PDA

View Full Version : Redsun RP2100

Linux-DRM
28-08-2011, 21:24
This afternoon I fitted a I5XWW downconverter inside my 25 BIN e*ay bargain Redsun RP2100.

Located the 'AM IF OUT' on the RF board (Once you have removed the 6 screws from the back, remove the front panel, control board PCB & the plastic mount directly below it), I desoldered the coax from the 'AM IF OUT' point and connected it to the input of the downconverter (via a small run of mini coax). Then took the output of the converter via mini coax to the 'AM IF OUT' which feeds the PAL connector on the rear. This now means it's ready for feeding directly to your PC soundcard. I also found a power supply point in the Redsun to feed the converter board and I now have a pretty good SNR DRM receiver.

Remember, if your after SSB/CW signals from the Redsun (or any other IF OUT equipped receiver) use the AM menu option Settings > AM (analog) in DREAM.

Cap

mvs sarma
31-08-2011, 14:03
This afternoon I fitted a I5XWW downconverter inside my 25 BIN e*ay bargain Redsun RP2100.

Located the 'AM IF OUT' on the RF board (Once you have removed the 6 screws from the back, remove the front panel, control board PCB & the plastic mount directly below it), .......Remember, if your after SSB/CW signals from the Redsun (or any other IF OUT equipped receiver) use the AM menu option Settings > AM (analog) in DREAM. Cap
Few photos, if possible please.....

nice post

Linux-DRM
31-08-2011, 21:29
Yes, should have taken some photos when doing it but got caught up in the moment :)
I did not want to open my Redsun again so I have taken some photos from the web and annotated them (copyright notice in tact).

First, remove the six screws on the rear of the radio (there is a screw in the battery compartment).
With a little work the front panel should come loose with the speaker attached, put the front panel to the side of the radio (you can desolder the speaker if you wish).

You should now see the front panel PCB which should have the highlighted screws & connectors removed/disconnected (see FrontPanelPCB.gif attachment).

Now you see the plastic mount where the band switch & mode switch sit. Remove the screws and it should just lift off (Note the position of both switches or ensure both are fully to the left before removing so you can easily replace it).

Now you should see the Mainboard with the 'AM IF OUT' connection (see Mainboard.gif attachment). Remove the coax and connect it to the input of your downconverter (you may need a length off mini coax). Then connect the output of your downconverter back to the 'AM IF OUT' PCB connection point via mini coax.

You should be able to find approx 9v on the Audio board to power your downconverter (see bottom right of Mainboard.gif attachment). I used a I5XWW downconverter which says it needs 12v but 9v seems to work fine.

This will then present 12kHz to the PAL 'AM IF OUT' connector on the rear of the Redsun RP2100. I mounted my board at the base under the front panel PCB as there is plenty of room there.

Sorry for the small res photos but site will only allow to upload <100kb :(

Hope this helps......cheers!

Cap