DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21-08-2018, 12:53   #106
alokesh

GR-216 new firmware released (1.4 build 608)

Hi guys, we are pleased to announce the release of the version 1.4 (build 608) of GR-216 digital receiver firmware. Improvements in this new release includes:

* improved EWF (Emergency Warning Functionality)
* improved Journaline decoder
* faster DRM acquisition
* bug fixes

Please find below the download link and follow the instructions to install the firmware.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsrbdu8l5h...80709.zip?dl=0

Source : Gospell Digital Radio FB page
Old 21-08-2018, 21:03   #107
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokesh
GR-216 new firmware released (1.4 build 608)

Hi guys, we are pleased to announce the release of the version 1.4 (build 608) of GR-216 digital receiver firmware. Improvements in this new release includes:

* improved EWF (Emergency Warning Functionality)
* improved Journaline decoder
* faster DRM acquisition
* bug fixes

Please find below the download link and follow the instructions to install the firmware.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsrbdu8l5h...80709.zip?dl=0

Source : Gospell Digital Radio FB page

Alokesh,

Thanks for this update. I've been having really serious issues with build 559M of r 1.4. I've been in touch with Gospell about the possibility of returning my GR-216. However, I wanted to try to upgrade the software first. With this update which you have thankfully made readily available, I'll try it and report any success or failure before proceeding further.

Preliminary observation as a thorough investigation will require weeks of my time: Not Good. SW: 1.4 build 608, FW: 12.0.0_688_3053 is much, much better than the software (including firmware) contained in my GR-216 as shipped from Gospell in March of 2018, but it still has some distance to travel to reach an acceptable status.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 22-08-2018 at 22:30.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 22:39   #108
tpreitzel

I need to elaborate a bit on build 608 as I needed to change my initial impression to a more unfavorable one.

Build 608 is clearly superior to build 559M which should have NEVER been released. Even build 608 should NEVER have been released. Clearly, Gospell needs to more thoroughly review their firmware BEFORE releasing it. In its current state, I can and will NOT recommend the GR-216 to anyone other than an experimenter who doesn't mind Gospell's marginal releases where some bugs are fixed and other bugs are introduced.

As far as build 608 is concerned, at least my GR-216 no longer displays an "Alarm -Alarm !" condition when switching to the FM band.

New bugs:

The INTERNAL antenna has too much gain for the marginal selectivity which clearly shows at NIGHT when turning through the AM bands. The gain on the internal antenna needs a bit of tweaking downward to be acceptable. In comparison, the gain on the external antenna seems low.

Tuning is much, much worse than it was in build 559M as the delay when switching frequencies is noticeable. Actually, I can retune to a new frequency while the audio from the previous frequency continues to play. Wow! As a result, DRM is now totally useless as the GR-216 locks-up rather quickly within seconds when turning to a DRM broadcast. At least, the GR-216 doesn't lock-up when tuning in the analog mode on AM and FM, but the delay in tuning is certainly still there.

As it is, build 608 renders my GR-216 useless when tuning DRM broadcasts. However, despite the much worse tuning, I can at least use my GR-216 on analog AM and FM which is progress.

Overall, I rate the software (including firmware) of build 559M in my GR-216 as shipped from the factory in China as 1 on a scale of 5. I rate the newer build of 608 as 2 on a scale of 5. Clearly, Gospell needs to work better and faster in FIXING bugs BEFORE releasing updates. I think v5 of the GR-216 CAN be made to be an acceptable receiver, but clearly more work needs to be done with its software.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 28-08-2018 at 02:23.
Old 25-08-2018, 05:21   #109
Aetheradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokesh
The release of Titus II DRM receiver has been further delayed by three months due to integration of Fraunhofer's mm player, expected by Aug/Sept 2018.
Alokesh, did you hear the recent ABU Webinars?
Titus II was said the software will not be available for use on other devices but the radio will work for other functions which the device is capable of.

There was some other info showing the Avion and Gospel products I missed the conversation about those. A fair bit of introduction with the AIR progress.

