View Single Post
Old 14-11-2017, 13:39   #53
tpreitzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfyoung
If you confine yourself within the 'rule box' of current DRM standard, then the answer is a resounding NO. That's why I said . But it does't mean you have to throw out the baby with dirty bath water. what I hinted is that there is Long Term Evolution of this standard (L.T.E. sounds familiar, eh?)that in the ultimate end brings out the best of analogue system and digital system.

PS. NO, laurent and I are talking about two different things, and given my academic background in information theory I know what I'm talking about: "Joint Source Channel Coding". If you not even heard about it, then google it.

Given some time, I'll look into "Joint Source Channel Coding" ... so thanks for the information. Even without further investigation, I have already concluded that an HD-like system (automatic fallback to more robust digital configurations, e.g. 16 QAM) is preferable to the current DRM standard. The digital receiver needs to make an "intelligent" selection of the proper mode instead of relying on the whims of the broadcaster. However, the overhead would be significantly higher since all the data necessary for such a decision would have to be transmitted concomitantly.

Until the DRM standard is amended, I'll stand by the need for digital SW broadcasters to use MSCs of 16 QAM ...

I'll investigate further though.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 14-11-2017 at 13:47.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote