DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17-11-2006, 09:15   #1
JC Aragon

Morphy Richards DRM Radio

The functionality with only a control for all the functions of the menus is quite complicated at first.

More buttons is what you miss , but with a little of practicing you can manage soon the receiver.

Well, the main deficiency of this receiver is the lack of a connection of outdoor antenna. Everything must be done by the telescoping antenna. Then, the receiver requests antenna for everything. That is, that the telescoping antenna is not enough for the receiver“s operation.

The reception of the conventional bands (AM/FM) is acceptable. The RDS fuction of the FM is very showy and enough outpost.

The reception of DRM frequencies on the Short Wave has the one problem of the little signal and quality by the telescoping antenna. That is the reason of the the outdoor antenna .

I have received DRM transmissions of the DW, Voice of Russia, Radio Nederland with the pertinent fadings and cuts of signal.

I have still not been able to make pick up of DRM in Medium wave.

The receiver comes with preselected frequencies, to the taste of the Germanic hearings, and is a little envies to see how the list of transmitters is enough interesting, but without the possibility of receiving them here in Spain.

I do not explain the behavior of this receiver handled in a block of floors, or building of reinforced concrete or steel, with the poor yield of that telescoping antenna. It gives the sensation of who has designed it or lives in a high and isolated zone, or in the gardens of the megawatt transmitter facilities.

I must study the idea to use an outdoor antenna and to connect it of some way to the receiver. Or connecting it to the telescoping antenna by means of a crocodile clamp.

But most evident of everything it is the shortage of emissions in DRM and, mainly, with big powers and destined to our zones.

You must wait for great periods of time for a block of emissions begins towards Europe and there is no possibility, sometimes, to have two parallel frequencies to be able to choose one or another one. The same receiver is able to do it in a search.

Of course, first it is to look for all possible and updated info of the world-wide emissions on DRM. That is easy in the sites webs available.

For a radio anorak , the receiver can frustate the experience of DRM.

So far I have experienced neither the reception of band DAB nor the facilities to record and to reproduce by means of SD cards.

Without the possibility of connecting an external antenna , I have not been able to connect the DAB antenna to it.

Of course, I will be writing down different next impressions on the handling from the receiver.
JC Aragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 20:33   #2
mitajohn

Radioscape Shipping DRM/DAB modules

Hi all,

Follow this link from RADIO magazine's Digital Radio Update http://beradio.com/digital_radio_upd...tml#radioscape
Old 23-11-2006, 12:03   #3
Radiofan

Hi all,
getting more and more accustomed to the Morphy Richards "Kitchen Radio" I had to learn again some basic behavior: patience.

For DRM-Reception some hints:

- A 5 - 15m wire as an outdoor antenna connected with a crocodile clamp on the telescope-antenna is much more than nothing to improve the reception signals on Short Wave.

- DRM Stations on Medium Wave (MW) are definitely receptable at least during night hours. Try RTL Radio on 1440 kHz, Radio Vatican on 1530 kHz or 1611 kHz, Oldistar Radio on 1575 kHz.

- Now to the patience:
First tune in AM-Mode manually to a real weak MW-AM-Station in the neighbourhood of the DRM frequency. Try to position the power cord away from the radio so that its grumbling EMI noise is reduced to the minimum. Then tune manually to one of the MW-DRM-frequencies in AM-Mode and turn the whole radio-body because of its internal ferrite antenna to the position where you hear the typical DRM-noise to the loudest. Then switch to "DRM"-Mode and manually tune the radio to the same frequency.
Wait for one or two minutes until the reception stabilizes. You will catch at least the station name and you can store the station within the reception list.

- last experience: due to the "fading" on Short and Medium Wave: you have to live with the drop outs on DRM. They are inevitable, somtimes more sometimes less...

For DAB reception:
Remember this is VHF (220 MHz) and L-Band Hyperfrequency above 1.4 GHz. so it would be necessary to get some information of the general reception conditions on the area you live.

Anyway your outdoor antenna for Short Wave could help to improve DAB-reception, too.

Don't be frustrated!
Georg

Last edited by Radiofan : 23-11-2006 at 12:24.
Radiofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 20:36   #4
DRM-Fan

Hmm does it over load with any signals ? What about 171khz on LW can you get this transmission ?

Have you tried outputting to your hi-fi for stereo reception ? How does this sound if so ?

Very odd design and the lack of a antenna socket puts me off but if the price drops I may get one not that I think there's much chance of that as barely anyone knows what DRM is anyway
Old 24-11-2006, 07:42   #5
Radiofan

Hello to all,

till now I had no luck to pick up the DRM-Station on Long Wave (177 kHz). But today I listened to BBC World News on 1296 kHz around 5 a.m. GMT with a good and stable reception.

I did not yet recognize the possible overload of signals due to the outdoor-antenna. The Radio incorporates some ALC.

If you connect the Morphy Radio to your Stereo Equipment the sound of DAB and FM is brilliant with good Stereo effect. Same if you play back your DAB recordings or MP3-Files from the inserted Memory SD-Card. DRM is not so brilliant due to the very low data transfer rate which is between 17 and 28 kB/s (performing a huge data reduction before transmission).
DRM Music and speech on DRM sometimes sounds a bit artificially. But very clear sound (almost FM-quality) comes from RTL Radio on 6095 kHz.

