DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17-11-2006, 10:15   #1
JC Aragon

Morphy Richards DRM Radio

The functionality with only a control for all the functions of the menus is quite complicated at first.

More buttons is what you miss , but with a little of practicing you can manage soon the receiver.

Well, the main deficiency of this receiver is the lack of a connection of outdoor antenna. Everything must be done by the telescoping antenna. Then, the receiver requests antenna for everything. That is, that the telescoping antenna is not enough for the receiverīs operation.

The reception of the conventional bands (AM/FM) is acceptable. The RDS fuction of the FM is very showy and enough outpost.

The reception of DRM frequencies on the Short Wave has the one problem of the little signal and quality by the telescoping antenna. That is the reason of the the outdoor antenna .

I have received DRM transmissions of the DW, Voice of Russia, Radio Nederland with the pertinent fadings and cuts of signal.

I have still not been able to make pick up of DRM in Medium wave.

The receiver comes with preselected frequencies, to the taste of the Germanic hearings, and is a little envies to see how the list of transmitters is enough interesting, but without the possibility of receiving them here in Spain.

I do not explain the behavior of this receiver handled in a block of floors, or building of reinforced concrete or steel, with the poor yield of that telescoping antenna. It gives the sensation of who has designed it or lives in a high and isolated zone, or in the gardens of the megawatt transmitter facilities.

I must study the idea to use an outdoor antenna and to connect it of some way to the receiver. Or connecting it to the telescoping antenna by means of a crocodile clamp.

But most evident of everything it is the shortage of emissions in DRM and, mainly, with big powers and destined to our zones.

You must wait for great periods of time for a block of emissions begins towards Europe and there is no possibility, sometimes, to have two parallel frequencies to be able to choose one or another one. The same receiver is able to do it in a search.

Of course, first it is to look for all possible and updated info of the world-wide emissions on DRM. That is easy in the sites webs available.

For a radio anorak , the receiver can frustate the experience of DRM.

So far I have experienced neither the reception of band DAB nor the facilities to record and to reproduce by means of SD cards.

Without the possibility of connecting an external antenna , I have not been able to connect the DAB antenna to it.

Of course, I will be writing down different next impressions on the handling from the receiver.
JC Aragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 21:33   #2
mitajohn

Radioscape Shipping DRM/DAB modules

Hi all,

Follow this link from RADIO magazine's Digital Radio Update http://beradio.com/digital_radio_upd...tml#radioscape
Old 23-11-2006, 13:03   #3
Radiofan

Hi all,
getting more and more accustomed to the Morphy Richards "Kitchen Radio" I had to learn again some basic behavior: patience.

For DRM-Reception some hints:

- A 5 - 15m wire as an outdoor antenna connected with a crocodile clamp on the telescope-antenna is much more than nothing to improve the reception signals on Short Wave.

- DRM Stations on Medium Wave (MW) are definitely receptable at least during night hours. Try RTL Radio on 1440 kHz, Radio Vatican on 1530 kHz or 1611 kHz, Oldistar Radio on 1575 kHz.

- Now to the patience:
First tune in AM-Mode manually to a real weak MW-AM-Station in the neighbourhood of the DRM frequency. Try to position the power cord away from the radio so that its grumbling EMI noise is reduced to the minimum. Then tune manually to one of the MW-DRM-frequencies in AM-Mode and turn the whole radio-body because of its internal ferrite antenna to the position where you hear the typical DRM-noise to the loudest. Then switch to "DRM"-Mode and manually tune the radio to the same frequency.
Wait for one or two minutes until the reception stabilizes. You will catch at least the station name and you can store the station within the reception list.

- last experience: due to the "fading" on Short and Medium Wave: you have to live with the drop outs on DRM. They are inevitable, somtimes more sometimes less...

For DAB reception:
Remember this is VHF (220 MHz) and L-Band Hyperfrequency above 1.4 GHz. so it would be necessary to get some information of the general reception conditions on the area you live.

Anyway your outdoor antenna for Short Wave could help to improve DAB-reception, too.

Don't be frustrated!
Georg

Last edited by Radiofan : 23-11-2006 at 13:24.
Radiofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 21:36   #4
DRM-Fan

Hmm does it over load with any signals ? What about 171khz on LW can you get this transmission ?

Have you tried outputting to your hi-fi for stereo reception ? How does this sound if so ?

Very odd design and the lack of a antenna socket puts me off but if the price drops I may get one not that I think there's much chance of that as barely anyone knows what DRM is anyway
Old 24-11-2006, 08:42   #5
Radiofan

Hello to all,

till now I had no luck to pick up the DRM-Station on Long Wave (177 kHz). But today I listened to BBC World News on 1296 kHz around 5 a.m. GMT with a good and stable reception.

I did not yet recognize the possible overload of signals due to the outdoor-antenna. The Radio incorporates some ALC.

If you connect the Morphy Radio to your Stereo Equipment the sound of DAB and FM is brilliant with good Stereo effect. Same if you play back your DAB recordings or MP3-Files from the inserted Memory SD-Card. DRM is not so brilliant due to the very low data transfer rate which is between 17 and 28 kB/s (performing a huge data reduction before transmission).
DRM Music and speech on DRM sometimes sounds a bit artificially. But very clear sound (almost FM-quality) comes from RTL Radio on 6095 kHz.

