DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2014, 04:31   #1
alokesh

New DRM receiver DR212

Thanks to DRM enthusiast Anurag Agarwal, here's the link to pre-order
newest DRM receiver from Chengdu Newstar Co. Ltd., going by
the features looks promising !

http://www.pfs-digitalradio.de/dr212/
Old 10-02-2014, 04:55   #2
tpreitzel

Good stuff. I'm pleased to see CDNSE continue to improve their line of DRM receivers. The time is NOW for DRM and CDNSE has positioned themselves to reap the rewards of their labor. Although I haven't looked at the specifications yet, I certainly hope it includes the ability to decode the xHE-AAC codec. It probably will since availability is still about a year away.

The new DR212 MULTIMEDIA receiver will probably be a hit and demand should be much higher than the DR111. Hopefully, CDNSE will continue to produce the DR111A for a couple of years as a low-end member of their product line. Broadcasters will need to continue using AAC+ in addition to the new xHE-AAC codec for several years anyway. The demand for the DR111 is still more than 800 units short currently.

Do requests for single units still need to flow through Peter as he seems to be acting as a global manager for CDNSE's production?

Last edited by tpreitzel : 10-02-2014 at 08:05.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:05   #3
Linux-DRM

AIR Receiver

Good News!
I wonder if Newstar put a bid in for AIR's new DRM receiver....maybe this is it?

Radios: MR 27024, 2 x Tecsun PL-660, Eton G3 & E5, Tecsun PL-365
Antenna: Homebrew Magnetic Loop (3-30MHz)
Software: Dream v2.2 (svn924) on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Linux-DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 10:06   #4
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel

Do requests for single units still need to flow through Peter as he seems to be acting as a global manager for CDNSE's production?

In answer to my own question, apparently the answer is yes. Anyone seeking to purchase even a single unit of the DR212 must first contact Peter with the desired quantity. This requirement is simply common sense as the cost is prohibitive to run a limited production. How much time will be required to meet 3000 units? Your guess is as good as mine. Peter says that he's receiving strong interest in the DR212 so ... we'll see.
Old 16-08-2014, 18:59   #5
tpreitzel

I received an e-mail from Peter Senger yesterday. Apparently, Newstar has decided to concentrate on manufacturing the DR212 due to insufficient interest in the updated DR111. If the DR212 finally achieves mass production (Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) of 5000 units), CDNSE will probably revisit the lower cost DR111.

Newstar has added one twist to the production of the DR212 by offering DAB/DAB+ as an option which I think is a smart move. Hopefully, the combined interest in both the standard version with DRM and the optional version consisting of DAB will finally be sufficient to meet the MOQ.

The FOB price for the DRM version is ~ $175. Depending on taxes and shipping, the cost could vary from slightly over $200 to $250.

Anyone interested in the DR212 MUST contact Peter, www.pfs-digitalradio.com , with the following information.

1. Model desired
2. Quantity desired
3. Shipping address

Last edited by tpreitzel : 16-08-2014 at 19:07.
Old 16-08-2014, 20:12   #6
Linux-DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
Newstar has added one twist to the production of the DR212 by offering DAB/DAB+ as an option which I think is a smart move. Hopefully, the combined interest in both the standard version with DRM and the optional version consisting of DAB will finally be sufficient to meet the MOQ.
This is good news, although they should not make DAB an option but as standard, that way people will buy them as a DAB radio, not realising it has DRM and they might end up trying it out later.
Making DAB as an option, I think, will just confuse matters for end users, if they are looking for a DAB radio and stumble across the newstar and then find they have to pay x amount more to have DAB, they will stop, think and move on and buy a non DRM radio. DAB integration is hardly expensive any more.
DRM needs to get into as many homes as possible right now, yes there are barely any stations right now, but within 5 years Newstar (and others?) might start selling bucket loads of these receivers and then broadcasters might consider adding some DRM airtime.
Also when advertising, they should use the full 'Digital Radio Mondiale' name and not 'DRM' as to not confuse end users with 'Digital Rights Management'.

Radios: MR 27024, 2 x Tecsun PL-660, Eton G3 & E5, Tecsun PL-365
Antenna: Homebrew Magnetic Loop (3-30MHz)
Software: Dream v2.2 (svn924) on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Linux-DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 21:13   #7
tpreitzel

Maybe, CDNSE could even offer an option with iBiquity's proprietary Hybrid Digital as few HD receivers are available for decoding both the MW and FM bands. Although I don't think adding HD capability is absolutely necessary as the MOQ should easily be met without it, it would broaden the DR212's appeal in the USA.

Overall, I think a DR212 with DRM and DAB capabilities should suffice in today's global market for a digital radio.
Old 20-08-2014, 22:37   #8
PP5AZF-Ataliba

Receiver DRM30 (0-30 mhz) and FM-DRM+ (76-108 mhz)

We need a version that contains DRM receiver decoding DRM30 (0-30 MHz) and DRM + and FM (76-108 MHz), RDS and also containing AFS.

Brazil: Broadcasters Medium Wave (AM) were allowed to migrate from "AM" to track "FM, between 88 and 108 MHz.
Where there is no spectrum, the extended use between 76 and 88 mhz range - 76-108 mhz full.

NOTE: VHF range is between 76 and 88 MHz is being launched in Brazil in FM mode but can house the DRM + digital broadcasting

I would suggest that the product also contains 455 kHz IF output and 10.7 MHz, in case we need data monitoring via computer.

Original in portuguese:
"Estamos precisando de uma versão de receptor DRM que contenha decodificação DRM30 (0 a 30 mhz) e DRM+ e FM (76 a 108 mhz), contendo também AFS e RDS.

Brasil: As emissoras de Ondas Médias (AM) foram autorizadas a migrar de "AM" para faixa de "FM, entre 88 e 108 mhz.
Onde não houver espetro, utilizarem as faixa estendida entre 76 e 88 mhz - 76 a 108 mhz total.

OBS: está faixa VHF entre 76 e 88 mhz está sendo iniciada no Brasil no modo FM mas poderá abrigar as emissoras digitais DRM+

Gostaria de sugerir que o equipamento também contenha saída FI 455 khz e 10.7 mhz, no caso de necessitarmos de monitoramento de dados via computador."

email: ataliba@intercorp.com.br

ABRADIG - Associação Brasileira de Radio Digital
www.abradig.org.br

Amostras de áudio de algumas rádios DRM:
www.zandomenego.com/ataliba/drm

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/atalibazf

Last edited by PP5AZF-Ataliba : 20-08-2014 at 22:44.
PP5AZF-Ataliba is offline   Reply With Quote