DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 07:14   #76
tpreitzel

Apparently, the power adapter is the problem, but I need much more testing. Without load, the output is 5.03v to 5.05v which slowly rises from the former to the latter voltage over ~ 30 minutes. While attempting to log RNZI @ 11675 kHz with the AC adapter, a TM-A-5-5 (110v ~ 50 cycle in the USA?), my Newstar DR111 spontaneously rebooted every few seconds. In frustration, I finally attached my battery and the reboots ceased. Maybe another reader can suggest an alternate 5v power supply for the USA, i.e. 115v, 60 CPS, so I don't have to charge my battery every evening.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:55   #77
Digger

Please be careful when connecting other AC/DC adapters. The DR111 cannot take more than 5 Volts (or 5. plus a few tenths of a Volt) on the input and the adapter must be able to supply a stable current of at least 0.5 A. The re-booting seems to stem from an adapter with too small current output (the output voltage is not stable).

Read about my mishap here:
http://www.omnirep.se/en/drm/dr111_en.html#acdc

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/web....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 04:47   #78
tpreitzel

Terje,

I appreciate the link to your unfortunate experience and your insight into the probable source of the problem. I'll look at this situation closely as I want to keep Newstar's DR111 functioning until newer DRM equipment with xHE-AAC become available.

Thanks
Old 21-10-2013, 13:27   #79
ianf

Just to let folks know, the last of our DR111 stock is now on Amazon, we are waiting on more stock of 111As from China
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:18   #80
tpreitzel

Best wishes, Ian.

I've heard rumors that Newstar's DR111 isn't selling well. IMO, CDNSE would be CRAZY to stop selling the DR111A as the main problem was shipping the DR111 a bit early instead of waiting on xHE-AAC. CDNSE just needs to modify their current unit a bit, e.g. enlarge the current hole in the case for the display to include a 3rd line and modify the video display generator to output four smaller lines of text instead of the current larger lines. * Enable a compatibility mode with the DR111/DR111A using just two lines for the display. Update their current unit to decode xHE-AAC, and try again. Furthermore, sell a modified motherboard to enable current users to upgrade their hardware themselves for ~ $50 or so. I'd probably buy another complete unit from CDNSE if it were so modified in addition to upgrading my current DR111. Heck, they could even modify it enough to satisfy the requirements of AIR for a prototype receiver. CDNSE, your current DR111 is a pretty darn good receiver. Just modify it some...

* Maybe, enable graphics capability as well

Last edited by tpreitzel : 03-11-2013 at 04:25.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:25   #81
tpreitzel

I've decided to use a switching 5v 1A power supply which recharges my USB devices. The unloaded output voltage is 4.94v. The original power pack contained a huge and heavy transformer so the power supply ran fairly hot.

So far, the DR111 seems to running alright and the USB charger isn't abnormally warm.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 07-11-2013 at 08:04.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:21   #82
Digger

Hi,

That switched power supply is most certainly stabilized. By the way, how does it work QRM-wise? No noise from it? Some of those supplies are terrible...

Old 08-11-2013, 19:37   #83
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
Hi,

That switched power supply is most certainly stabilized. By the way, how does it work QRM-wise? No noise from it? Some of those supplies are terrible...

Although the situation is better as the spontaneous reboots appear to be gone, I'm still having periodic reboots of the DR111 even after powering it with a USB charger. When I press ANY key after the DR111 has been operating for a few hours, the DR111 reboots so I think the DR111 itself might be the problem. At this point, I'm unsure.

As far as the switched power supply, the noise from this particular USB charger doesn't appear to affect reception much at all.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 11-11-2013 at 02:01.
Old 24-11-2013, 09:11   #84
Digger

Remove the SD card, the DR111 freezes

Anyone had this problem?

1. Press the St.-By switch.
2. Set the DR111 to a DRM channel. The RX is playing DRM.
3. Insert the SD card. Record to the SD card.
4. End the log by pressing the St.-By switch.
5. Remove the SD card.
6. Press the St.-By switch to re-start the DR111.
7. Try to change the frequency by pressing the pre-set buttons. Radio freezes (every time).
8. Pull out the DC plug and start over to reboot the radio.

Ver. 790

Old 21-12-2013, 22:34   #85
tpreitzel

If one has an USB 3 PCI-E card with a Molex connector in their PC, one could probably use an USB 3 port as a temporary source of alternative power for the DR111. A fully powered USB 3 port should deliver 900 mA. Naturally, the PC must be running in this case, but it's better than nothing.
Old 22-12-2013, 07:10   #86
mvs sarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
If one has an USB 3 PCI-E card with a Molex connector in their PC, one could probably use an USB 3 port as a temporary source of alternative power for the DR111. A fully powered USB 3 port should deliver 900 mA. Naturally, the PC must be running in this case, but it's better than nothing.

perhaps we could convert an available adopter like 12V into 5V psu with 7805 and have a usb socket terminated with only the 5V supply
Elektor SDR 5/07- Elektor Preselektor - Miniwhip Antenna of PA0RDT
mvs sarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:35   #87
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs sarma
perhaps we could convert an available adopter like 12V into 5V psu with 7805 and have a usb socket terminated with only the 5V supply

I've ordered a cable for exactly this purpose. I have a 12v DC power supply (4A) and this cable will step down the voltage from 12v to 5v/2A continuous output. However, this item originates from China and won't be here until the middle of January unfortunately. How much noise this 12v to 5v adapter will introduce into the environment remains to be seen. At least, I'll be able to remove power to my main PC and thereby eliminate the noise from it.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 22-12-2013 at 07:39.
Old 22-12-2013, 16:53   #88
mvs sarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
I've ordered a cable for exactly this purpose. I have a 12v DC power supply (4A) and this cable will step down the voltage from 12v to 5v/2A continuous output. However, this item originates from China and won't be here until the middle of January unfortunately. How much noise this 12v to 5v adapter will introduce into the environment remains to be seen. At least, I'll be able to remove power to my main PC and thereby eliminate the noise from it.

2 amp converters from china could be Switch mode types.
As you know, we need Linear ones for lower noise etc even as you try to use radio while charging.
Elektor SDR 5/07- Elektor Preselektor - Miniwhip Antenna of PA0RDT
mvs sarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 08:33   #89
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs sarma
2 amp converters from china could be Switch mode types.
As you know, we need Linear ones for lower noise etc even as you try to use radio while charging.

Yes, but switching power supplies can be made to emit less EMI with some additional circuitry and cost.

My low cost, ~$12, DC(12v)/DC(5v) converter arrived today. I just soldered a couple of connectors on the cable and attached it to my 12v linear power supply. The resulting SNR from the DR111 powered by this DC/DC converter seems to be similar to the standard AC/DC power adapter supplied with the DR111. Thus far, I have no complaints as this DC/DC converter emits significantly less noise than a typical 5v USB charger. This particular DC/DC converter is made by Fulree and has a peak capacity of 3A. I may eventually buy a variable output linear power supply at some point in the future.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 31-12-2013 at 08:38.
Old 31-12-2013, 15:12   #90
ianf

We sold out of DR111s some time back, we are working with others to get more receivers for Europe, but the minimum quantities required are difficult to achieve. Meanwhile we are selling the Morphy Richards still
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote