PDA

View Full Version : New version of DRM software

jbriggs
26-04-2005, 21:16
Good news! Fraunhofer have informed me that there will soon be an upgrade to the DRM software. I don't have full details, but I expect an improvement in the decoding & the addition of a CELP decoder. When I have a release date I will post more information. Of course the upgrade is free to all registered key holders.
James

dk8cb
26-04-2005, 21:29
That is very good news indeed!

Does it mean that the software is also still for sale, inspite what is written on the DRM Software Radio homepage (http://www.drmrx.org)?

Perhaps, a few people are still interested to buy it.

Roland

ka2hzo
27-04-2005, 20:28
Thankd for the great news.

Ron KA2HZO

carknue
29-04-2005, 20:35
Great news, I' m really looking forward to it.

radiomann
27-05-2005, 18:51
Hi James,
any more news yet?

Paul

jbriggs
27-05-2005, 19:50
Hi Paul, I spoke to Fraunhofer this week and they confirm the new version will be released & it will include a CELP decoder, but not for 2 months. That means towards the end of July.
James

radiomann
27-05-2005, 21:16
Thanks James.

ka2hzo
31-05-2005, 16:28
One month to go.

Do you know if there will also be an update for WinRadio receivers?

Thanks

Julian
02-06-2005, 23:24
Hi James, any chance of getting a fix to this (http://www.drmrx.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=17772)
issue into the next release?

Julian

simone
05-06-2005, 18:52
Hi James,
do you have any information if we can expect an improvement in decoding with regard to UEP transmissions in particular?
Simone

jbriggs
06-06-2005, 16:18
Winradio version, I don't know if this will be upgraded, I hope so though. Improved UEP decoding, I don't think there will be any changes here.
James

dk8cb
06-06-2005, 17:37
Originally posted by jbriggs
Improved UEP decoding, I don't think there will be any changes here.

Hi James,

that's a pity, because it seems that currently, neither DRMSWR nor Dream do support UEP properly. The current version of the FAAD2 library used in Dream does not support it and the decoder inside the DRMSWR does not seem to support it either, at least the reception results do not differ significantly, as can be seen in one of Carsten's recent reports (http://www.drmrx.org/forum/attachment.php?&postid=17862).

Older versions of the FAAD2 library used in Dream seemed to support UEP but this support was dropped when an error was corrected in the latest update.

Roland

simone
06-06-2005, 20:30
Hi James,
unlike Roland mentioned, of course the FhG decoder does support UEP but the logfiles are recorded in a different way by Dream and FhG software. Here is an example from this evening from Flevo, comparing a version of Dream supporting UEP (but stopped working after 20min) and the DRM SWR. There was not much difference when listening to both decoders. I think they should agree on one method to record the logfiles. Thatīs what I actually wanted to ask (but wrote something different, sorry ;))
Simone

carknue
02-08-2005, 21:15
Hi James,

any news about the update?

jbriggs
02-08-2005, 22:03
Hi Carsten, no official news from Fraunhofer, but they did release a new version of the professional version about 10 days ago. I think this is a good sign that we can expect something soon. I will ask them for an official comment.
James

simone
29-08-2005, 16:26
Hi James, all,
now that the update of the DWT software has been released about 2 weeks ago which already includes a CELP decoder, which I tested today, I think it should be no problem for FhG to release the new version of the DRM software as well.
73, Simone

jbriggs
02-09-2005, 22:56
If anyone (Simone/Roland?) is at IFA, it would be worth asking Fraunhofer about the upgrade date!
James

simone
03-09-2005, 16:11
Hi James, all,
good news :)
I did talk to Fraunhofer (without having read your post before), they have a new version available, I will send you an e mail about this later.
73, Simone

ka2hzo
03-09-2005, 21:08
Does this mean a new version or an update will be posted on Winradio's site?

tacitus-ms
12-09-2005, 17:03
When will the update really be available? They promised the customers with a valid licence support for their software. But that has never happened since december of 2003. If this is the support customers with official software can expect nobody should wonder about the usage of pirate copys. I am afraid CELP will never work and the known bugs will never be fixed.

regards tacitus-ms

simone
14-09-2005, 22:29
Hi tacitus-ms,
please keep in mind, when I wrote the post above, the people involved were still busy at IFA, after that IBC started immediately.
I am sure we will get the new version as promised as soon as poosible!
Simone

dabman
29-09-2005, 13:15
Brilliant!

I've got a new laptop (IBM R51) that has Windows XP and no serial port for my Ten Tec RX320D, so I've had to install a serial-USB adapter.

Currently, due to a long absence, I'm still using FrhG DRM software v2.0.34. I did have an old version of DReaM.

Not being a C++ programmer, I think someone kindly supplied me a compiled copy of DReaM. However, looking at pictures of the current version on Sourcefourge.net the whole thing appears to have moved on somewhat.

Does anyone know where I can get a fully compiled latest version of DReaM to try out.

Btw: I have seen various web pages with prototypes of an analogue/digital DAB/DRM/AM/FM that looks like the current large sized Roberts DAB radio. Car radios are a long way off. We're still struggling with DAB...

dk8cb
29-09-2005, 13:42
Originally posted by dabman
Currently, due to a long absence, I'm still using FrhG DRM software v2.0.34.

This still is the latest version that's currently available.

