PDA

View Full Version : Does dream work with Mac?

radiomann
02-10-2005, 18:56
Does dream work with MAC?

Paul

Andreas
02-10-2005, 20:43
Hi radiomann & All,

I have searched the answer myself for a long time. It seems to be NO. DREAM seems to work with Windows or Linux only.

I tried to run the software under MAC OS 10.4, but in an emulated Windows environment which is supplied by a software named Virtual PC. Unfortunately the Windows PC simulated is not very powerful, even though I used a PowerBook G4!!!

FhG Software worked, but not really good: I suffered from periodic dropouts, caused by system overload every 7,5 minutes (the whole bad story can be still read under soundcard issues..)

And any attempt to start DREAM made the system freeze!

So now I misuse my companys Laptop for DRM decoding.

I wold be VERY glad, to hear about a proper MAC solution.

73, Andreas

radiomann
02-10-2005, 20:49
Originally posted by Andreas
Hi radiomann & All,

I have searched the answer myself for a long time. It seems to be NO. DREAM seems to work with Windows or Linux only.

I tried to run the software under MAC OS 10.4, but in an emulated Windows environment which is supplied by a software named Virtual PC. Unfortunately the Windows PC simulated is not very powerful, even though I used a PowerBokk G4!!!

FhG Software worked, but not really good: I suffered from periodic dropouts, caused by system overload every 7,5 minutes (the whole bad story can be still read under soundcard issues..)

And any attept to start DREAM made the system freeze!

So now I misuse my companys Laptop for DRM decoding.

I wold be VERY glad, to hear about a proper MAC solu

73, Andreas

Many thanks Andreas.

Paul

corrados
03-10-2005, 10:45
Some time ago there were some attempts to compile Dream under Mac, see:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1202766&forum_id=242205

jbriggs
03-10-2005, 11:26
One of the BBC engineers compiled Dream for OSX (some years ago!). He had it working on a 1GHz Powerbook, although the Powerbook would not run much else when Dream was working.
Also he had to use an external soundcard as there was an issue with the apple sampling frequency 44.2 kHz (or something like that) whereas a PC soundcard will do 48kHz. someone with enough expertise could overcome the soundcard problem with software by resampling. If anyone is seriously interested in compiling Dream for OSX (it is not a small undertaking) please put a post on the Dream forum and let me know.
James

DRM-Fan
09-10-2005, 15:51
Yes it would be great if Dream could be compiled to run on a mac.

No doubt a ham radio person could acheive something ?
I could ask on the UK packet network perhaps ?

rad
26-10-2005, 04:05
Yes yes yes! I would be FABULOUS if someone could give some instructions into how to compile DREAM under Mac OS X. I have converted totally to Mac, so DRM has fallen by the wayside UNTIL someone gives some good instructions on how to compile for Max OS X. It should actually be quite easy due to OS X's underlying UNIX base, being similar to Linux.

If any smart cookie out there manages it, I'd love to know.