DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > Receiver Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2016, 18:54   #1
PhilipOneL

Replacement for tuning control on the MorphyRichards 27024?

I own two MorphyRichards 27024 sets. Both of them suffer somewhat from the main tuning control working *far* less effectively than it should. One of them has almost completely given up its ghost.

That tuning control is a turning button, much like an old-fashioned volume control (of which there is one right next to it). But, instead of a smooth, limited-arc turn, the tuning control has click stops, about two dozen of them in the 360 degrees (and it is not a limited arc -- it turns forever). Each of the click stops is supposed to accomplish something, and just exactly what depends on which part of the menu the user is in. For instance, when in Manual Tune mode, each click stop should move the tuning by 5 kHz; and, when in Named Station Mode, it should move from one to the next station. Sadly, the button has lost its ability to always make those changes, and -- with one of the sets -- this means it is nearly impossible to tune.

The button has one other function -- pushing it in "Enters" the information or changes the menu. This seems to work perfectly.

My hope is that this turning part is a standard part, perhaps used in other products and available to purchase so that someone handier than I am could replace the defective one.

Does anyone know?

Philip
PhilipOneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 23:54   #2
PhilipOneL

Of course, maybe I'll just have to buy that new Gospell radio . . . if it doesn't cost arms and legs.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:21   #3
G0SVN
Administrator

Rotary Encoder

Hi Philip, you need to replace the Rotary Encoder, which I understand is available from

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9117

More information about the repair can be found here

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/messages/539
Old 11-09-2016, 02:26   #4
PhilipOneL

Oops. I thought I had responded to your tip, Neil. But it looks like I did not!

Thanks very much for the tip, which I have followed up on by buying two encoder switches. Both my MorphyRichards sets will no doubt need them eventually. And I just discovered that a little "Internet radio" I have seems to have the same part, and the same problem. Maybe I'll be ordering a third one. . . .

Thanks again.

Philip