DRM Reception Project Forums

DRM Reception Project Forums (https://www.drmrx.org/forum/index.php)
-   Soundcard Issues (https://www.drmrx.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Eton S450 and Dream on Inspiron 1564 no audio (https://www.drmrx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2394)

ianf 2012-03-22 22:34

Eton S450 and Dream on Inspiron 1564 no audio

I'm trying Dream 1.13 with an Eton S450 with Crispinos convertor and I decode data but no audio , I get 2 bars with a signal strength that's never beyond 50 % , ideas welcome, my Morphy Richards gives audio on same 6030Mhz

mvs sarma 2012-03-23 03:58

WELCOME to DRMrx.com

i feel that the input preamp is needed at 455KHz. if the IF is different, perhaps you need to change the freq of resonator to make the output somewhere in the 10 to 15KHz as cetre point. the 12KHz output may have little more gain

finally i wonder that the dream has to be configured to accept mic input at 12KHz by selecting the suitable hardware.

all the best
PS: by model number, it appears that the 2nd if is 450KHz
the user manual is not clear whether the Fsockt behind (perhaps IF socket) outputs 450 or so KHz or converted 12KHz

ifg IF out is 450KHz, yopu need to use 465 or 467KHz resonator and try to pull it down to atleast 465 so that output would be 15KHz at the centre.

ianf 2012-03-23 06:59

Thanks for your help, I did email Eton and they said the IF output was at 455kHz, so I used Crispinos 455 board, the Laptop also switches to Line Input when you plug in the board, and I have adjusted the levels

Digger 2012-03-23 08:02

Hi, did you try another version of Dream, i.e. 1.6.1 or 1.7.9? I have so far not succeded in getting any audio out of Dream 1.13 despite many tips and hints. I am running W7 on a cheap HP laptop.

mvs sarma 2012-03-23 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger
Hi, did you try another version of Dream, i.e. 1.6.1 or 1.7.9? I have so far not succeded in getting any audio out of Dream 1.13 despite many tips and hints. I am running W7 on a cheap HP laptop.

Dream 1.13 needs a .dll file
hope you have obtained that placed it in your folder. i once tried dream1.13 and succeeded''

PS: sorry it was about Dream Ver1.14

however, dream 1.13, doesnt haaccrpet remote tuning of the Rx hardware like elektoe usb sdr.
while ver1.12b does it

Digger 2012-03-23 11:44

Hi Sarma,

I know, but so far no luck despite many helpful hints from Forum users. I am happy even with the 1.6.1 even that it always produces an error message when I close it under W7.

ianf 2012-03-23 13:14

I tried 1.14 with the dll which someone compiled for me, no audio and complains about missing files when launched on Win7 64 bit, now trying 1.13, no errors but no audio, is there a guaranteed working copy of Dream around

gccradioscience 2012-03-24 05:58

Where Are The Converters At? This Is Becoming A Failure!!!

Where are the down converters at? Why are kit manufacturers not making them? Why are we not seeing DRM and they are just coming up with prototypes and BS? Is it a FCC, Gov issue?

DRM is a mode that short wave broadcasters are using, but the listener is trying to tune in, but will take forever to tune in and misses out. I feel that DRM is another mode that is for a limited audience, VIP's, the elite, someone who has a better income in the world with a top notch PC and a homebrewed and hacked down converter. And DRM is still a long lasting experiment and prototype (Coming To A Radio Shack Store Near You in 2016). Look where HD radio is going it's already in home theater receivers, would you ever see DRM+ in a home theater receiver? Maybe in 20 years from now.

Did you know that the Dream software you download does not have the codecs included? This digital radio transistion is a becoming a failure in my hobby all I have is HD radio on AM and FM and no DRM decoding. I bought a S-450DLX and now it's collecting dust and is junk why? Doe down-converter
ring a bell?

When someone tunes to that digital radio hash on shortwave they just suddenly stop listening unplug the antenna and then put the radio away days start to watch TV or get online and then that broadcaster is going to one day soon lose listenership and ratings go down and lose funding. We need to stop this listener drop out give us a assember digital radio mondiale converter and built DRM short wave receiver. A radio receiver we spend so much money on DRM is like your TV without the converter box tuning into just static.

mvs sarma 2012-03-24 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianf
I tried 1.14 with the dll which someone compiled for me, no audio and complains about missing files when launched on Win7 64 bit, now trying 1.13, no errors but no audio, is there a guaranteed working copy of Dream around

yes
faad_drm.dll or some such file would be called for
take from me but i had used it under winxp

check a pm sent to you.

ianf 2012-03-24 21:12

I agree, I dont know why there isnt a hardware down convertor from IF to DRM audio and a display, surely Eton could make one to sell as an accessory for their radios, or Pure in the UK could easily do it, but Ofcom and the UK Govt. are still being slow in the UK, its not at all a mass market product.

ianf 2012-04-04 12:23

Still no audio, I get 2 bars green, and everything green in Dream but not the MSC top one, that is RED, have emailed Eton again over exact IF output frequency, as I suspect you are correct that its not 455kHz as they say, I'm going to try the official DRM software as well.

Digger 2012-04-04 12:31

Hi, could you make a screen shot of the Dream "Evaluation Dialog" showing the "Input Spectrum" under "Spectrum" in the "Chart Selector" drop-down menu?

ianf 2012-04-04 12:48

Yes I will, when I get home, I suspect we will find its not centred on 12kHz
Thanks for your help

ianf 2012-04-04 21:05

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Dream graph on 9950 tonight

ianf 2012-04-04 21:23

1 Attachment(s)
And this as well thanks