DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31-12-2013, 01:13   #16
tpreitzel

BBC, RRI Internal Debate Over Shortwave

I agree with Thomas' conclusions in this article. Despite the effort to push hybrid radio, shortwave broadcasting is as viable as ever. In fact, digital broadcasting (DRM) pushes shortwave into a technologically superior category than other forms of broadcasting including FM. With the advent of the xHE-AAC codec, broadcasters can probably continue using sloppy and underpowered configurations for their targeted areas and still reach their audience. Let's rid ourselves of the nearsighted restriction of requiring broadcasters to broadcast digital at 40% of the power of analog broadcasts. Lastly, the DRM consortium should STOP pushing nations to adopt ONE standard. Let the market decide. DRM will survive based on its superb technical merit without national intervention. Personally, I want C-QuAM, MFSK, analog, DRM, and any format which does NOT cause interference to coexist on the airwaves. The DRM consortium should stop using strong arm tactics.

http://swling.com/blog/2013/12/bbc-n...ortwave-radio/

Last edited by tpreitzel : 31-12-2013 at 01:17.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 06:40   #17
tpreitzel

Can shortwave survive if public broadcasters abandon the medium? My answer is a resounding "Yes!". * RNZI, I believe your global platform is called the InterNet which is also a great medium for global snooping and control of its participants as well. I encourage public broadcasters to join hands on the InterNet and leave shortwave for the true innovators... Personally, I couldn't care less anymore if digital shortwave ever becomes mainstream although I'm positive that it will for a number of reasons. Radio offers a free and largely unencumbered infrastructure for free communications. AM stereo never became popular with the conditioned masses either, but it's still alive and kicking. **

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...lobal-platform

* Although I haven't researched the funding of Radio Nikkei, commercial enterprise can easily succeed on shortwave with the adoption of rational configurations for digital broadcasts and unique content. AM broadcasting is struggling in the USA because of the FCC's meddling in broadcasting which has led to consolidation and blandness in the industry. Station after station on the AM band broadcasts basically the same content. For this reason, I recently asked Radio Nikkei if they have plans to broadcast DRM ... If I receive a response, I'll post it.

** This intelligently produced AM stereo broadcast in Japan clearly demonstrates its outstanding potential with musical formats. The reception is astounding via skywave.

http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/...be-turned-off/

Last edited by tpreitzel : 09-06-2014 at 08:26.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17   #18
Aetheradio

About 6 months ago RNZ expanded their programme "channels" by adding an interNet one. This is not the traditional "also streaming on your mobile device" stuff which they already provide. Its a bit hard to find.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/about/thewireless

I havent an opinion on these initiatives but its a worry when policymakers might interpret them as a viable replacement for MW and SW broadcasts. What polititians and Commercial broadcaster CEOs dont care about is the technical attributes and how it affects the vulnerable communities - who dont spend on advertisers product therefore are not deemed target (ratings) audience.

This is really why there is no interest by the commercial stations here (NZ) in digital radio. They have no audience therefore advertisers wont support the transmission. Transmitters are already operational, both DAB and DRM, since 2005. Thats 10 years, no commercial stations and no radios for sale by the retailers.

Unfortunately, if a decision was made to throw the switch on the shortwave site, it would immediately be dismantled and the equipment scrapped. nobody would build another one. Every Pacific island does or will have cheap IP (internet) by way of fibre cable or O3B satellite connectivity. This is on top of the existing Geo satellite providers. Until radios have DRM alongside AM and FM capability as standard (I believe these 3 parameters should be declared minimum compulsory performance for retail products) there is a danger shortwave will be lost. Heres hoping India can spark the revolution.

Ralph
Aetheradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:58   #19
tpreitzel

Ralph,

The current dilemma for the broadcasting game distills into content and cost. Unfortunately, quality and independence have been left sitting on the sidelines. Periodically, circumstances will arise showing the foolishness of depending on others, e.g. the VOA's purchase of air time from local re-broadcasters in Russia which then dropped VOA's programming due to Russia's spat with the US over the Ukraine. Quality and independence will ultimately be victorious, but the road to victory will be messy. Connectivity to the Internet comes with a price which is not merely a financial one. Let the masses discover reality the hard way ... In the interim, AM stereo, radiograms, digital shortwave, etc will continue to plod along on the AM bands.

The primary reason that DRM hasn't yet succeeded on shortwave in 10 years is due to poor configuration by broadcasters and its immaturity. Let's face it. DRM isn't viable on shortwave at power levels of 40% of analog and a MSC of 64 QAM. The average listener will NOT tolerate losing a significant chunk of a broadcast. With the advent of the xHE-AAC codec, the listener will still receive acceptable quality at more robust bit-rates IF broadcasters finally employ sane configurations on shortwave. As far as the MW band, digital transmissions should probably be confined to the extended portion of the MW band to minimize interference with analog broadcasts.

Lastly, audiences are minimal on the AM bands due to repetitive content, interference caused by overcrowding and poor configurations. For example, in 2013, the FCC continued its insane policy of granting new licenses on the MW band. Whereas KOKC located at OKC, OK used to be received cleanly here via skywave on 1520 kHz, it now must contend with a new 50 kW station, KKXA, located at Snohomish, WA on the same frequency. Congratulations, FCC, you blew it again. The broadcasters and regulators such as the FCC are primarily responsible for the currently messy state of affairs on AM.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 01-06-2014 at 12:05.
Old 05-02-2019, 14:06   #20
tpreitzel

If one looks VERY closely at Earth's history, it's apparent that TRENDS can change radically and rapidly for a LONG time. A particular trend doesn't mean a whole lot except to corporations seeking short-term profit. Man can easily be knocked back into the stone-age without too much difficultly. In another cycle, I suspect those humans still around will once again discover shortwave before the Spynet. Due to its rather unique properties, shortwave is "hear" to stay and humans might as well exploit it digitally as long as libraries exist to remind us.

https://www.milanoventures.com/the-future-of-shortwave/

Last edited by tpreitzel : 05-02-2019 at 14:48.