PDA

View Full Version : Radio's available 1st half of 2006

DRM-Fan
01-11-2005, 11:00
Radioscape tell me maybe April 2006 but sometime 1st half of 2006. So much for by end of the year then which I thought was too good to be true!

Anyone know if these modules also decode SSB ?

dk8cb
01-11-2005, 12:42
Originally posted by DRM-Fan
Anyone know if these modules also decode SSB ?

According to what I was told at IFA, they don't. They also receive AM with a single fixed bandwidth only.

But it would certainly be only a matter of a software change to accomplish this.

Roland

DRM-Fan
01-11-2005, 19:12
OK. Are you not dispointed at the delay or did you half expect it as I did ?

dk8cb
01-11-2005, 20:01
Originally posted by DRM-Fan
Are you not disappointed at the delay or did you half expect it as I did?

Well, I somwhat doubted that the receivers would be in the shops for Christmas this year since wholesalers and the big retail chains would have to be able to order the sets at about the time of IFA. But then, the manufacturers only had engineering samples and they perhaps had not even determined a final price for the sets or even written an end user's manual for them. I have already mentioned these facts in previous posts in the respective threads.

Also, I notice that each time a price is given for the receiver, it seems to rise a little above the amount mentioned last time when a price was stated. Remember the 99 EUR price mentioned about half a year ago. One must not forget that it would be in a manufacturer's and a retailer's interest that currently available DAB receivers, which are already priced quite high, would not come out more expensive than the new DAB + DRM sets. So in order to still be able to sell these non-DRM sets and to clear stocks, the new DAB + DRM sets will have to be more expensive.
Sad, but true. Perhaps this is also the reason behind the "political disagreement" in the way of an early launch.

Roland