PDA

View Full Version : Calling All North American DRMers

fibber
11-10-2006, 13:50
Is there an easy way to determine how many North Americans are on this board? Perhaps we could do a better job coordinating reports and get the fire lit under some of these broadcasters to encourage targeting us. Any ideas?
A Yahoo group? Anything?

fibber
12-10-2006, 14:22
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/drmna/

A group for discussion of Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) broadcasting in North America. Members may be from anywhere around the globe, but discussion should revolve around programming and reception issues of those living in Canada, USA and Mexico.

Join if you like. This group will NOT be for reception reports, more for coordinating efforts.

dk8cb
13-10-2006, 08:02
Anyone posting on a yahoo group should be aware of the fact that this will put his or her email address more or less in the public domain where it can then be collected by automated bots run by spammers which are constantly scanning the internet for email addresses. There are bots who register on Yahoo groups and then have all the posts containing undisguised email addresses mailed to them out of which they can retrieve the email addresses.
So, it would be better not to use your normal email address but a specially created 'throw-away' email address which can be dumped if spammed too much.

Just my 2 cents...

Roland

mitajohn
13-10-2006, 13:46
Roland, you are absolutely right !

John.

fibber
13-10-2006, 13:53
I have set it so that I have to approve all subscriptions. I run numerous other Yahoo groups like this and have had no problems like this.

Brendan1
13-10-2006, 14:09
I belong to a YahooGroups, called UDXF, for utilities monitors, and I have had no increase in spam since joining about 6 months ago. The group originally started as "WUN" and needed to shift for organizational reasons to a cost-free basis. Many members had doubts about the switch, but time and experience have shown that the situation is not as bad as thought. The worst problem that users have found is that various ISP's around the world won't pass the message traffic from time to time, and need to be updated as to the non-spam nature of these particular YahooGroup emails. Yahoo didn't change anything, the ISP's did.

Yahoo has had a bad reputation for the spam issues, but in my experience this has apparently been changed. I have had no ISP problems, Yahoo doesn't send me anything I don't want, and my spam count is not any higher.

I cannot vouch for Yahoo outside of North America, I don't have any experience with overseas portals. Whether that makes a difference or not, I have no idea.

Brendan
Tucson

dk8cb
13-10-2006, 15:00
As long as you just belong to a Yahoo group and don't post there, the email address will not be easily retrievable. If the moderator also takes care to manually approve all subscriptions then it may also be ok. However the latter is beyond the control of the user and one doesn't usually know the user acceptance mode set by the moderator when one joins such a group.

I belong to another Yahoo group and I do not post there, I only read, and there has been a lot of spam sent to this group by spambots which registered (most likely through an automated process) and which were admitted instantly. As members they have full access to the email addresses of all those who post there.

Roland

Brendan1
13-10-2006, 17:50
Guten Abend, Roland.

I think the moderator (Fibber on here) is doing it manually. I'll ask him about it. So there are only myself and him anyway. I do post occasionally to the UDXF group, so if I've been robo-harvested it's too late. I do know the moderators there do it manually, since spam was a concern from day one.

If anything, my spam is way down in recent months, but I think it is mostly due to my ISP changing filters and becoming more effective.

Wiedersehen

DBourne
14-10-2006, 06:33
I still get put off by the note saying your email address will be displayed on Yahoo groups when you post so spammers can pick it up.
Try this useful US DRM user link I found once
http://www.g7ltt.com/drm/index.html

dk8cb
14-10-2006, 08:27
I still get put off by the note saying your email address will be displayed on Yahoo groups when you post so spammers can pick it up.

It is not quite like that. Just browsing the Yahoo group page will only reveal the first part (ahead of the '@') of the email address. However, as soon as someone has registered and has subscribed to have the posts mailed, then the full email address will be visible in the posts mailed automatically whenever someone posts on the group.

So, once a spammer has successfully registered on the group, he will have access to the full email address.

Roland

fibber
14-10-2006, 13:56
I approve all registrations. The only people on the list are people that are part of the DRM community. It is clear to me who they are (from DRMRX).
Rest assured that I will not allow any bots or spammers unless they can accurately spoof callsigns and can lie really well about their DRM equipment ;)

Any North American DRMers that are now afraid to be a part of the list can email me privately!

Can we let the debate about spam die now? Seems as if there isn't enough to talk about regarding DRM... YIKES!