PDA

View Full Version : Grundig/etón E1 (Satellit 900) Digital AM/FM/SW/XM

ka2hzo
08-11-2005, 22:33
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has checked out the new
Grundig/etón E1 yet?

It only has 3 filter bandwidths, 7.0, 4.0, 2.5 kHz

I wonder if the 7 kHz filter if not to sharp would let the 10 khz DRM if though.
This sure looks like a nice receiver. It's a real shame they didn't know to add a 10kHz filter.

NT2W
08-11-2005, 23:02
Looks like an interesting radio- I would be very interested but I'm a Sirius subscriber, not XM. I can't see changing satellite services since I already have the Sirius hardware and prefer Sirius due to the availability of World Radio Network, which is not on XM.

DRM would be a welcome bonus too, although there's essentially no DRM available here in Northeastern North America without a large external antenna. CBC's relay efforts are a nice try, but wrong band for here.

Rich

dk8cb
09-11-2005, 09:49
I talked to etón's representative at IFA in Berlin and asked about their intentions with regard to DRM. He said that there would be a DRM-capable receiver ie one with a built-in DRM decoder, from etón next year.

But I am not as sure about this as he seemed to be.

Roland

MikeB
09-11-2005, 12:24
Probably depends who you talk to in Eton. This is what Jonathan Marks posted in his Critical Distance weblog during and following IFA:

Just met Dr Esmail Hozour again after many years. He used to run Grundig North America. He is now CEO of Eton Corporation (Eton is Greek for solid) and bringing out a whole series of new radios, many made in Bangalore, India. It is the first time I have seen this type of quality out of India. Eton believe in DAB as well as XM and Sirius, but are taking a wait and see approach to DRM technology.
(September 4th)

Eton says they may make DRM radios one day - but they will let others lead with this technology.
(September 21st)

ka2hzo
09-11-2005, 13:58
Eton says they may make DRM radios one day - but they will let others lead with this technology.

Wow, He really said this:eek:

This is a real shame to read.

This makes me believe. He no longer wants to be on the cutting edge.

Or he thinks DRM is on the way to become a failure in Europe and the rest of the world.

I wonder if he knows something about some new technology waiting in the wings when DRM fails.

Could be it's :confused: Politics.:confused: too.