DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 08:06   #61
ianf

Difficult to see achieving that price in Europe with VAT and shipping costs, but we are trying. I think the A version has no LW coverage, the price would drop if we import a huge number of radios but that would require a large increase in transmissions to Europe to drive interest and sales
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 00:47   #62
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
Difficult to see achieving that price in Europe with VAT and shipping costs, but we are trying. I think the A version has no LW coverage, the price would drop if we import a huge number of radios but that would require a large increase in transmissions to Europe to drive interest and sales

Exactly correct. I always thought that using Journaline on a two line display was pretty useless so removing it from the DR111A is just common sense. For the target buyer, removing LW from the DR111A probably won't matter too much. If DRM continues to increase in popularity which I think it will, volume will have to replace margin. At this point, importing a large volume is risky so you're taking the cautiously correct approach. You'll just have to keep an eye on your competition. Thanks again for promoting DRM's prospects by selling the DR111. Your business on Amazon in the UK is invaluable.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 04-02-2013 at 01:05.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54   #63
tpreitzel

Ideally, does the DRM standard allow for a clock in a receiver, e.g. Newstar's DR111, to be set (synchronized) via a broadcast? If so, possibly only a timezone would need to be manually set in the receiver's firmware since a broadcast would automatically synchronize the receiver to Zulu.
Old 23-02-2013, 20:37   #64
tpreitzel

I've recently noticed that my Newstar DR111 is locking up after ~ 30 to 40 minutes while playing a recording. Before playback freezes along with the display, the recording starts skipping and repeating. I'm using a 32 GB SD card. Currently, I haven't tried using a different card, but I'm posting this information to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. I wonder if the capacity of the SD card is too large, but it shouldn't be.
Old 24-02-2013, 08:57   #65
Digger

SD Card size

In the Firmware Upgrade document "How to upgrade firmware for DR111.pdf" the max. size of the SD card is said to be 8 GB.

My DR111 (SW:790, HW: DR111v4.1 REV A) also tends to freeze sometimes after logging: Radio to Stand-by, take out the SD card, switch on the DR111, change frequency by pressing the pre-sets and suddenly nothing works, including the Stand-by switch. Pull the DC cord and insert it again and the radio works normally (until the next hang-up).

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/web....index_en.html

Last edited by Digger : 24-02-2013 at 09:03.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 23:36   #66
tpreitzel

The artificial limitation of 8 GB must be an issue in the firmware because the standard SDHC specification allows for 32 GB cards. Fortunately, I did have an 8 GB SD card available and it works as expected so far. In other words, I was able to record a broadcast of 60 minutes and replay it just fine. I even tried using DReaM's MDI (--rsiin) capability which worked also.

Thanks

Last edited by tpreitzel : 25-02-2013 at 01:32.
Old 05-08-2013, 15:06   #67
Digger

Automatic Frequency Switching (AFS) and DR111

Automatic Frequency Switching (AFS) is something the DR111 cannot cope with when trying to log a transmission to an SD card. I had the DR111 outside this morning and started logging BBC at 0600 UTC on 7325 kHz, but at 0800 UTC the DR111 had changed frequency to 5875 kHz. It must have done so several times, because I got 29 logs during these two hours! The first was 4 minutes long, then followed by 17 logs which were less than 1 minute long. In the rest of the logs only three were longer than one minute and the longest was 6 minutes. Just for fun I put all of the 29 logs together. The 23 minutes long result is enclosed. The other 96 or so minutes were lost to AFS. It would be good to have the choice of locking the DR111 to the desired frequency to avoid this AFS if you don't want it.

Note: The title of the plotted log should have been "DR111 outside with telescopic antenna"
Attached Images
File Type: png 7325-130805-0559-0652-Terje@SE.png (38.9 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by Digger : 06-08-2013 at 12:07.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:28   #68
DRM-Belarus

The problem is known to me. I allways switch DR111 to engineer menu mode when do not want to use AFS.
DRM-Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:06   #69
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM-Belarus
I allways switch DR111 to engineer menu mode when do not want to use AFS.

