DRM Reception Project Forums  

Go Back   DRM Reception Project Forums > DRM Reception Project > General Topics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2016-08-01, 21:55   #301
tpreitzel

One of the best and most objective articles written on the current state of shortwave broadcasting. Naturally, I don't agree with everything, especially Sennitt's and Elliot's views on DRM. I'd be willing to bet, Kim, that DRM would consistently sink MFSK if a MSC of 16 QAM were used.

http://www.radioworld.com/article/th...e-radio/279335

Many thanks to Alokesh Gupta for placing a link to the aforementioned article on his excellent blog, Radioactivity.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 2016-08-03 at 20:25.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-02, 02:18   #302
zfyoung

Quote:
DRM would consistently sink MFSK if a MSC of 16 QAM were used
I agree with that point. According to my experiment (with more advanced decoding algorithm) DRM indeed can tolerate the most common source of interference(co-channel, lightning, engine spark.. ect.) If applying diversity reception (on the receiver side) with the support of robust low rate channel code (on the transmission side), It can withstand the most malicious jamming and the most volatile propagation condition. And when I'm talking about diversity reception, I don't mean the multiple antennas arrays several wavelength apart. I'm referring to co-located heterogeneous antennas which is compact in space and works like magic.

My Rx location: GuangXi Province @ E106°36′ N23°55′
zfyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-29, 22:32   #303
tpreitzel

Yea ... Voice of Hope is planning DRM transmissions to North America. Let the good times roll, roll, and roll some more...

http://alokeshgupta.blogspot.com/201...nsmission.html
Old 2019-06-15, 18:19   #304
tpreitzel

Digital Radio Mondiale

DRM - Enjoy perfect
Short Wave reception -
enjoy it while it is still there

The Digital Revolution on Short Wave - will it pick up at last during 2019?
Will China increase the interest in DRM on short wave?

It will be interesting to find out when and what
PantronX's Titus II will add to DRM listening

With a proper transmitter DRM configuration, short wave listening could be a pure sensation!

https://www.hobbyradio.se/en/drm/indexdrm_en.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

Terje,

Beautifully stated. Evidently, the DRM Consortium needs to define a "proper transmitter DRM configuration" for shortwave broadcasting. Emphasis really needs to be placed on a proper transmitter configuration for shortwave by the consortium since so few digital broadcasts currently exist. DRM needs more than slick marketing. DRM needs proper technical deployment which will sell it more than any type of marketing. We'll get there eventually, but many of us may be well past our prime.
Old 2019-06-30, 07:22   #305
Digger

Another thing to think about is to choose a proper transmitting antenna! Preferably an antenna with a small elevation angle.

https://hobbyradio.se/drm/webplotter.index.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-08, 14:24   #306
tpreitzel

Most of us here are probably tired of reading about this subject, but Ruxandra of the DRM Consortium makes a good case for digital radio during this pandemic. Personally, I've been harping on this subject to the point of irritation since discovering DRM, but these points by myself and the DRM Consortium remain valid. Information about this pandemic could and should have been widely available to the world during the outbreak via digital radio. It's absolutely tragic that the DRM system has not been used remotely to its potential so far. In my area of the USA, former digital broadcasters on AM HD have been turning off HD during this medical crisis. In actuality, the reverse situation should be occurring.

https://www.radioworld.com/columns-a...digital-radio?

Last edited by tpreitzel : 2020-04-09 at 02:44.
Old 2022-03-28, 00:47   #307
tpreitzel

Whatever Happened to Shortwave Radio - Updated 3/2022

James makes good comments. Although DRM has been poorly marketed, it still exists with CNR using it the most. I don't think DRM nor shortwave specifically are dead as recent international events almost beg for its continued use. Didn't Zelensky just nationalize all media in the Ukraine? It's 2022, and international shortwave broadcasters should be in position to blast the Ukraine with DRM broadcasts by now. We need new leadership at the DRM Consortium and aggressive action by its members to fund the production of DRM radios. Shortwave has proven its viability in such crises over and over again.

Thankfully, software capable of decoding DRM is readily available for cellphones so the situation isn't necessarily dire for broadcasting DRM even to the Ukraine in 2022. Find a cheap RTL-device and some wire.

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-...hortwave-radio

Last edited by tpreitzel : 2022-03-28 at 00:56.
Old 2022-03-28, 19:18   #308
DRM-OM

I fear cheap receivers won't bring all those blown-up transmitter sites back into existance ...

some german language info pages on DRM
DRM-OM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-28, 20:35   #309
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM-OM
I fear cheap receivers won't bring all those blown-up transmitter sites back into existance ...

True, it's highly unlikely (*) that cheap DRM radios will resurrect any former SW transmitting stations. Thankfully, a significant number of SW stations still exist.

* I wouldn't say never however.
Old 2022-07-29, 04:59   #310
tpreitzel

I certainly hope so. For the past week or so, I've been tweaking my RPI 4 system. In the process, the receiver chain of software on Raspberry PI OS includes GQRX (tuner), DReaM 2.2.1 (noise reduction), and qpaeq (equalization). With this software, I can even hear if an extremely weak, but intelligible signal is present among the noise floor on a given frequency band. Naturally, I can't understand such weak signals, just that they exist among the noise. On somewhat stronger signals, I can understand the content with some effort. Only on the stronger analog signals, can I fully understand and possibly enjoy the content. Fading is a real impediment to enjoying analog shortwave in my opinion. Hence, my use of equalization to reduce the effects of fading in the 2 kHz - 4 kHz audio spectrum and boosting the vocals in the 80 Hz to 250 Hz audio spectrum.

The point of the aforementioned explanation is that a robust, 16 QAM DRM signal on shortwave would alleviate much of the pain of listening to analog shortwave. Sure, I'd lose parts of the signal at times, but at least I wouldn't have to struggle with most of the broadcast.

Again, as a listener, I certainly hope that DRM has a future!

Last edited by tpreitzel : 2022-07-29 at 05:12.