View Single Post
Old 20-01-2006, 18:07   #54
dk8cb
Roland

Quote:
Originally posted by radiomann
I don't and I don't like listening to digital radio with dropouts, DRM does that maybe you should read your own reception reports before calling people negative.

Perhaps with the exception of BBC WS on 1296 kHz, where I am outside of the target area, I regularly get well over 99% audio, see my reports regarding reception on 9470 kHz and 1530 kHz. In fact, I am at a point, where the percentage of decoded audio is often not limited by reception deficiencies but by technical problems at the TX sites or at the source of the programmes (still after so many years of testing!). But these may finally be overcome and instead of just complaining, I keep trying to help broadcasters find the causes, not without success.
And even with 97% of audio, listening is quite often still enjoyable. Compare to eg SW AM or even sometimes FM in the car, where you will also have moments with unintelligibility due to selective fading (unless in case of SW, you have a synchronous detector or you are listening in SSB) or multipath reception.
Shortwave will always have it's physical limitations.

I know, it's not easy, but broadcasters should also take the organisational measures to ensure a clean signal. Yes, I am talking about choosing the right TX site, the right frequency at the right time of the day and even about trying to take administrative measures through their regulator to do something about other on-channel stations or those on neighbouring channels transmitting broadband signals and thus defying all internationally agreed standards.

Also, if you look at daytime reception of mediumwave DRM signals in the target areas, there is not much to complain about. I admit, nighttime reception is still an issue but it also seems to be related to the kind of transmitting antenna used and the last word is not yet spoken.

Roland
dk8cb is offline   Reply With Quote