Roland

johnn
30-09-2005, 12:32
I think this could be what you want. Look down list of AAC decoders.
http://www.rarewares.org/aac.html

jbriggs
11-10-2005, 15:27
Good news: the new version will be released in the next week. It is called V2.0.38

The changes are:
improved the performance of the receiver
improved the Multimedia Player
and CELP speech decoder is added

WiNRADiO are integrating the new DLL into their software when this is done the 3 versions will be put on the WiNRADiO site:

WiNRADiO download (http://www.winradio.com/home/download-drm.htm)

BTW you need to click on the licence agreement at the bottom of the page.

Kind regards, James

mitajohn
16-10-2005, 12:10
Hi all,

The new version 2.0.38 is released. What will happen with the ones who have the key of the previous version?

John

carknue
16-10-2005, 12:29
Thanks John, for the notice.

The old key is also valid for the new version. Just copy your key file into the new directory.

There might be a bug with the coordinates enter box, so check your coordinates after entering. And there is still the red audio lamp while audio is perfectly decoded, so you still cannot campare the graph with Dream.

dk8cb
16-10-2005, 13:53
Originally posted by carknue
And there is still the red audio lamp while audio is perfectly decoded, so you still cannot compare the graph with Dream.

It would be very interesting to hear from Fraunhofer what the green lamp actually means in reality since this difference in behaviour to Dream has puzzled us for a long time.

Roland

simone
16-10-2005, 15:00
The only real improvement with the new version seems to be the CELP decoder.
Concerning results, DReaM is not perfect either, often the graph looks too optimistic. And of course for doing comparisons of results one should always use the same decoder.
Also for listening to UEP the FhG decoder is better (which can not be seen in the logfiles).
Simone

mitajohn
17-10-2005, 15:23
Hi all,

does any of you have this little bug in the appearance of the new version 2.0.38 of DRMSoft, as seen in the attachment, or is it my video card?

John.

ka2hzo
17-10-2005, 16:13
It's the units DBFS

simone
17-10-2005, 16:34
Hi Ron,
I guess John means that the "0" is not displayed correctly.
@ John: looks the same on my screen.
Simone

mitajohn
17-10-2005, 16:35
Yes, but "S" covers partialy the "0" of the vertical axis.
Thanks Simone,

John

carknue
17-10-2005, 21:18
Indeed, it looks a bit "unnice", but times are getting harder and DRMcalc also does not look nice any more ;-)

But at least FhG gave us back the missing frame around the volume slider.

CPU load increased from 33 to 34-35% on a PIII 933 Mhz CPU, but is still far below Dream which consumes 60-70% even with low settings.

Maybe it`s just imagination but I my impression is, that the overall performance is slightly increased. More pleasant to listen than with Dream.

The only thing I'm missing is, the support of 18 and 20kHz mode.

dk8cb
17-10-2005, 21:58
Hi,

despite the low bitrate, the CELP speech decoder on the new version sounds remarkably good. It can be tested on DW's 15545 kHz transmission during the news at the full hour.
Attached is a zipped MP3 recording made today, containing a switchover from one CELP service to the other as a demonstration for those who don't have the Fraunhofer software installed.

Roland

simone
17-10-2005, 22:09
Hi Roland, all,
there have been audio samples using CELP (http://www.drm.org/system/audiospeech.php) and other speech Codecs on the DRM website since some time now.
Simone

dk8cb
17-10-2005, 22:21
Originally posted by simone
there have been audio samples using CELP (http://www.drm.org/system/audiospeech.php) and other speech Codecs on the DRM website since some time now.

The bitrate on these samples is much lower than what DW currently uses. If I remember it correctly, the bitrate used today was 10.3 kbit/s, I'm not sure though.

Roland

Digger
18-10-2005, 12:55
Originally posted by carknue
Maybe it`s just imagination but I my impression is, that the overall performance is slightly increased. More pleasant to listen than with Dream.

Hi,

Sorry, cannot agree, I find the audio is muffled and with blubbery drop-outs. Compared to Dream, Dream sounds much better.

Terje

PS:
Correction! After I de-installed the old version and installed the new software on the PC, the sound quality improved drastically. Perhaps there was a conflict between versions, who knows.

Thanks to Roland for your input.

Terje

carknue
23-10-2005, 14:18
@Digger

Maybe you listened to a UEP transmission. That could sound quite blubbery with lower sound quality. But that is the job of UEP. And as newer versions of Dream doesn't support UEP anymore, maybe you didn't knew that.

I discovered that 2.0.38 allows a DC frequency offset of +/-1000Hz instead of +/-500Hz in former versions. That allows the combination of DWT and DRMSWR .

After listening to the second audio channel while a CELP transmission, it doesn't change back to the main aac+ audio channel. Only if you listen to the first CELP channel. You have to click on the main channel to get audio.

mitajohn
23-10-2005, 15:38
Yes, you are right!

John

johnn
24-10-2005, 14:07
Sorry to be rather slow, but where do I download the latest version from? I looked at the Winradio pages & was no wiser!
I have the original CD key.

Digger
24-10-2005, 14:15
Hi John,

Check jbriggs input above: His entry dated 11-10-2005 05:27 PM

Terje

johnn
25-10-2005, 11:42
Thanks Terje,

Got it! I am always missing the "terms & conditions" on websites.

mitajohn
16-11-2005, 14:08
Hi all,

I noticed that DRMSoft cannot display Russian or Arabic fonts while Dream can. Have anybody a clue?

John.

simone
17-11-2005, 19:47
Hi John,
itīs no problem with the DRM software but not on the main GUI, better use the MM player for the text messages. It also displays the headers from the BBC WS as bold characters (like DReaM does), see attachment
Simone

mitajohn
26-11-2005, 11:48
Hi Simone,

I believe that the displays must be strongly related. Take a look at the attached zip file.

John.