View Single Post
Old 21-03-2013, 08:41   #2
Aetheradio

Well thats a surprisingly interesting set of questions, so heres my perspective:

1. Where do you reside?>> In a wooden house in a town in New Zealand, there is a lot of radio noise coming off the power lines and telephone lines (internet ADSL, VDSL) here, making conventional radio reception increasingly difficult.

2. Do you know if the materials used in building your residence greatly hinder reception of local broadcasts such as TV?>> A minority of houses are now being built using steel framing. But this wont affect TV in NZ because its all digital now, carried on either UHF or direct to home satellite. In both cases, external aerials are used for reception. Apartments are prewired with community antenna distribution.
3. How much time can you allocate to receiving broadcasts?>>Most of the time, if its radio and portable such as built into cellphone, car radio, home stereo tuner or AV receiver.
4. Can you accept the possibility of not receiving a particular broadcast or part of one?>> No, I find a better channel fairly quickly. Of course, a DRM radio will do this automatically, and remain delivering the exact same program to me via a better frequency. I suspect the public do not know this.
5. Can you spare at least a couple hundred dollars to buy necessary equipment?>> Well thats much less money than most youth spend on cellphones and laptops, and yes i could spend that money but nothing is available. Nothing.
6. Are you familiar with installing and running software on a computer beyond browsing the InterNet?>> Yes but I dont recommend that method for someone who wants to get a better radio.
7. Do you have space and permission to erect an external antenna outdoors if needed?>> Yes but its not necessary for shortwave reception, a piece of wire thrown out the window, or buy or make an indoor loop, or use the active antenna that comes with a real shortwave ("world band radio")set.
8. Do you understand the meaning of UTC as applied to time?>> Yes, it means I have to get up at 4am to listen to "The Disco Palace" LOL
9. What factor motivates you to receive broadcasts in one of the DRM standards, e.g. cleaner audio, text, graphics, video?>> because I can. - And I believe its the best system available to do those things.
10. Who can you ask for local help if needed?>> There are a couple of other Shortwave Listeners in NZ who run similar websites

I have a question for broadcasters:

Can your shrewd use of the DRM standards help a listener to de-hamify the experience of receiving such a broadcast?>> I dont think broadcasters understand this question. Although our Radio Broadcasters Association do support the provision for DRM as a standard for future, none have started domestic transmission.

I have a question for manufacturers of gear enabling reception of DRM broadcasts which includes antennas:

How can you continually improve your product's quality, availability, functionality, and performance to help a listener to de-hamify the experience of receiving a DRM broadcast? Quality, availability, functionality, and performance imply reliability, cost, quantity, form (interface), size, capability, etc.>> In my opinion only 2 manufacturers got close to a good product, Sarapulsky and MSway. Unfortunately we didnt get the opportunity to buy them. NewStar is also highly commended for achieving what they have, however none of these radios meet the current DRM minimum performance standards - ie. they dont have DRM+ capability, let alone a high end model with Diveemo.
we have a saying here "dead in the water" - like the DAB radio I have in the office, must have cost a lot, and doesnt even pick up AM or FM stations, and cannot tune into the DAB+ station up the road, that went on air about 2005.
I think consumers dont like getting burned twice in the same decade. If you want to sell a radio, make sure it can pick up the basic worldwide standards. It doesnt cost much. The digital process chipsets available for radios are already there and have digital demodulation and Shortwave tuner, the Pioneer car radios sold here have this in them but the retailers dont know it, so the buyers dont ask for it. In theory when they add the decoding chipset required for the IBOC market it will allow the inclusion of DRM at essentially no extra cost.
Aetheradio is offline   Reply With Quote