DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20-10-2012, 09:42   #1
Linux-DRM

Will Digital Radio Mondiale Save Shortwave Broadcasting?

An interesting article on Radioworld regarding DRM and whether it will save Shortwave.

Cap

Radios: MR 27024, 2 x Tecsun PL-660, Eton G3 & E5, Tecsun PL-365
Antenna: Homebrew Magnetic Loop (3-30MHz)
Software: Dream v2.2 (svn924) on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Linux-DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 02:15   #2
tpreitzel

DRM Has ALREADY Saved SW

I find it rather amusing that the author speaks in the future tense instead of the past tense regarding DRM. Not only has DRM likely saved SW broadcasting, it can also save MW (AM) broadcasting via unlicensed community radio. Granted, the author is speaking quantitatively. However, if I and other recent converts to DRM are an example of future trends, DRM has a bright future. Why? Because I currently spend at least a couple hours a day listening to DRM SW broadcasts versus listening to no analog SW broadcasts about 7 months ago. I'm not alone. I fully expect the trend of larger audiences to continue.

IMO, the DRM consortium would also be wise to encourage smaller manufacturers to design, manufacture, and sell low-power transmitters capable of transmitting unlicensed DRM via the MW band not only in the USA * but elsewhere around the world. Could ASPiSys be encouraged to build such equipment since they currently sell a C-QuAM Part 15 transmitter?

* Currently forbidden for LICENSED broadcasts in the USA.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 22-10-2012 at 02:21.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 21:45   #3
DRM-OM

Don't see how anything is saved since stations go off the air on a monthly basis and transmitting sites being dismantled short time afterwards
see Sines, Sackville, Hoerby, Flevo, ...
DRM-OM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35   #4
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM-OM
Don't see how anything is saved since stations go off the air on a monthly basis and transmitting sites being dismantled short time afterwards
see Sines, Sackville, Hoerby, Flevo, ...

Perception can be and frequently is deceiving. One commenter to the aforementioned article stated that he'd bet that DRM would go the way of Betamax within 7 years. I don't think so. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that DRM will be THEE standard for not only SW, but for digital radio in general within 7 years. Time will tell.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 02-11-2012 at 04:45.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:47   #5
tpreitzel

BTW, I sent a response to Radio World which was accurate and constructive, but it was never published. Naturally, some comments later than mine were posted, but not mine. Nothing more needs to be said about the blatant bias of the article's author... Maybe, the author is still pondering my remarks from about a week ago. LoL

Last edited by tpreitzel : 03-11-2012 at 06:54.
Old 06-12-2012, 16:25   #6
DRM-OM

regarding that RadioWorld article, esp. the map within:
This is already outdated: Chile and Sackville transmitting stations are a matter of the past, so are Rampisham, Sines and Sao Gabriel, both Portugal, and also Kvitsoy, Norway and the Vatican transmitters.
So what?
Future?
Old 07-12-2012, 17:40   #7
DRM-OM

Obviously Radio Exterior de Espana also stopped broadcasts to Europe, incl. DRM.
http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.com/201...roadcasts.html
I'm unable to verify, the website is awful, no signs of a frequency shedule

Last edited by DRM-OM : 07-12-2012 at 17:59.
Old 07-12-2012, 20:56   #8
DRM-OM

Just found this remark at Glenn Hauser's Radio World - REE also stopped Short Wave to North America:
Quote:
José Bueno also sent me a link to this page
http://www.rtve.es/radio/20121122/ra...o/576560.shtml
which explains the changes, along with preserving the most popular
programs and canceling others (what about `Amigos de la Onda Corta`?
It`s not mentioned as preserved), and trying to put a positive spin on
this --- building up REE`s ``digital`` coverage by internet and
satellite instead of SW.

These numbskulls are keeping only the Spanish DRM broadcast to NAm,
9625-9630-9635 and beyond at 00-02 via Costa Rica, ensuring the
smallest possible audience, instead of just one AM frequency!
and also
Quote:
REE`s broadcasts for North America have indeed vanished without
advance notice. Another major SW broadcaster has abandoned us!

They obviously did not want to give listeners a chance to campaign
against these cuts.

Last edited by DRM-OM : 07-12-2012 at 21:00.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:47   #9
tpreitzel

OT Rant - I Didn't Start it! :)

A future devoid of fiat currencies like the Euro and current US dollar, where governments live within their means and are financially incapable of broadcasting blatant propaganda, and commercial interests pick up the slack. DRM isn't going anywhere, but up, uP, UP in popularity just because of its excellent performance, versatility, and ability to evade control. I'm so confident of DRM's bright future that I'm planning on investing in companies producing DRM related products and services.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 10-12-2012 at 05:53.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36   #10
Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
A future devoid of fiat currencies like the Euro and current US dollar, where governments live within their means and are financially incapable of broadcasting blatant propaganda, and commercial interests pick up the slack. DRM isn't going anywhere, but up, uP, UP in popularity just because of its excellent performance, versatility, and ability to evade control. I'm so confident of DRM's bright future that I'm planning on investing in companies producing DRM related products and services.

If I had the cash I would do the same. The internet is a fantastic tool for radio but ultimately internet freedom will only exist until governments work out how to control it and then agree on the method. Given the agenda of the next ITU conference that may not be so far away. For me this was brought home during The Olympics when half the stations I listen to via the net were blocked because of copyright issues.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:44   #11
DRM-Belarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM-OM
I'm unable to verify, the website is awful, no signs of a frequency shedule

Radio Exterior de Espana shortwave shedule.
DRM-Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46   #12
DRM-OM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
this was brought home during The Olympics when half the stations I listen to via the net were blocked because of copyright issues.
This is implemented in DRM-Spec right from the beginning - and called "Conditional Access"
Quote:
6.4.3.3 Conditional access parameters data entity - type 2
This data entity allows the conditional access parameters to be sent. This data entity uses the reconfiguration
mechanism for the version flag.
• Short Id 2 bits.
• Audio CA flag 1 bit.
• Data CA flag 1 bit.
• CA system specific information n bytes.

Last edited by DRM-OM : 12-12-2012 at 05:50.
Old 09-06-2013, 00:02   #13
tpreitzel

The following quotation is from an engineer at a major broadcaster. I'm not including the individual's name because it's not relevant. I wonder if this particular engineer knows that the SDC can be configured for 4 QAM instead of the commonly used 16 QAM. For example, I receive the label of Radio Australia's 5-8 kW broadcast on 12080 kHz quite rapidly and easily under marginal atmospheric conditions. IIRC, RA uses 4 QAM on 12080 kHz for the SDC. If DRM is configured properly by the broadcaster, e.g. RNZI, I honestly can't see ANY problem with DRM even under marginal conditions. However, the majority of DRM broadcasters are FAR from configuring DRM optimally. As I see this situation, the main problem is not the excellent and flexible DRM standard(s), but rather the broadcasters of DRM broadcasts.

"I have doubts about DRM on shortwave. It drops out in conditions that are fairly common on shortwave. My decision to try digital text via shortwave was partly based on the ability of the station ID to get through via DRM, when nothing else would."

Last edited by tpreitzel : 09-06-2013 at 00:14.
Old 25-10-2013, 05:06   #14
DRM-OM

The next one to close:
http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.com/201...ica-relay.html