PDA

View Full Version : Smallest Possible Notebook or PC

ka2hzo
26-12-2005, 23:44
Hi,

I've spent the last year saving my $$ for a Stand alone DRM receiver. I am very disappointed to read now that. Nothing affordable will be in the stores until late 2006 early 2007 if at all.

Since it looks like we will be waiting for at least another year for a stand alone portable DRM receiver that does not require a computer to come to market if at all.

Therefore we would like to take our $$ and buy a new portabe PC device.

We are looking for the smallest possible notebook or PC device to use with the DRM USB receiver Digital World Traveler.

Does anyone have any product suggestions?

It sure would be great if one of the Pocket PC devices would
work.

Thankyou

dk8cb
27-12-2005, 09:26
Originally posted by ka2hzo
It sure would be great if one of the Pocket PC devices would
work.

From what I have seen so far, I guess that all those Pocket PCs don't have processors that are fast enough to be able to decode a DRM stream. Also, the cache size is rather small which might affect performance even further.

Software compatibility is also another issue.

Stand-alone receivers should really be available in the second quarter of 2006. Whether they will be affordable is another yet unanswered question and also a matter of your budget. ;)

After having seen working standalone DRM receivers at IFA, I'm still convinced that they will be available in due course.

Roland

DRM-Fan
27-12-2005, 10:41
2nd quarter now ? Where did you hear this ? I believe sometime around Jan or a few months after radios will be available. I presume the reason for delay is political as the spec surely was finalised some months ago

ka2hzo where did you read late 2006 etc ?

dk8cb
27-12-2005, 11:02
Originally posted by DRM-Fan
... I believe sometime around Jan or a few months after radios will be available.

Don't your own words "... or a few months after..." mean second quarter 2006?

As in all other fields, it always takes longer than initially expected.

Roland

ka2hzo
27-12-2005, 13:34
Stand-alone receivers should really be available in the second quarter of 2006

This is good News.

My budget is $1,000 USD We will wait then

Thanks

DRM-Fan
27-12-2005, 19:39
Originally posted by ka2hzo

This is good News.

My budget is $1,000 USD We will wait then

Thanks

Won't be anywhere near that much! More like around $300 or less hopefully... Tell me where you read late 2006

ka2hzo
27-12-2005, 21:07
I'm trying to find it for you.

I think it was a "Times" or a "RadioWorld" story.

I'm not sure where I read it.

This was the only thing I could find.
Which gives me the Impression of 2nd Q of 2006 also.

http://www.visteon.com/europe/uk/newsroom/press/2005/050902.shtml