I got a couple of questions in about what bands and modes the automotive radios have and he said the radios might not have shortwave enabled but do have VHF tested in band II, as well as the standard AM band. Do you know of any user reports of the various cars and operation of the radios?
Ralph ZL2TV
Aetheradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 19:00   #110
tpreitzel

1.4 Build 608

Immediately after updating the software from 559M to 608, I was able to see the CRC/SNR indicators move on the "DRM Status" screen along with RSSI. Now, none of the indicators EXCEPT the RF level move at all on the "DRM Status" screen.

I was listening to WINB on two different antennas (similar in reception due to different configurations) and I actually heard a bit of audio from the GR-216 while DReaM on my SDR-4+ was outputting audio fairly consistently. However, NONE of the indicators EXCEPT the RF level were moving on the "DRM Status" screen of my GR-216. Why? Bugs or broken ...
Old 29-08-2018, 01:29   #111
Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
Immediately after updating the software from 559M to 608 . . . Bugs or broken ...

Tom,
Have you tried to reload the 608 to the GR-216? Sometimes reloading helped in the past.

http://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/webp....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 23:34   #112
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
Tom,
Have you tried to reload the 608 to the GR-216? Sometimes reloading helped in the past.

No,

Based on your recommendation, I'll probably try it again.

Update: I tried several times even with different USB devices. There was no change. I do appreciate the suggestion, though. I'm trying to control my anger over this issue so I won't say more at this time.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 31-08-2018 at 02:42.
Old 01-09-2018, 21:20   #113
tpreitzel

Gospell Contact For Return of GR-216?

Since Jerry left Gospell, I don't have a personal contact at Gospell. I need a personal contact for returning my GR-216. It's obviously defective to me now. If you read back through this thread, I stated soon after receiving it that it was almost bricked at one point. Today, I arrived at that point AGAIN. My GR-216 MIGHT eventually start working again, but I'm tired of this crap.

I was listening to FM and suddenly the GR-216 stopped outputting audio. I switched back and forth between AM and FM and the only sound was intermittent clicking. I went into the settings and checked the version and sure enough the radio locked-up just as before.

Wow. Before making a final recommendation, I want readers to see how Gospell will handle this unfortunate situation. I need a contact for returning this GR-216.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:41   #114
tpreitzel

I've tried the e-mail contact on Gospell's website TWICE over the past two weeks with NO response. The e-mail is processed, but I don't receive any response. The outlook isn't good, but I'll wait a bit longer. If anyone knows of another contact, please send it to me via PM on this forum.

TIA

Update: I received a reply from Collins Lin of Gospell today via e-mail. He basically asked who sold the receiver to me. I told him that Jerry handled my purchase who left Gospell in May. I'll update the forum here so readers can track this process. It's important to both the readers, i.e. potential buyers, AND Gospell that this process is public.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 05-09-2018 at 15:02.
Old 07-09-2018, 21:23   #115
tpreitzel

I received the following e-mail from Michael Chen of Gospell today. He's probably Jerry's replacement. Michael basically asked me about the problem. Some of the dates might be a bit wrong because I wrote the following from memory:

"Michael,

My GR-216 fails to output audio on AM or FM. I occasionally hear some popping when switching bands or frequencies, but not audio. I had this problem within weeks after receiving my GR-216 in March of 2018. Suddenly, my GR-216 started to work again after being powered off for a few hours. I talked to Jerry about this issue in April, but Jerry left in May. Also, my GR-216 has never worked correctly as decoding DRM has also been problematic since receiving the GR-216. Since my GR-216 suddenly started to output audio again in April, I told Jerry that I'd keep it as long as it continued to do so. In July of 2018, my GR-216 started to display and "Alarm - Alarm!" message on the FM band which eventually disappeared as well. My GR-216 also fails to output audio with this alarm condition. Once the alarm condition stopped displaying a week later in July, my GR-216 stated to output audio and enabled me to eventually update the software to build 608 in August which completed successfully. However, shortly thereafter my GR-216 suddenly stopped outputting audio when listening to an FM station. Yesterday, Sep 6, 2018, I noticed the "Alarm - Alarm!" condition is back. Since my GR-216 stopped outputting audio about a week ago, I haven't been able to use my GR-216 at all. Something is definitely wrong with my GR-216 and it needs to be replaced.

