DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17-05-2017, 07:51   #16
Digger

Neil, that might be true, it could have been for the meeting earlier this month in Switzerland. The DRM Consortium DRM list is wishful thinking anyway with lots of invalid entries. The official HFCC shortwave list have various frequency reservations in it too. My log for the BBC transmission from the 11th is here:

http://www.hobbyradio.se/sv/webplott...5-11-0752.html

http://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/webp....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 21:04   #17
tpreitzel

If Neil's observation is true, I wonder how long the BBC plans on retaining those temporary DRM entries in HFCC's database? As of yesterday, those entries were still there.

Regardless, the future for DRM on shortwave looks bright to me and I'm not an optimist by nature. I just realize the potential for the transmission of data via shortwave over long distances.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:58   #18
Digger

There was no BBC on 7330 kHz this morning, so the transmission I heard was most certainly meant for the Zürich/Baden DRM meeting. I had half planned to go there as I have some old points with SAS, but I scrapped it because nobody from Gospell had plans to attend. It would have been nice to chat with a producer about their feelings for DRM (and shortwave receivers in general).

http://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/webp....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 20:05   #19
tpreitzel

It's probably just me as I prefer reading instead of listening to unedited talk, but I get the distinct impression that many broadcasters like to hear their own voice. Hence, we have a slower than appropriate adoption of digital platforms where data can compete with audio. Although my comment may sound absurd on its face, I think it has some merit unfortunately. We supporters of DRM apparently need a direct line of communication with most current shortwave broadcasters.

Just listen to the typical radio broadcast today. Most such broadcasts could be radically condensed and better communicated through efficient editing and transmitted as a combination of audio and graphics.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote