DRM Reception Project Forums

DRM Reception Project Forums (https://www.drmrx.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.drmrx.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Does DRM have a future? (https://www.drmrx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1292)

radiomann 2005-12-21 21:56

Does DRM have a future?

Sorry to say but DRM has become boring now, nothing on in the evening/night, daytime is nothing special, to many dropouts to try to enjoy anything, even Luxy sounds boring and dull, does DRM have a future? Not from what I've heard so far not even used it the past few days.

Paul

DRM-Fan 2005-12-22 23:50

Hi Paul

It's a shame there's no info about DRM on radio and tv. I would guess near enough no one (aka Joe Public) knows about DRM for this reason.

I guess things will change with more stations and freqs etc when radios appear at last in a few months but even then maybe not. If broadcasters are just not interested in DRM then nothing will change. It was the same with AM stereo tests in the UK back in 1990. That's all they became as there was practically no interest in this either

dk8cb 2005-12-23 00:41

Quote:

Originally posted by DRM-Fan aka amstereofan

It's a shame there's no info about DRM on radio and tv.
... It was the same with AM stereo tests in the UK back in 1990. That's all they became as there was practically no interest in this either

What would the public do with such an information as long as there are no receivers in the shops?
I guess that all people that are somehow interested in shortwave will have heard about DRM in the meantime. Many of these however will not have had the chance to listen to a good quality DRM transmission. But where should they, if there are no receivers available except from the solutions available to a comparatively small number of people?

Better consider this situation as a challenge for yourself to spread information about DRM among the people you know. I have done so and I have also mailed people recordings of interesting programmes eg from BBCWS. The reaction was quite positive.

BTW: The AM stereo times are over ...

Roland

DRM-Fan 2005-12-23 11:04

Quote:

Originally posted by dk8cb

Better consider this situation as a challenge for yourself to spread information about DRM among the people you know. I have done so and I have also mailed people recordings of interesting programmes eg from BBCWS. The reaction was quite positive.

Roland

DRM is still a long way from being well known about. I've also emailed a few media people one with a tech phone in spot trying to get him to talk about it etc.

AM stereo is still quite alive in many countries actually incl USA, Australia and Japan. In fact one reason everything was quashed here was that Germany were apparently developing an RDS system for AM at the time

Ofcom are so ridicoulously slow at implementing any tests etc I can forsee even six months after radios have been out there still want be any real tests on MW etc. DAB rules here!

MikeB 2005-12-23 15:04

Ofcom are a regulator and as such cannot implement tests only make licences available and they have. They have granted test and development licences to four UK transmitter companies.

They have always mentioned the possibilities for using DRM on AMin their reports and are now going to consult as to whether they should issue AM licences as DRM ones. They have now mentioned the DRM extension to 30MHz+ I can't see what more they can do.

DRM will happen in the UK if there is interest from the BBC, the major commercial radio companies or the smaller/community stations.

There is an article on DRM in today Times:

Debate over digital radio is sending mixed signals By Dan Sabbagh
As Britain embraces DAB, another standard is gaining appeal

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...957315,00.html

DRM-Fan 2005-12-23 15:54

Hmm very good report that! DRM radios in January or Feb, let's hope so then

Re ofcom there is no need for any consulation is there ? Do you think any commercial radio stations know about DRM ?

radiomann 2005-12-23 17:10

[quote]Originally posted by dk8cb
[b]

What would the public do with such an information as long as there are no receivers in the shops?
I guess that all people that are somehow interested in shortwave will have heard about DRM in the meantime. Many of these however will not have had the chance to listen to a good quality DRM transmission. But where should they, if there are no receivers available except from the solutions available to a comparatively small number of people?

Well I have mentioned DRM to all my friends and work colleuges and the first thing they ask is whats on it, when I tell them the same answer comes back, "is that it, sounds boring" I have a number of good mates in the radio industry and they they don't seem interested either, sure maybe 5 - 10 years time but I don't see it being a big thing in the UK. SW transmissions seem pretty pointless as in most cases to many dropouts, your average punter won't put up with that.

