DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 13:31   #1
tpreitzel

Radio Hardware

I searched for a similar topic, but didn't find one. With the advent of SDRs, a listener needs to attach all kinds of assorted hardware. This hardware is frequently noisy which is one reason for my remaining a staunch advocate of the traditional concept of a self-contained unit.

To begin this thread, I have an LED monitor which spews all sorts of electrical noise, even more than my desktop PC itself. While I now have a reliable laptop, I still want to retain my desktop PC. However, I need a new monitor. I'm looking at newer versions of the LED monitor, but advice on these issues of electrically quiet hardware is ALWAYS appreciated by myself and others as well. If necessary, the aforementioned problem could be solved with an air choke. However, I probably won't need one as tilting the display upward should reduce the RFI on the VGA cable running to my micro-projector. This VGA cable is apparently acting like an antenna for RFI from my monitor as well as a conductor for the video signal. Regardless, the REAL problem IS the monitor's circuitry. Marginal technologies like LED monitors, LED lights, cellular telephony, power-line networking, etc are just the tip of the iceberg in the bag of regulators' nonsense. There's more than ample circumstantial evidence that regulators have primarily a political agenda, e.g "Net Neutrality" and silencing pirates, instead of a technical one. Knowing that regulators are primarily concerned with political agendas instead of technical issues, I should start a company focused on carrying radio-friendly hardware. I sense such a company would be worth a fortune in short order. These so-called "regulators" need to either return to fighting electrical interference or face termination.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...ptions.536470/

Last edited by tpreitzel : 03-06-2018 at 04:16.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 14:08   #2
tpreitzel

Cross Country Wireless designs and builds great hardware for reasonable amounts of money. I just visited their website and many of the links are dead. Furthermore, the Sentinel 4 has been discontinued. I certainly hope the company remains in business as they make innovative products. We'll see in the upcoming weeks whether this situation is simply a reorganization or termination of business. I hope it's not the latter.

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/
Old 18-05-2019, 00:25   #3
tpreitzel

Good, Cross Country Wireless seems as active as ever. There is a dedicated forum on groups.io for this company and its products, https://groups.io/g/CrossCountryWireless. Apparently, some delays have arisen regarding the production of their new Sentinel 4 receiver. Even my four year old SDR-4+ performs nearly identical to an Airspy HF+ so I can just imagine the performance from CCW's new Sentinel 4. CCW's SDRs are nearly bulletproof as well so it gets used a LOT here. Maybe, I'll upgrade...as I can't think of a better deal for a general coverage HF SDR than the ones made by CCW. These SDRs are well-protected and run cool which means they last ...

Personally, I would NOT recommend the current Airspy HF+ until the thermal output is reduced, not to the metallic heat sink, but overall. Whereas my SDR-4+ has run nearly constantly for four years, I'll be amazed if my Airspy HF+ lasts a year. If Airspy doesn't want to invest in a redesign to reduce thermal output, then a thorough finning of the current metallic case to increase surface area is the absolute minimum requirement in my opinion.

Chris, I do want a SOAPY driver for the Si570 chipset, though... Decisions...

BTW, stay away from Viewsonic LED monitors.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 18-05-2019 at 17:05.