Regards
Georg

Last edited by Radiofan : 24-11-2006 at 08:45.
Radiofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 18:32   #6
simone
simone

Meanwhile the Morphy Richards Radio (27024) is available in some other European countries too:
http://www.digitalradioportal.com/in...1&contentId=-1

and related to this a pressrelease from Radioscape:
http://www.radioscape.com/downloads/...e/RS201106.pdf
Simone
simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 20:28   #7
N_Scheer

Hi Jimbo,
Pictures of the engineering menue:
http://forum.mysnip.de/read.php?8773,450979,page=9

But be careful! later in that forum, a guy transformed his DRM radio into a useless bric. Until now, nobody could help him.
N_Scheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 17:20   #8
fairuse

Here are some information about a version of an external antenna for the Morphy:

http://www.sat-schneider.de/download/ModMorphyen.pdf

Who knows an url for download the firmware of the Morphy? Inside Germany Morphy Richards doesnīt organize any service. The adress in the handbook doesnīt know anything about this radio in middle of November 2006.

fairuse
fairuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 15:41   #9
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairuse
Who knows an url for download the firmware of the Morphy? fairuse

I got some information on the radio back quite quickly last year by using
enquiries@morphyrichards.com
and the lady got me the information from their technical department.

There's an interesting letter from Martin Robinson of Morphy Richards in the latest issue of the British DX Club magazine in response to their review, summarising the main points:

"Models shipped so far have firmware release v113 and we are aware of a number of issues... we are expecting to release the first firmware upgrade within the coming weeks. These will be made available via the web to allow the user to download for free and receive the software improvements."

"The radio has been designed to be as future proof as possible and in the event of the implementation of the AAC+ codec for DAB and also DRM+ being rolled out we would be in a position to allow future upgrades to allow the current radio to receive these transmissions."

Does this mean the user would just be able to download the upgrades via the web?

As mentioned in their review the initial scan on AM is a compromise as it only scans selected frequencies known to currently have DRM transmissions, i.e. starts at 177, then jumps to 693 etc :

"Once the radio is put into standby it will perform a background scan of selected bands in order to build up a full database of stations available. These will be notified to the user with the ! icon on the screen and in the station list...the LW, MW and SW bands cover a very large bandwidth and to scan all the known broadcast bands for stations would take a long time, hence the compromise."

"The manual tuning also comes in for some criticism.. we are considering changing the manual tune to a decade selectable method, i.e. to allow the user to select the frequency digits individually. We have also added the ability to manually tune the radio and add this to the station database by pressing the select knob."
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:39   #10
fairuse

@MikeB

Thank you for your quick and excellent anwser about the future of the MR radio.

fairuse
fairuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:58   #11
DRM-Fan

No stereo with line out with mine anyone else ? Fortunatly the headphone output IS wired for stereo
Old 10-01-2007, 22:25   #12
ljones

No stereo? *Checks

Wow, you are correct there. I have been trying to look for a way to attach an external antenna to the MR (made another thread). But I just checked mine and yes it is mono only from the line out. You know I'm starting to get more the more I learn about this radio. After buying one of these why does it just seem to be one big compromise? Mono output, No ext. antenna what next x.x ?

ljones
ljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 22:35   #13
DRM-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones
No stereo? *Checks

Wow, you are correct there. I have been trying to look for a way to attach an external antenna to the MR (made another thread). But I just checked mine and yes it is mono only from the line out. You know I'm starting to get more the more I learn about this radio. After buying one of these why does it just seem to be one big compromise? Mono output, No ext. antenna what next x.x ?

ljones

I did'nt think I was the only one somehow ! Well there are a few mods about to swap the external speaker socket for an antenna jack and to add a battery etc but no stereo with line out is a total joke really. The headphone output will do but is not as good quality...

Any inductive MW loop does wonder for MW reception btw I was getting the 10kw Kassik Radio on 1593 this afternoon at 2pm with few drop outs using my Terk loop
Old 11-01-2007, 19:59   #14
N_Scheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM-Fan
I did'nt think I was the only one somehow ! ...... etc but no stereo with line out is a total joke really. The headphone output will do but is not as good quality...
Same constatation: Stereo on headphone, mono on line-out jack.
I opened my set .There are 2 stereo cables from the main board to the line-out and aux-in jacks. No short-cirquits.Why taking stereo cables for mono music? So there may be a mistake on the main-board?
I tried an external speaker with the built-in ampli ==> Stereo ok
Old 15-01-2007, 17:31   #15
N_Scheer

1440 sounds much better than via the headphone socket for sure ! I used a stereo to mono adapter btw
If you let the headphone in his front-socket, you have also stereo on the line-out socket.
Btw, I opened my MR-power supply with a saw and added 5 100nF capacitors between the diodes and on the sec. winding of the trafo. It eliminates hum while listening on MW or LW bands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MRNetzt.jpg (86.5 KB, 750 views)