Interesting. I will set the DR111 to expert mode and try BBC outside again tomorrow.

Old 19-09-2013, 09:06   #70
tpreitzel

With the release of the xHE-AAC codec, can CDNSE update the firmware in its DR111 receiver to decode audio encoded with this MODIFIED version of the HE-AAC v2 codec or is it even necessary? After all, these two variations of the SAME codec are largely identical so a fallback capability must be possible for DRM broadcasts encoded in xHE-AAC. Since I haven't yet looked at the newly updated DRM implementation guide discussing the xHE-AAC codec, I'm wondering about the compatibility of xHE-AAC to its sibling, HE-AAC v2...

Last edited by tpreitzel : 19-09-2013 at 10:00.
Old 19-09-2013, 14:24   #71
F1BJB

That's a good question because I, don't think broadcasters will adopt it if nobody
can decode .
It is not clear in their FAQ.
F1BJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 09:24   #72
tpreitzel

If manufacturers haven't already allowed for such codec tweaking in their hardware, they'll have to address this issue as it doesn't appear to be disappearing anytime soon. Most listeners will balk at replacing receivers every few years instead of upgrading them, i.e. replacing a SOCKETED IC.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 21-09-2013 at 09:33.
Old 21-09-2013, 09:42   #73
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1BJB
That's a good question because I, don't think broadcasters will adopt it if nobody
can decode .
It is not clear in their FAQ.

xHE-AAC requires a modified decoder so use of xHE-AAC likely obsoletes current DRM receivers.

Anyhow, this technological advance is significant enough that I'm willing to bear the cost of a new receiver, but I WILL be much more picky about the ability to easily upgrade any such receiver in the future.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 21-09-2013 at 09:45.
Old 11-10-2013, 00:19   #74
tpreitzel

I think I'll likely have to ask CDNSE to replace this receiver under warranty. There is a year warranty on this receiver, isn't there? Although I'm currently past the warranty period, I've been posting my problems with this receiver for the past year. Now, my receiver is spontaneously rebooting at random. This random rebooting seems to be related to the use of an SD card which naturally prohibits logging. I'll try another SD card, but I do want this information posted publicly because it's a problem. Even if my SD card is flaky, Newstar's DR111 shouldn't be spontaneously rebooting. I've had nothing but problems using SD cards with Newstar's DR111. I was initially using a 32 GB card which should be allowed under SDHC specifications. Then, I was advised by a member here to limit cards to 8 GB which I did. Although writing to SD cards has never been totally fixed with my receiver, conditions improved somewhat after switching to an 8 GB card. I'll try another lower capacity card to see if the random rebooting disappears.

EDIT: Without an SD card in my DR111, I just pressed the INFO key a couple of times and the damn receiver automatically rebooted AGAIN. It's NOT the SD card, it's a problem with Newstar's DR111 receiver. I'd like a replacement receiver, please....

Last edited by tpreitzel : 11-10-2013 at 00:24.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:41   #75
tpreitzel

Out of 5 attempts to log reception from RNZI on 11675 kHz at ~ 0530Z on Oct 11, 2013, Newstar's DR111 spontaneously rebooted in ALL 5 attempts. I'm unlikely to log this broadcast.

I finally swapped the 8 GB card with a 1 GB card and the spontaneous reboots stopped for the time being. In no way, shape or form do I think the spontaneous reboots have permanently disappeared as I was using the 8 GB card without spontaneous reboots for months. Furthermore, I even have spontaneous reboots without a SD card in the DR111 at all. I suspect the bizarre and erratic performance of Newstar's DR111 is probably related to electrical power. I'll check later.

I expect CDNSE to either replace my receiver or risk losing my future business. No owner should have to tolerate such a situation without remediation on the part of the manufacturer.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 11-10-2013 at 06:36.