DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 11:02   #16
Digger

The Newstar DR111 arrived in good condition with FedEx (who charged me a total of €27.41 in taxes and import duty - 1.5 kg from China cost €0.71!) and is now playing DRM fairly well on medium and on short wave. The scan function on DRM leaves a lot to wish for as you'll be lucky if it stops at all. Mind you, this morning it did stop on BBC on 7.355 MHz and yesterday it managed to halt on REE on 13.720 MHz. I pressed scan half an hour into the TDP transmission on 6.015 MHz and during the last hour the DR111 did NOT stop again until the transmission was over despite a solid RF signal here 470 km away from the TX.

If somebody is interested, I placed some related stuff on my homepage: http://omnirep.se/drm/dr111.html

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/web....index_en.html

Last edited by Digger : 02-06-2012 at 11:16.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11   #17
petecchiaro

Smile my first trial

yesteday I tested for the first time the new DR111

I listened REE on 9580kHz for more that one hour without interruption.

attached some photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LZZ_4198.jpg (97.8 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg LZZ_4203.jpg (86.4 KB, 307 views)
petecchiaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 20:24   #18
FritzWue

I wonder what the manufacturer thinks about design and taste.
Hope it is a good receiver, but I would not buy it
because it looks like a cheap and ugly plastic box.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:23   #19
Digger

Hi Fritz and all,

In February Allen Liang wrote to me and said: "Our receiver is sale for $120 and shipping cost is $45 to Europe. The receiver will be a sample receiver, therefore, I will not have any certification yet and might not even have a colored package. Hope this will be fine with you."

So, at least I knew that it was a pre-production job and the casing is not the final one. As for design, most of the new DAB radios you see in the shops are just plain boxes, most of them having only one loudspeaker. How can you listen to stereo with just one speaker? At least the DR111 has two speakers.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:39   #20
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
I have locked up the radio by accidentally plugging the DC side of the Degen MS31 in, but the radio still seems fine.

A big WARNING to DR111 users: Any other power supplies than the one delivered with the DR111 could KILL the receiver totally!

Old 04-06-2012, 14:01   #21
mvs sarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
A big WARNING to DR111 users: Any other power supplies than the one delivered with the DR111 could KILL the receiver totally!
what is that specific monopoly of the power supply which could KILL a radio?
I recollect that afriend of mine commenting thst the radio is slate color and battery red color, so it would not work,LoL

I do understand that unregulated supplies could be dangerous. even smps supplies could be worse.. linear regulator with diodes across ech of the bridge diodes would work well, i suppose.

ps: you can, provided they have facility for stereo, but with headphones.
one example of one such analog radio is SONY ICF SW11.
Elektor SDR 5/07- Elektor Preselektor - Miniwhip Antenna of PA0RDT

Last edited by mvs sarma : 04-06-2012 at 14:06.
mvs sarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:42   #22
brouillage

On the Voice of Russia dual broadcasts the secondary stream with the low bit rate very often doesn't synchronize properly the first time when I tune in. It comes up on my DR111 in a stuttered way. I have to retune several times to the frequency until I get rid of the rasp like sound interruptions

This morning I tried to compare the decoded sound quality of the BBC world service between the DR111 and the Morphy Richards toaster with good headphones. I got the impression that the DR111 sound processes harder, a little bit more raw, doesn't soften the sound like the Morphy Richards does. The metallic sound of low bit DRM AAC+ streams seems to me a little bit more metallic, a little bit more "quantized".

Another weird thing on both receivers I noticed was, that the 31m band frequency 3955 kHz only came up with proper signal levels when I attached the head phones. Without attaching head phones the signal level fell down to a very low level nothing could be decoded.

Now I would like to buy a magnetic loop antenna. Any recommendations?

I would like to encourage owners of the DRM111 to post and collect here in this thread ideas for improving the user concept for upcoming firmware releases.

Last edited by brouillage : 06-06-2012 at 14:06. Reason: errors
brouillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:09   #23
ianf

I use the Degen DE31MS with the Newstar most of the time, it means I can pick up quite a few stations that would not give audio on the whip only
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39   #24
fibber

Please join the Newstar DR111 Yahoo Group

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/newstar_dr111/

I'm hoping we can begin gathering user experiences and tips as well as Firmware and modification information. The group already has several CDNSE employees as members and of course many devoted DRM aficionados!

Elad FDM-S1, HCJB Pappradio, Newstar DR111.
DReaM, DRM Software Radio.
JTV680 Vertical, 80M 1/2 Wave Dipole.

Christopher - "Fibber" - K6FIB
Salem, Oregon, USA
44.901951 -123.048109
CN84lv

DRM in North America? Join DRMNA!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/drmna
or read the blog http://www.drmna.info
fibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 20:58   #25
tpreitzel

Although CDNSE might object for competitive reasons, I would like to see a distribution chart of sales per country for Newstar's DR111. How many folks in the USA are buying this receiver given the limitations on the number of broadcasts? I'd like access to this information.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 17:12   #26
Mikey

I use 2 antennas. A Sony AN LP1 and a couple of tuneable loops from PK Antennas in Australia. Compared to the Degen my PK Antennas out perform on am quite significantly. Although it should be pointed out that the PK antennas are literally 10 times the price of the Degen. The Sony is useful in the unlikely event of having more than one station on a given short wave band. The tuneable loops naturally give better gain because of the ability to tune the loop to the exact frequency. However I can only tune the loop by using another reciever in am mode as the Newstar delay on am makes this impossible.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03   #27
tpreitzel

I received my Newstar DR111 just a couple of hours ago. I'm currently listening to the REE rebroadcast on 9.630 MCPS from Costa Rica. Although I'm struggling with manual tuning, I'm fairly impressed so far. Actually, I'm impressed enough to tell people to simply swap their older shortwave receivers for the DR111. Digital Radio Mondiale is simply good enough to leave the older analog broadcasts in the dust. Personally, I want ALL of the capability contained within the DRM30 standard implemented in hardware, but I can definitely live with Newstar's DR111 until such capability is readily available.

Although, I've inquired with CDNSE, I haven't yet received a response. NONE of the manual tuning methods work with HW revision DR111 v4.1 Rev A and SW revision 638. Pressing the Volume control does NOT enter manual tuning.... Auto tuning works fine.

More later.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 03-07-2012 at 05:13.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57   #28
ianf

Try pulling the tuning knob forward slightly, it sometimes gets push down too hard in shipping. This should then enable the manual tuning.
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:15   #29
Digger

The tuning knob is of too simple construction. The shaft needs to be metal, not wiggly-waggly plastic material. When you apply some pressure to the knob when turning it, it sticks. This I mentioned to Allen of Newstar even before I ordered my radio. And, when tuning, the audio should not be silenced. The delay as it is now is too long and makes tuning very tiresome.

Old 03-07-2012, 17:13   #30
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
Try pulling the tuning knob forward slightly, it sometimes gets push down too hard in shipping. This should then enable the manual tuning.

Yeah, thanks for the replies as I just received an e-mail from CDNSE's CEO and was going to post the solution, but you guys beat me to the punch.

Gently, pulling out the Volume knob fixed the problem. Thanks, guys!