Paul

G8JQW 2005-12-23 17:37

Quote:

Originally posted by DRM-Fan
Hmm very good report that! DRM radios in January or Feb, let's hope so then
I doubt it - Roberts Radio haven't decided whether to manufacture using the RS5000 module, they have cited to me previously the fact that there are no UK DRM stations as ‘the biggest problem’.

73 … Roger

MikeB 2005-12-23 17:51

Quote:

Originally posted by DRM-Fan

Re ofcom there is no need for any consulation is there ? Do you think any commercial radio stations know about DRM ?

I don't see your point. If there is no need for consultation there will, in consequence be no DRM in the UK. So you would ask Ofcom to withdraw the question they are putting in their major review:

Should these (local analogue) licences be advertised as analogue licences at all or should they be awarded to use some new technology such as DRM?

The commercial radio stations in the UK are of course aware of DRM as it has been mentioned in Ofcoms Radio Reviews though I have not had a chance to read their responses, they have participated in the shortwave tests from Austria and they are participating in the 26 Mhz tests. In particular Classic FM, Talksport and Virgin the three national commercial licencees.

DRM-Fan 2005-12-23 17:52

Quote:

Originally posted by G8JQW

I doubt it - Robert Radio haven't decided whether to manufacture using the RS500 module, they have cited to me previously the fact that there are no UK DRM stations as ‘the biggest problem’.

73 … Roger

Oh great, An over optimistic reporter then. Someone has to make a move broadcasters or manufacturers, with each waiting for the other nothing will happen, what a mess

MikeB 2005-12-23 17:56

Quote:

I doubt it - Roberts Radio haven't decided whether to manufacture using the RS5000 module, they have cited to me previously the fact that there are no UK DRM stations as ‘the biggest problem’.

73 … Roger

Email Radioscape and they will tell you that the sets will be available in volume in Q1 2006 and limited quantities before that, presumably tests sets for a closed group of professionals.

Their first market is Germany and the Benelux where the sets are sold as Sangean, they rebadge them as Roberts in the UK. There are more DRM transmissions in that market, BBCWS, Luxembourg, Deutschlandfunk among others. I wonder whether the Roberts spokesperson you talked to was confusing manufacturing with UK marketing?

G8JQW 2005-12-23 18:09

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeB

I wonder whether the Roberts spokesperson you talked to was confusing manufacturing with UK marketing?

yes that's possible, but Sangean denied that the unit that Roberts Radio was evaluating was manufactured by them :confused:

73 ... Roger

Connor Walsh 2005-12-23 18:29

I asked a friend visiting Taiwan earlier this week to phone Sangean's head office – and they said to wait "another year or two" before they would be making DRM sets! I hope they just meant making them available in Taiwan though, otherwise there is a bit too much conflicting information out there.

The current selection of programming shouldn't be taken as a suggestion of DRM not having a future – let's be honest, apart from the BBC, there probably isn't an International Broadcaster in Europe that could put up a 24 hour service in one language right now.

I think one of the things to help get DRM off hte ground will be expats and emigrants being able to tune into radio from their homelands, with relative ease and less the daunting task of understanding how to get a computer working at that.

I also think commercial radio groups will jump onto re-transmission services (from other countries) once combi DAB/DRM receivers are out there: I can think of NewsTalk in Ireland, Virgin and Talksport in the UK, RTL in France and Germany, and probably plenty more, who would love to have such straight-forward national coverage, and often without any licence complications.

So we really are waiting for the radios…!

MikeB 2005-12-23 19:02

Quote:

yes that's possible, but Sangean denied that the unit that Roberts Radio was evaluating was manufactured by them :confused:

73 ... Roger

Yes confused too as one of the IFA radios looked like a current Roberts/Sangean DAB set.

We will just have to wait and see, I will email Radioscape again if nothing appears.

DRM-Fan 2005-12-24 00:57

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeB

Yes confused too as one of the IFA radios looked like a current Roberts/Sangean DAB set.

We will just have to wait and see, I will email Radioscape again if nothing appears.

You are talking about the RD20 (image attached) ? This has to be the nicest looking. Fallen a lot in price in the last few months