View Single Post
Old 21-03-2013, 02:54   #1
tpreitzel

De-Hamifying DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale)

This thread's purpose is primarily about simplifying reception of DRM30 on the shortwave bands as much as possible to encourage listeners without a background in radio. Reception of DRM30 on the medium wave band (AM) and DRM+ on the frequency modulation band (FM) aren't nearly as problematic due to relatively local sources compared to distant sources for DRM30 on the shortwave bands. Effective solutions will largely apply to all bands utilizing DRM30 and DRM+. Before posting, please evaluate your biases (indoctrination) to keep any recommendations as simple as possible for the aforementioned group. Assume other international alternatives, both broadcast and non-broadcast, to DRM30 do NOT exist. Please avoid esoteric language such a Q code, etc.

I have some questions for this group:

1. Where do you reside while listening to broadcasts? Include city, country, and type of residence, e.g. home, car, etc.
2. Do you know if the materials used in building your residence greatly hinder reception of local broadcasts such as TV?
3. How much time can you allocate to receiving broadcasts?
4. Can you accept the possibility of not receiving a scheduled broadcast or part of one?
5. Can you spare at least a couple hundred dollars to buy necessary equipment?
6. Are you familiar with installing and running software on a computer beyond browsing the InterNet?
7. Do you have space and permission to erect an external antenna outdoors if needed?
8. Do you understand the meaning of UTC as applied to time?
9. What factor motivates you to receive broadcasts in one of the DRM standards, e.g. cleaner audio, text, graphics, video?
10. Who can you ask for local help if needed?

I have a question for broadcasters:

Can a creative and thorough application of the DRM standards help a listener to de-hamify the experience of receiving such a broadcast? A few of a vast number of examples include periodic transmission of sufficiently detailed maps so listeners can pinpoint their location within the coverage area of the transmitter, optimal configurations based on season, advisories and rebroadcasts where appropriate due to future and past interruptions in schedule (intense solar and geomagnetic activity), etc.? Ideally, a listener shouldn't have to switch mediums for additional information on a particular broadcast as another medium may not be available.

I have a question for manufacturers of gear enabling reception of DRM broadcasts which includes antennas:

How can you continually improve your product's quality, availability, functionality, and performance to help a listener to de-hamify the experience of receiving a DRM broadcast? Quality, availability, functionality, and performance imply reliability, cost, distribution, form (interface), size, capability, etc.

I'll add more to this thread as opportunity arises.

Last edited by tpreitzel : 07-04-2013 at 07:03.
tpreitzel is offline   Reply With Quote