PDA

View Full Version : DRM V2.0.38 just stopped working

EricC
08-01-2007, 05:01
Hello,

I am using a Thinkpad 600X with Windows 2K. The DRM software was working Saturday, but Sunday I could not get it to decode anything at all. The software works on another computer but when I moved the audio signal input to the 600X it would not decode. The Line In works as I can run other decoding software okay.

The signal display shows a properly tuned in signal and it appeared the same as the display on the computer that worked. The SNR display showed NA but ocassionally briefly showed values in the 2 to 4 dB range. The sync light would flicker one or two times every minute or so. Again if I move over to another computer the sync light would come on and I would start getting decoding and audio within 10 seconds.

I reinstalled the software with no change. Do I need to remove the software first before reinstall? I have not installed anything new on the computer.

73 Eric

simone
08-01-2007, 07:28
Hi Eric,
two thoughts:
what DC frequency does dream show?
Could it be that you accidentally changed settings for spectrum inversion?
Simone

mitajohn
08-01-2007, 13:43
Hi,

Are you connected the IF out to both of your soundcard's audio input channels? I think DRMsoft receives, by default, only the L channel.

EricC
08-01-2007, 14:39
Hello,

Spectrum inversion was off and the cable setup to the soundcard remained the same. The only thing different was the ethernet was connected on saturday and not connected on sunday. So I tried running the program with and without ethernet. I got strange results!

When I plugged in the ethernet it worked. The signal did not decode audio but I got a solid sync and data light with a SNR from 7 to 9 dB. If I unplugged the ethernet cable it would break sync about the time the LAN disconnected message appeared. While the ethernet is unplugged it went into a pattern of the sync (and sometimes data) indicators going on with a SNR from 5 to 7 for about 4 to 6 seconds then everything would unsync for about 10 to 15 seconds. The signal displayed remained the same. I looked at CPU usage and it did not vary much at around 45%. I used Ethereal and could not see any network traffic from the program.

I tried my other laptop and it worked fine with the ethernet plugged in or unplugged. The other laptop is a Thinkpad Z60t with Windows XP.

I need to do some more tests. This evening has a strong Radio China transmission from Sackville that I can use. I might setup another desktop computer with Windows 2K for another datapoint.

73 Eric

mitajohn
08-01-2007, 15:06
Hi,

Just a guess, have you checked the ground connections ?

EricC
09-01-2007, 03:40
Hello,

I could not hear 6080 tonight. However I did hookup the DReaM transmitter and got sync with over 40 dB SNR. If I disconnect the ethernet cable then unsync occurs and SNR drops to NA. Just like before and no change in the waveform.

The laptop is using a cardbus ethernet device so I removed the device and the program synced and I got over 40 dB SNR again. If I put the cardbus ethernet device back in without the cable connected the program will unsync and the SNR drops to NA.

So the problem appears to be software. I have to remember to remove the ethernet card when using the DRM software.

73 Eric

DRM-Fan
13-01-2007, 01:21
Why are you not using Dream btw ?

EricC
13-01-2007, 15:43
Why are you not using Dream btw ?
Hello,

I am using both. I got a DRM license for helping out with DRM at the SWL Winterfest several years ago. I run DRM in Windows on the Thinkpad 600x because I have not updated the Linux and compiled DReaM. I have an ELAD converter on my AOR 5000 receiver. I recently built a Velleman broadband amplifier kit and use it on the IF Output as the AOR 5000 level is low.

The DReaM configuration on my Thinkpad Z60t uses either the ELAD converter or the USRP board. The USRP board runs GNURadio so the laptop is converting the samples from the USRP board to I/Q baseband and feeding it to the DReaM software.

73 Eric