Thanks"

BTW, thanks to Collins Lin of Gospell for notifying Michael for me.
Old 15-09-2018, 21:34   #116
tpreitzel

I received a couple of days ago, the following reply from Michael Chen of Gospell:

"Hi Tom,
i want to asking ,you don't open the box ,right ?
and company agree that ,you can send back to us ,and you pay the DHL freight first ,and when we received ,engineer will analyze the machine ,if is our problem we will return you the freight ,and if cause by your side ,you need to pay round trip freight ."

I briefly replied to Michael and explained that I had opened the box and used my GR-216 with problems for months. I further stated that my GR-216 was now functionally dead for nearly two weeks with no audio output (at the time of the message a couple of days ago). I also explained that I wanted my GR-216 replaced because of ongoing problems and I didn't object to paying for the shipping my defective GR-216 back to China.

Although the reply is basically reasonable, I now have a problem as of yesterday. My GR-216 suddenly started to output audio again after failing to do so for nearly two WEEKS. Now, if I return my GR-216 to Gospell and their testing is as poor as it was before shipping it to me in March, I'll be stuck with ADDITIONAL round-trip charges for freight to China and back to the USA. Adding insult to injury, Gospell will probably just ship my defective GR-216 back to me to only fail again later. Hence, I've changed my mind and decided to just minimize my loss.

Here's the bottom line
. Gospell is NOT properly testing these GR-216 radios prior to shipment. Hans also received a defective GR-216 from Gospell which was DOA. Gospell essentially is NOT applying any rigid standard for testing these GR-216 receivers and thereby ensuring some measure of quality PRIOR to shipping them. Hence, the buyer will LIKELY be stuck with a problem similar to mine after buying from Gospell in good faith. If Gospell wants any future business from me, Gospell will need to send me a PRE-PAID shipping label for returning my defective GR-216 to China, REPLACE my GR-216 and NOT release this defective GR-216 to ANY future customer, and pay for shipping the NEW GR-216 back to me. The motherboard on my GR-216 is DEFECTIVE and WILL fail at some point, whether it's five minutes or five months.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 15-09-2018 at 21:44.
Old 05-10-2018, 13:06   #117
tpreitzel

As of October of 2018, Gospell's current offerings lack sufficient control of quality. I've tried contacting Avion Electronics TWICE with no response. Currently, I wouldn't recommend either company to a potential buyer.

We need a NEW receiver which is properly designed, manufactured, and tested for QUALITY and PERFORMANCE prior to shipment to a customer. Europeans have a history of producing such products so maybe the focus for the DRM Consortium should be on the Europeans to produce such a DRM radio as more digital broadcasts are aimed at Europe anyway. The Japanese and Taiwanese along with South Korea might be other acceptable candidates for producing a reliable DRM radio.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 05-10-2018 at 13:15.
Old 05-10-2018, 13:19   #118
Digger

Regarding Avion I am also disappointed. They offered to change my defective receiever "tomorrow" and that was ages ago. After all, I hinted them about the noise coming from the Class D AF amplifier, horrible noise. MitaJohn wrote to me about this Class D amplifier problem, thanks to John. If Avion ever implemented my suggestions I don't know. But I never received any replacement or any refund for my research on their inferior product. As they advertise on TV "Only In India". I wonder about the "only" bit...

http://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/webp....index_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 13:28   #119
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
Regarding Avion I am also disappointed. They offered to change my defective receiever "tomorrow" and that was ages ago. After all, I hinted them about the noise coming from the Class D AF amplifier, horrible noise. MitaJohn wrote to me about this Class D amplifier problem, thanks to John. If Avion ever implemented my suggestions I don't know. But I never received any replacement or any refund for my research on their inferior product. As they advertise on TV "Only In India". I wonder about the "only" bit...

Yeah, hopefully the DRM Consortium will look into these issues and place more emphasis on the design and manufacture of quality DRM radios even if the retail price is higher. I noticed that the DRM logo (registered TM) is NOT on Gospell's GR-216. I suggest that the DRM Consortium use the power of its logo to help ensure some measure of quality from manufacturers of DRM equipment. IIUC, a DRM radio is being designed in Germany. I have no idea regarding its status.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 07-10-2018 at 22:15.