Regards
Georg

Last edited by Radiofan : 24-11-2006 at 07:45.
Radiofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 17:32   #6
simone
simone

Meanwhile the Morphy Richards Radio (27024) is available in some other European countries too:
http://www.digitalradioportal.com/in...1&contentId=-1

and related to this a pressrelease from Radioscape:
http://www.radioscape.com/downloads/...e/RS201106.pdf
Simone
simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 22:17   #7
DRM-Fan

Thanks for the info Radiofan. For UK readers it is available for £150 from here :-

http://www.igear.com/product_details.php?item_id=1478&
Old 11-12-2006, 15:51   #8
Radioeng

Morphy Richards Evaluation Report

Before you jump in and spend out a lot of money perhaps you should read this report on the receiver?

http://www.k-i-s-ltd.com
Radioeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 21:53   #9
DRM-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioeng
Before you jump in and spend out a lot of money perhaps you should read this report on the receiver?

http://www.k-i-s-ltd.com

Hmm interesting but £5 just for a review, don't think so !
Old 19-12-2006, 17:04   #10
DRM-Fan

There seem to be 2 different versions of the MR out there, one with a BNC type input for an apparent antenna connection...the other version without. Anyone know anything about this ?
Old 19-12-2006, 23:40   #11
jimbo

Bitrates - display

On the Morphy Richards, it sppears there are many flaws weith it. I am generally impressed but it will not do the following. (If anyone knows of a way to do the following please let me know):

1 It will not store FM RDS labels in the menu that are the same as those in DAB - ie "BBC Radio 2" (DAB) is stored - but BBC R2 (RDS FM) is not.

Also, it will not store 909 kHz for Radio 5 Live - even though the DAB version is in the list.

Another example in NW England is Century on 105.4 MHz - a regional station for those who don't know. DAB "Century MW" is stored, but "Century" (RDS) is not.

How do I get the radio to store both analogue and digital labels of the same stations? (BTW analogue audio is a bit distorted but the digital sound is great).

2 I cannot get the radio to display the bitrate of a digital station - ie how many kBit/sec it is broadcasting at. Nor can I get the radio to show signal strangth Error % - eg 0 is perfect signal.

How do I get the software upgraded in the radio to allow any of these functions if they have been added since it was packed - ie it may have been changed since it was sent out from Germany.

I only got the radio yesterday - if anyone can help with this please let me know. Thanks.

(BTW reception report - 1440 was audible on and off in Wirral on this receiver until at least 0915 this morning - not bad really).

Last edited by jimbo : 19-12-2006 at 23:42. Reason: Error
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 19:31   #12
bk227865

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo

2 I cannot get the radio to display the bitrate of a digital station - ie how many kBit/sec it is broadcasting at. Nor can I get the radio to show signal strangth Error % - eg 0 is perfect signal.

Apparantly access to the engineering menu is still available wich will do that ,
But be warned MISUSE of the menu WILL TURN YOUR RADIO INTO A BRICK.

Just activate the menu, tune down to "settings" and push
the button for a longer time (hold it), then instead of
the settings menu, there comes an engineering menu, where
you can watch the "drm stack". But be careful, as there
are also some dangerous things in this engineering menu
(eg. switching off the ferrite antenna, boot from sd card,
...).

whatever you do , DO NOT BOOT FROM FILE and try to FLASH A NEW FIRMWARE without having a card with a firmware on it from a trusted source. Apparantly the first thing that happens is that your old firmware is erased. And without a new firmware to replace it , you have a braindead radio. (paper weight).

The most usefull and harmless DRM info is probably in the "Stack Status" menu. (bps, dB, AAC, ect )

maybe do a google on Morphy Richards engineering menu, but not much info is out there at the moment.

If you are brave enough to risk other menu items , let me know how you go
bk227865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 00:10   #13
jimbo

Smile Engineering Menu

I do not have a card to go in the left slot. If I access the engineering menu without the card, will it automatically erase the software irrespective of whether I do anything else to it?

Also, how do I escape from the engineering menu if I get it accidentally without a card in the left slot? I just want to be assured that if I access this menu I can go back to nromal at any time without worrying about whether or not I will lose everhthing. Thanks for thw warning. I await a reply.

Thanks.

(BTW my profile is out of date - cannot find how to change it!)
Old 23-12-2006, 17:23   #14
bk227865

so far i do not have received my radio. altough they promised me to send it within 48 hours 2 days ago I fear it is going to be a while with the holidays coming up.

So i do not have extra details atm. nor can i test them myself.
However, just accessing the main engineering menu is probably safe.
And i assume you can exit from the menu the same way you do as with the standaard menu's

I am going to try out accessing the menu as soon as i get my radio. But until then i cannot give personal expiriences.
bk227865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 19:28   #15
N_Scheer

Hi Jimbo,
Pictures of the engineering menue:
http://forum.mysnip.de/read.php?8773,450979,page=9

But be careful! later in that forum, a guy transformed his DRM radio into a useless bric. Until now, nobody could help him.
N_Scheer is offline   Reply With Quote