymore.
Simone
Old 27-03-2011, 19:19   #4
simone
simone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan1
Don - Check your Windows "Line In" volume. Judging by the waterfall you should be receiving like gangbusters, but the Input Spectrum display is positively weak. The Line In volume is critical to proper reception, and if it is too high your reception actually degrades. For mine, I have it set to about 20% of max, about 2 notches out of seven.

Hi Brendan, Don,

as I understand Don is using the Winradio VSC with the Excalibur, so there is no "Line In" to adjust.
Don, you might play with the IF gain and AGC, I agree with Brendan that it actually looks much better in the waterfall than in the spectrum plot.
Btw did you try to use Dream with the VSC, that might give some hints and more details about the signal quality.

Simone
Old 28-03-2011, 01:48   #5
hypervista

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone
Hi Brendan, Don,

as I understand Don is using the Winradio VSC with the Excalibur, so there is no "Line In" to adjust.
Don, you might play with the IF gain and AGC, I agree with Brendan that it actually looks much better in the waterfall than in the spectrum plot.
Btw did you try to use Dream with the VSC, that might give some hints and more details about the signal quality.

Simone

Thanks for the tips Simone. I'll play around with the AGC and IF gain controls to see if I can't improve my reception of that particular broadcast.

Brendan and Zyg have been helping me get Dream set-up. I hope to have it configured tomorrow.

Don
hypervista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 01:43   #6
hypervista

Thanks much to Brendan, I was able to get Dream set-up and running. However, I'm not able to get Dream to decode a very strong DRM reception. The Dream application will show a nice solid green bar in the signal meter but perpetually displays the "Scanning..." message and no log files are generated. After some troubleshooting and reading, I'm beginning to suspect the problem is my 64-bit Windows 7 OS...

You can see the situation in the image attached below:

Troubleshoot.jpg

Note the very strong DRM signal as indicated in the WinRadio console (SNR 19.3 and excellent waterfall display). The audio as heard through my headset was excellent. Note too that the soundcard properties dialog indicates that the WinRadio Virtual Sound Card (input Line 1) is indicating proper function.

The only thing I can think of at this point is the problem is with my 64-bit OS, despite all indications that the software is getting the correct signals on the right lines. A check on the documentation of SourceForge indicates that Dream is compatible with 32-bit Windows. No mention of 64-bit Windows... Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance guys.

Don

I think I may have discovered something. After reading some documentation on the WinRadio Virtual Soundcard, I discovered that I need to configure the the IF output in a very specific manner (48000 Hz sampling rate, 16 bit). I also need to pump IF stream to Dream, not an audio stream.... I'll try these new settings tomorrow when I have a DRM transmission to play with.
I'm also going to try inverting the spectrum, as Brendan suggested in a PM. In fact, it was that suggestion that made me start thinking hard about the output stream of my Virt Soundcard...

Last edited by hypervista : 29-03-2011 at 04:29.
Old 29-03-2011, 21:09   #7
simone
simone

Hi Don,

I am not sure what your instructions say concerning Dream, but if you use the VSC IF output, you need to start Dream with the command line option for I/Q input (0 kHz), how did you start Dream?
Yes it is correct that you have to set the VSC to 48 kHz for Dream.
Can you post a screenshot of the input spectrum in the evaluation dialogue?
Last summer when we tried to get the Excalibur working with the I/Q input in Dream there was still an issue with the VSC (causing occasional sync losses), not sure if that has been solved yet, but will ask.
Anyway if you have problems that way there is a trick, so one thing you could try is setting the CW modes, and using AF VSC output and offset the bfo to be 16kHz, that will always work.
What version of Dream are you using and what is the version of your VSC?

Simone
Old 30-03-2011, 12:20   #8
hypervista

Quote:
Hi Don,

I am not sure what your instructions say concerning Dream, but if you use the VSC IF output, you need to start Dream with the command line option for I/Q input (0 kHz), how did you start Dream?
Yes it is correct that you have to set the VSC to 48 kHz for Dream.
Can you post a screenshot of the input spectrum in the evaluation dialogue?
Last summer when we tried to get the Excalibur working with the I/Q input in Dream there was still an issue with the VSC (causing occasional sync losses), not sure if that has been solved yet, but will ask.
Anyway if you have problems that way there is a trick, so one thing you could try is setting the CW modes, and using AF VSC output and offset the bfo to be 16kHz, that will always work.
What version of Dream are you using and what is the version of your VSC?

