DRM Software Radio Forums  

Go Back   DRM Software Radio Forums > DRM Software Radio - User Forums > Receiver Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 14:31   #16
Digger

S042P DIP: I have hundreds of them here. I'll be more than happy to give them away for free. . .

http://www.omnirep.se/en/drm/indexdrm_en.html
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27   #17
Siber

I made converters on various microcircuits : S042P, SA612, TA7358 etc. Appreciable difference in their work I have not found. The TA7358 advantage is that it does not demand from 5 Volt and above. My favourite scheme works from 1,5 Volts. A batterie is enough on half a year.
Attached Images
File Type: gif classic.GIF (13.4 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by Siber : 12-03-2010 at 06:02.
Siber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:41   #18
mvs sarma

@Digger,
It is Great that you have hundreds and willing to give off. but on the international scenario, the courier charges become too much. Hope that you can help some close in & around Swis.

@Siber,
It is interesting to see your ring modulator. May i have a suggestion. I saw R4 being substituted by a voltage ref like two schottkie diodes.
this helps a constant voltage bias irrespective of battery upto a major life of battery. the same bias could also be used for oscillator transistor. A Nice design, in fact.
Elektor SDR 5/07- Elektor Preselektor - Miniwhip Antenna of PA0RDT
mvs sarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:06   #19
Siber

Dear Sarma,
Thanks for Your advice.
I used there germanium diodes. But schottkie diodes have better characteristics. It will be better to use them instead of R4 and ring diodes.
When I made the circuit I had not of them.
However ,as it seems to me, it will not give benefit in the oscillator scheme.

Last edited by Siber : 12-03-2010 at 07:21.
Siber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48   #20
dadalbinder

A lot of examples for converters

Hello,

a nice bunch of solutions I saw in the forum.

For the mentioned Roadstar receiver there is a very stable output jack. And everything works instantly.

The problem with other receivers, one should find a suitabel place for taking the signal for the converter. The only thing necessary is a suitable solution for taking out the signal without disturbing the circuit of the receiver.

In such cases, one should take a FET-preamplifier with high impedance and connect it with a classical converter.

A nice and forwarding discussion.

Wolfgang Hartmann, Nürnberg
dadalbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:57   #21
dadalbinder

Wide and narrow in using the Roadstar

Hello,

I found two screens on my computer.

Narrow and wide filtering by the Roadstar receiver.

One could easily see some difference. Use WIDE for DRM-decoding.

Wolfgang Hartmann, Nürnberg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg narrow.jpeg (4.5 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpeg widr.jpeg (4.7 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by dadalbinder : 12-03-2010 at 10:59. Reason: filling the appendix
dadalbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 20:22   #22
gccradioscience

Still Waiting For My Setup

Still waiting for to buy my Sangean CC Crane SW and then I have to get a DRM converter box for the computer connection. I still hear 9800 kHz from Sacksville, Canada, but I cannot decode it yet. If no one cannot help me for with alternatives to DRM, then I am going to drop the project until I can get the money to buy the equipment.
gccradioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26   #23
tpreitzel

As a novice using DRM, I, too, am learning the difficulty of working with DRM. First, we have the problem of a lack of affordable receivers. Secondly, it's hard to find down-converters for suitable equipment. Unfortunately, due to a lack of time and temporary vision problems, it's quite difficult to build my own gear. I'm thinking of buying Newstar's DR111, but it's a bit too limited for my needs. Unfortunately, Uniwave is no longer manufacturing it's Di-Wave 100. I want equipment fully capable of exploiting the DRM specification. Suggestions are very much welcome.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 10-04-2012 at 03:29.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 23:33   #24
tpreitzel

I've taken my first baby steps with DRM and purchased a down-converter from Schneider in Germany. Next stop is ANOTHER down-converter from Crispino in Italy. I have use for both down-converters. After that, I'll likely buy Newstar's DR111 and use it for awhile, then donate it as a gift to a member of the family. Then, I'll buy some really serious hardware capable of exploiting the DRM specification. I'm on my way.
Old 04-05-2012, 14:26   #25
mrzfrn

Elad-S1-DRMreceiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
Then, I'll buy some really serious hardware capable of exploiting the DRM specification.
Elad-S1 receiver decode DRM30 quite well (Fraunhofer decoder)
http://www.woodboxradio.com/
http://ecom.eladit.com/
Francesco
mrzfrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 16:17   #26
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzfrn
Francesco

Nice... However, I yearn for the day when I see items "Made In the USA" again. My fellow Americans need the work, but I'll digress before I launch into a political tirade against my government.

When the time finally arrives, I'll consider my options. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 13:13   #27
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzfrn
Francesco

I think (unless I hear from DR111 folks within 40 hours *) my decision has been made by the delays surrounding availability of Newstar's DR111. I'm likely to buy:

* Ten-Tec's RX-320D by EARLY morning, May 10th ... The clock is ticking...

Last edited by tpreitzel : 08-05-2012 at 13:18.
Old 17-05-2012, 17:55   #28
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel
I think (unless I hear from DR111 folks within 40 hours *) my decision has been made by the delays surrounding availability of Newstar's DR111. I'm likely to buy:

* Ten-Tec's RX-320D by EARLY morning, May 10th ... The clock is ticking...

I did buy Ten-Tec's RX-320D instead of Newstar's DR111. Thankfully, the RX-320D has been around awhile so DRM and control software are available for both GNU/Linux and Windows operating systems. With some help, I managed to compile RX-320 for 64 bit GNU/Linux and it's been running great. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty with DReaM running on GNU/Linux as it seems much less sensitive than DReaM for Windows. * I'm using pre-built binaries since I can't compile DReaM myself currently. I have difficulty understanding the difference in sensitivity between operating systems. The major difference is the audio driver. I might eventually buy DRM software, but it can't be written in Java since I loathe Oracle. For a beginner using DRM, I'd recommend either receivers. Overall, Ten-Tec's RX-320D fits my requirements better. I'm VERY pleased with its performance and value.

* This difference is due to my running Asoka 9650 PlugLink power-line networking adapters with ZoneMinder on GNU/Linux. When temporarily running Windows, my Asoka 9650 adapters are idle. Regardless, I'm NOT ridding myself of power-line adapters. I'll just upgrade and work around the problem in the interim.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 27-05-2012 at 01:51.