DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31-07-2012, 11:49   #46
ianf

Once its approved and out I will let you know,
ianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54   #47
Linux-DRM

Unhappy DR111 Video Review

This review puts me right off buying one
Hopefully he got some duff radios.

DR111 Video Review

Radios: MR 27024, 2 x Tecsun PL-660, Eton G3 & E5, Tecsun PL-365
Antenna: Homebrew Magnetic Loop (3-30MHz)
Software: Dream v2.2 (svn924) on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Linux-DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 17:02   #48
Digger

How many DRM transmissions are targeted at Taiwan? I'll bet, not too many. I was in Japan in June, and all I could hear was Radio New Zealand, and that was not always easy - on my RF-B60 that was.

I don't understand what that man really intends. Plucking DRM to pieces? The DR111's firmware is updated from time to time, and that has probably not got through to him.

The tuning is simple, it stops on equally many stations as the RF-B60 does, and after and during every click or step you now hear the station immediately (or noise if there is no station on that channel). Today I compared my National RF-B60 to the DR111 on AM and they perform more or less the same. The S/N is slightly worse on the DR111, but connecting it to a piece of wire thrown out the window there is virtually no difference between the two.

I haven't been back to Europe until some weeks ago, and I have successfully logged at least 16 DRM transmissions with the DR111 to date. Before the logging feature was implemented I have enjoyed perfect DRM reception with the DR111 - see my posts in this Forum.

At least we should give this receiver a chance.

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/web....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33   #49
Sleepwalker

DRM111

In India several pcs of this rx are in use and those are performing satisfactorily to their owners expectations. The All India Radio (AIR) has a very ambitious plan for DRM. All the new transmitters, even the emergency setups, are being acquired keeping in mind of this. When the upgrades are complete the Newstar receiver will be much in demand in India. There is probably some axe to grind in this case.

Last edited by Sleepwalker : 05-08-2012 at 09:40.
Sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 15:35   #50
ianf

We have no complaints from any of our customers, and I've been using the radio myself for sometime, I think its fair to say I've received around 80% of TXs aimed at Europe with the Degen MS31 Antenna, now trying the PKs Loop with even better results.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newstar-DR11.../dp/B00846QAKQ
Old 08-08-2012, 15:15   #51
Sleepwalker

Performance of DR111 DRM receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux-DRM

Keith Perron of PCJ Media Network Plus says that he installed the new software in the Newstar DR111 and found that issues are fixed. He probably will come out with a second review!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:57   #52
richardinprague

I have found that my DR111 is sticking while it is scanning for frequencies at 26,000kHz.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, does anyone know if it is fixable?

I HAVE done the firmware upgrade, which seemed to go through without any problems.

Many thanks

Richard
in Prague
+?
richardinprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:38   #53
richardinprague

DR111 problem

FYI: I have received an email from Newstar to say the problem with the frequency scanning sticking at 26,000kHz is a "known" problem which they will deal with in a future firmware update

Richard
in Prague
+?
richardinprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 09:11   #54
ianf

The Newstar is reviewed in RadioUser magazine Nov edition, and on front cover in the UK
Old 30-12-2012, 20:29   #55
tpreitzel

DR111 A

I've noticed that CDNSE has released an updated version of the Newstar DR111 receiver. The specifications don't show any obvious external changes so the changes are probably mainly internal, e.g. battery access. I haven't checked though.

Ah, YEAH, the DR111A is the actual PRODUCTION model evidently.... Mass production will only help availability. Now we need much better CONTENT from a variety of sources ... it'll happen SOONER rather than later, too.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 06-01-2013 at 02:50.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:29   #56
ianf

Agreed, we need more DRM transmissions and content please.
Old 06-01-2013, 21:06   #57
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf
Agreed, we need more DRM transmissions and content please.

After I published my observations here, I've noticed another individual raising this same observation elsewhere a few days later. That particular discussion has turned into a veritable soap opera regarding the prospects of DRM. LoL

I appreciate, Ian, your reselling of the DR111 receiver. A sale of a few receivers here and there will continue to advance the prospects of DRM. Actually, fiddling with broadcasting of other digital modes on the SW bands is a waste of time as average listeners won't make the effort in receiving such broadcasts. DRM is just GOOD enough and is available now. Turn it on. Tune it to a station. Receive the content. The biggest problem lies in convincing a prospective owner that he can receive any reasonably targeted broadcast reliably. The limited availability of low-cost, compact ANTENNAS is a problem which needs to be addressed before DRM becomes very popular. As you indicated, more extensive and variegated DRM broadcasts are needed which will slowly come. Due to economic conditions brought about by fiat currencies, the governments of the world are finally being forced to face the reality of their spendthrift ways and are consequently slashing budgets including those agencies broadcasting via SW. Private commercial interests will have to fill the void and will do so over time. Many people complain about religious programming on SW, but I see religious programming as a great potential for advancing DRM as digital content like maps, historical references, etc can be broadcast along with cleaner audio. Although important, DRM is NOT solely about coverage. To listeners such as myself, DRM is both about clarity and versatility. I fully expect broadcasters to EXPLOIT DRM's capabilities for both the benefit of the listener through increased variety and the broadcaster through increased advertising.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 06-01-2013 at 21:14.
Old 11-01-2013, 16:51   #58
ianf

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree on the aerial situation, I have a Wellbrook, but use my PKs Loop SW620 , as I feel this is nearer what an ordinary DRM listener would use, I have also used the Degen, but the SW620, is more robust, but more expensive.
What we need is more transmissions like the BBC, REE ,NHK, RNZI, etc, good quality DRM with content listeners will enjoy, sadly VoN and AIR, are at the other end of the scale, IMO, bad DRM letting down the content.
Old 26-01-2013, 17:17   #59
tpreitzel

Excuse me if this subject has already been mentioned.

Since I use ZoneMinder running on a HomePlug network which interferes with SW reception, I temporarily disable ZoneMinder while listening to SW broadcasts. Most of the data on the HomePlug network consists of video.

I like to use DR111's recording capability before going to sleep, e.g. at 2200. I normally select a 90 minute timer for recording any audio and then restart ZoneMinder via the command, at, on GNU/Linux, e.g. echo "/etc/rc.d/rc.zm start" | at 2330

When I looked at the display of the DR111 this morning, it was a seeming mess. I don't think the DR111 ever automatically shutdown after 90 minutes due to the recording. When I manually pressed the clock button for a couple of seconds, the recording was saved and I could then turn off the power.

Although I haven't searched for this functionality yet, adding the ability of muting any audio would be quite valuable while using the recording capability of the DR111.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 26-01-2013 at 23:41.
Old 31-01-2013, 00:02   #60
tpreitzel

Yep, our original assumption about Newstar's DR111A was correct. It's the production model which is now available for bulk ordering. The next few months will hopefully see more distributors selling the DR111A. I suspect the retail price of the DR111A will probably hover around $100 initially. We'll see.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 31-01-2013 at 00:06.