Simone

Greetings Simone - thank you so much for the detailed reply. I will try the "trick" this afternoon when we get DRM broadcasts here in the States. I'll send along a screenshot of my input spectrum dialog then.

I'm using Dream v1.14 and VSC v2.02. I started Dream from icon double-click. Will launch from command line as you suggested. Thanks!

I will continue trying to get the Excalibur to work properly with Dream and will report my findings.

In parallel to my attemps to get Excaliber to deliver a nice DRM stream to Dream, I'm working with my G313e's DRM capabilities and making some progress. I've gotten the DRM module installed and working. I activated logging but the DRM plug-in logging only created a .txt log file; no .csv nor .log file.

I've attached the .txt log file. Now I only have to figure out how to get the G313e DRM plug-in to produce the .log or .csv file and I'm in business!

Don
Attached Files
File Type: txt DRMDemodulatorDecoderLog10I15016.txt (4.3 KB, 452 views)

Last edited by hypervista : 30-03-2011 at 12:39.
Old 30-03-2011, 16:42   #9
simone
simone

Hi Don,

I will take a look at the Excalibur and Dream, have to install it again.
The textfile is OK, the DRM plugin (as well as the DRM Softwareradio) only records this text file, about the same as the short log in Dream, you can analyze it with DRMcalc.

Simone
Old 30-03-2011, 17:42   #10
simone
simone

Hi Don,

just installed VSC and Excalibur, attached a screenshot what it should look like, start Dream with command line option -c 5.

Simone
PS: I will move this discussion to the Receiver thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WR_G31DDC_VSC_Dream.jpg (90.6 KB, 520 views)
Old 30-03-2011, 18:10   #11
hypervista

Talking

Quote:
Hi Don,

just installed VSC and Excalibur, attached a screenshot what it should look like, start Dream with command line option -c 5.

Simone
PS: I will move this discussion to the Receiver thread.

Wow! Thanks for going the extra mile for me Simone. I really do appreciate it. I can't wait to give it a try in a few hours (still slaving away at my desk).

Btw - I spent quite a bit of time in your area in the past. I lived in Frankfurt for 5 years. My wife used to drag me up to Wechtersbach several times a year to buy some ceramics. My son and I returned last year for a snowboarding trip and my daughter is heading back in a few weeks during Spring break. We absolutely love Germany and I miss it more than I can tell you.

Thanks again,

Don

Last edited by hypervista : 30-03-2011 at 18:28.
Old 30-03-2011, 21:30   #12
hypervista

Still no cigar .....

As you can see from the attached screenshot, I've got a rocking DRM signal (SNR 23), but Dream is still "Scanning ...". I started Dream via command prompt with the -c 5 switch after starting Excalibur first. The input PSD signal looks a little choppy and peaky and I'm not sure why. The signal representation in Excalibur is like a table top.... not so much in Dream.

I have the VSC set for 48kHZ. I've set the properties on the soundcard to 1 channel, 16 bit, 48kHZ. I'm wondering if the soundcard settings are proper. I've been through quite a few settings, but no good results. I feel like I'm close.

Getting close, but no cigar... yet

Last edited by hypervista : 30-03-2011 at 21:32.
Old 30-03-2011, 21:57   #13
simone
simone

Are you sure you selected the VSC as sound input device in Dream? Looks like you are feeding back the audio output as input in Dream.
Also better mute the audio on the Excalibur, once it works you will get audio from Dream then.
Simone
Old 30-03-2011, 22:07   #14
hypervista

Quote:
Are you sure you selected the VSC as sound input device in Dream? Looks like you are feeding back the audio output input in Dream.
Also better mute the audio on the Excalibur, once it works you will get audio from Dream then.
Simone

Yep. Sound In -> Line 1 (WinRadio Virtual Sound

I had not muted in Excalibur.... Will do that during next (and last) DRM broadcast of the evening, which starts in about 50 minutes.

Thanks for your help. I know it's late there.

Don
Old 31-03-2011, 01:39   #15
hypervista

Configuring Excalibur for Dream

Simone - I'm really getting close to having it configured now. I finally decided to uninstall the Excalibur software and reinstalled it. Now I'm getting somewhere. I don't get audio yet, but I'm getting really close.

Decoding in Dream via Excalibur

I'm anxious to work with a much better DRM signal tomorrow.

Thanks for all your asistance.

Don