DRM Reception Project Forums  

Go Back   DRM Reception Project Forums > DRM Reception Project > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2021-07-13, 18:28   #46
tpreitzel

Philip,

If you haven't read this article on the current status of DRM in India, the article honestly critiques the current state of digital OTA broadcasting in India. Ruxandra of the DRM Consortium predictably replies in several cases. We certainly need receivers, Ruxandra, to encourage more DRM broadcasting, especially commercial. The last comment of the article is enlightening indeed. The DRM Consortium needs to help financially and technically smaller commercial broadcasters enter the digital market, e.g. KVOH, WRMI as international broadcasters as well as regional commercial broadcasters in India.

https://ultra.news/s-e/52154/after-d...ation-strategy

Last edited by tpreitzel : 2021-07-13 at 18:31.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-15, 14:06   #47
Owdjim
Sysop

Unfortunately the DRM Consortium's focus still seems to be on funding conferences and functions rather than any useful support for DRM receiver technology :-(
Owdjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-15, 18:51   #48
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdjim
Unfortunately the DRM Consortium's focus still seems to be on funding conferences and functions rather than any useful support for DRM receiver technology :-(

I agree totally, Chris. I've been trying to be diplomatic here with this touchy subject, but maybe it's time to cut most, not all, of the expensive conferences and reserve that money for buying, producing, and selling periodic batches of a quality DRM radio to the public. Maybe, the competitors of the selected vendor will then adopt a more earnest stance in designing and producing DRM radios. Competition is good. Let's get serious, Ruxandra, or even India might start examining other options.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 2021-07-15 at 18:54.
Old 2021-09-01, 18:57   #49
tpreitzel

However, many members of the DRM Consortium do have the means of designing, manufacturing, and distributing DRM radios. The manufacturers of DRM radios and their components are more than a decade late in establishing a for profit organization capable of financially assisting the design, production, and distribution of DRM radios. We have Via Licensing Corporation as a pool for patents so why not a for profit organization directly assisting other manufacturers in the production of DRM radios? The role, primarily capitalization, and fees of a for profit's services, financial or otherwise, to other manufacturers would need to be developed. Sure, money is tight and for profit corporations are always looking for tax advantages, but it's more than time to reevaluate the non-profit in light of its failure to assist the production of DRM radios without being directly involved itself. Yes, I see the DRM Consortium largely as a failure. Yes, it has done some good especially for its members, but the problem of nearly non-existent DRM radios persists after 20 years of effort. Personally, I'd reduce the Consortium's budget to a bare minimum.

https://www.drm.org/what-can-the-con...ally-in-india/

Last edited by tpreitzel : 2021-09-01 at 23:14.
Old 2021-09-16, 07:04   #50
tpreitzel

Remember the Titus II? .... Has it risen from the dead? You be the judge.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/is-the-titus...se-to-release/
Old 2021-10-26, 06:38   #51
ReindXeer

Stupid question, but who needs specific DRM-Hardware?

Everybody has a smartphone nowadays - or owns tablets .. why arent there any with shortware capabilities? On Drm.org i found a question + answer:

Quote:
Q:Can DRM integrate with mobile phone without any external RF dongle, as FM does?

A: Today’s phones cannot be used for DRM as they are. They need to be made DRM ready. Manufacturers have already built all the required hardware components into today’s phones, so therefore no extra cost will apply when adding DRM. Only a more suitable design is required to allow proper access to the FM front-end chip as the FM front-end built into many phones today is already sufficient for DRM reception – no change in hardware required at all.

The DRM MultimediaPlayer Radio App receives from the external RF dongle via USB pure “IQ” data, i.e. the digitised on-air signal. All the DRM specific decoding is carried out by the app itself, without any hardware involvement. All the manufacturers need to do is to wire those RF front-end chips in such a way that the ‘IQ’ signal can be accessed by the DRM MultimediaPlayer Radio App. That’s all.
https://www.drm.org/can-drm-integrat...nal-rf-dongle/

Doesnt sound to complicated to me and then there is already the DRM software from starewave (which of course needs to be adepted, but that shouldnt be a huge problem either).

Seems to me, that we have the usual chicken-egg problem. No/Not many DRM broadcasts due to missing receivers and no receivers, because there are no broadcasts.

Mobile phones could solve that - if they would be DRM enabled.

Last edited by ReindXeer : 2021-10-26 at 06:44.
ReindXeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-28, 21:59   #52
Aetheradio

problem with relying on smartphones is they are constantly dumbing down by omitting sensors and chips to get a cheaper product.
iphone no longer has 3.5mm audio or any radio chip - so that part of the smartphone market is excluded.
Rumoured that there once was a phone for India which had AM radio.
As far as I'm aware there has only been one or two smartphones ever produced with DAB reception, eg. the LG stylusII which we tried to organise as a retirement gift for a technician leaving the broadcast industry, could only find reference to it in Australia and it was discontinued within 3 months.....

I'm certain the telcos would prefer to sell phones which are data only, a point - to - point radio service where the receiving party pays all of the transmission costs and someone pays to keep those servers and data centres powered up 24/7.
The broadcaster still runs the transmitters because they would loose their identity and market overnight if they switched them off. They could run these transmitters in simulcast or digital tomorrow, if they wanted to.

If only India had mandated their receivers to operate in all DRM modes and regions and Europe had included DRM alongside DAB as a requirement in car radios - we might get some "world band receivers" in every phone home and car.

I've just purchased my first tablet and plan to test an RTL-SDR V3 dongle using an OTG cable as soon as that item arrives, although this is probably the cheapest way to get DRM its not very practical like the Starwaves example first time it gets dropped the phone and dongle will be sans USB....

hoping to report something more positive by Xmas - but not saying which one
Aetheradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-07, 16:34   #53
tpreitzel

Hopefully, I can actually BUY this DRM receiver on Amazon in the USA in October of THIS year:

Although I don't really care for the retro look, I'm game if it becomes available. The actual price isn't important to me. Something tells me that this radio will only be available for purchase in Europe, though. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Thanks, Alokesh, for the news of this new DRM radio.

https://alokeshgupta.blogspot.com/20...starwaves.html

Last edited by tpreitzel : 2022-09-07 at 16:38.